PDA

View Full Version : Maple tree for my woodturnings

Ad de Crom
29th April 2009, 05:02 PM
Got last week tuesday evening, a maple tree (esdoorn boom).
Remco, the boyfriend of my youngest daughter Karin, brought me this tree with his truck all the way from the Betuwe.
Cut already the tree into three pieces, and what left is a juge root ball, full with riverclay, I'm busy to remove this tough stuff with a hammer and chisel, have to do it this way, because the root ball is laying in the middle of plants and flowers of my LOML, so using a pressure water cleaner is not possible, else it will be not my best day :no:. Have to cut off after cleaning the root ball the outside roots, before I'm able to transport this heavy root ball to my woodstore. Its the meaning to use this root ball for my turnings.
Here pictures of this tree.
Cheers.
Ad (the hard working woodturner)

tea lady
29th April 2009, 05:15 PM
Very handy (Nearly) son in law.:cool: So......Lots of maple turnings now.

wheelinround
29th April 2009, 05:17 PM
Ad :o nice score :2tsup: daughter has nice friends :U

orificiam
29th April 2009, 10:36 PM
Hi Ad nice score there. you should be able to get one small bowl
out of the root ball:roll::roll: ok maybe two.Happy Turning.
Cheers Tony.:D:D

Willy Nelson
29th April 2009, 11:38 PM
Excellent. :2tsup:
Good story and good piccys. Good luck with the turning
Willy

joe greiner
30th April 2009, 12:32 AM
Ooooh! Great score, Ad. If the pressure washer is verboten, I suggest softening the dirt with ordinary garden hose, which shouldn't hurt the garden. And a lot of patience, too. The more dirt you remove, the longer your chain saw will last before re-sharpening.

There are miraculous grain patterns hidden in these, only waiting for you to discover.

Cheers,
Joe

Ad de Crom
30th April 2009, 02:46 AM
Ooooh! Great score, Ad. If the pressure washer is verboten, I suggest softening the dirt with ordinary garden hose, which shouldn't hurt the garden. And a lot of patience, too. The more dirt you remove, the longer your chain saw will last before re-sharpening.

There are miraculous grain patterns hidden in these, only waiting for you to discover.

Cheers,
Joe
Cut off already two sides, after cleaning of dirt (clay).
The magic word patience, patience more patience. Discovered already some very nice grain patterns, joehoeeeee.
Ad :2tsup:

bowl-basher
30th April 2009, 08:52 AM
:D:D:D:DIf you leave it outside long enugh all the rain you blokes have will wash it clean:D:D
Good haul Ad
Regards
Graham

artme
30th April 2009, 09:00 AM
I think he worst part for you will be waiting for every thing to dry out enough or turning. A great score.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Ed Reiss
30th April 2009, 12:08 PM
Kinda' looks like your daughter's boyfriend is trying to get on your good side big time, Ad.:U:U

Always nice to have friends and family with heavy equipment to help with our turning activity indulgences.:2tsup:

Looking forward to seeing some real nice stuff made by you from that root stock.