PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Sharpening Stones

vsquizz
17th June 2004, 07:27 PM
I have two old carborundum stones 75 x 225 mm and both are really out of flat from years of knife sharpening. Is there anyway I can get these flat like you can with a water stone and a diamond dresser. Its been suggested I rub the two faces together??. While I'm at it can anybody recommend a good brand of water stone for my chisels.

ozwinner
17th June 2004, 07:31 PM
Why do you want to sharpen stones? :confused:

Al

bitingmidge
17th June 2004, 07:58 PM
Why do you want to sharpen stones?

Stops them rolling...great for moss collectors.

I have recently rejuvenated a couple of old carborundum stones by:

a) Cleaning them with kerosine first, during and after the process.

b) Rubbing them together. (This only works if they are of exactly the same hardness - if not you will end up with them "fitting" each other perfectly, one convex, one concave.

Worked very well, and with less effort than I thought. About half an hour for a two-three mm dip, and I have very skinny arms.

I have seen descriptions of lapping them on Wet and Dry on glass, using a courser grain than the stone, and don't see any reason why that wouldn't work, but if they are of the same hardness don't bother>

Cheers,

P

derekcohen
17th June 2004, 10:04 PM
Can't help with the carborundum stones (although I have this memory of someone recommending 220 grit sandpaper, perhaps even a belt sander!).

As far as waterstones go, try them in this order of preference: Shaptons, Nortons, King (although these are cheapest and good value for money).

Regards from Perth

Derek

Grunt
17th June 2004, 11:03 PM
Why do you want to sharpen stones? :confused: I was wondering this as well. I thought that this went out in the stone age.

vsquizz
18th June 2004, 01:02 PM
[QUOTE=bitingmidge]Stops them rolling...great for moss collectors.

I have recently rejuvenated a couple of old carborundum stones by:

Yes Haha very funny guys.:rolleyes: Thanks Midge I'll give it a go. I figure I've got nothing to lose. I think both stones are from the same manufacturer so I hope they are similar. Interesting you mention kero. A shearer put me onto using kero as the sharpening lube many years ago and it seems to work well on carb. He used it for his wide combs.....but thats another story.

Actually the reason why I posted was I have this big piece of ironstone in my back yard and my old Stanley chisels just don't seem to cut it............:D

On a more serious note I've been researching some of the books on sharpening (tools you funny buggers) any suggestions on a good reference book??. I hate the way AWR reviews a book and often forgets to mention its country of origin.:confused:

bitingmidge
18th June 2004, 01:42 PM
Here's one I liked so much that I bought it!! (Usually I just borrow from the library.)

"The Complete Guide to Sharpening" By Leonard Lee - of Lee Valley Tools and published by Taunton Press. (As recommended also by Rob Lee on another thread!- Father of Leonards Grandchildren according to himself).

It is a FWW Publication, and covers sharpening of everything except, hammers, mower blades and scissors. The latter is the only one I would have liked in there as well.

Cheers,

P

vsquizz
18th June 2004, 02:16 PM
Thanks again Midge...I'll look the book up

(I've just tried the scissors on my stone and they don't seem to cut it.........:) )

Regards

silentC
18th June 2004, 02:31 PM
Everyone knows that stone beats scissors. You need paper ;)

Rocker
18th June 2004, 03:04 PM
Squizzy,

The best book on sharpening I know is called, surpringly, 'Sharpening' by Nick Engler, in his Workshop Companion series. It is out of print, by you might be able to get a used copy from Amazon for less than US$10. It has plans for building your own grinder.

Rocker

vsquizz
19th June 2004, 12:34 AM
Thanks Rocker, I put it on my wish list. Midge where did you get Leonard Lee's book from. Amazon have it at about $40 Aust$ including delivery. AWR want about $60.00

Robert WA
19th June 2004, 01:42 AM
A couple of friends of mine. Next time I see them, I will ask them their way of sharpening.

bitingmidge
19th June 2004, 07:43 AM
where did you get Leonard Lee's book from

One of the technical bookhops in Brisbane, Could have been "The American Bookstore". I paid about $45.00 a year ago when the dollar was worth a lot less, so Amazon is pretty spot-on this time!

In fairnes to AWR they have probably had the thing in stock for a while, (or at that price it could be a hard cover version) why not try Taunton Press direct? I have always had stupendous service from them although I do like to keep local businesses alive as a matter of first choice, for 30% difference I'd go there! Taunton Press (http://www.taunton.com)

Cheers,

P

squizcat
21st June 2004, 05:05 PM
Hey Squizzy,

You can flatten Carborundum stones by lapping for several days and or months on a sheet of glass with carborundum powder and kero.. For the price of a new stone, you might as well get yourself a new one.

You can also use a clean carborundum stone with water to flatten water stones. I asked an old man in sharpening store in Japan what to use. He looked like he was a hundred in the shade. He laughed as he pulled out a carborundum stone, explaining this was the high tech way.

For a 1000 grit stone, just buy the cheapest one you can find. They are generally quite cheap in contrast to the finer stones, but cut very aggressively. a 4000 grit King stone is good for honing and if you want finer, Shapton make very good finer grit stones. An 8000 grit is fine enough for any application with tool steel.

The Leonard Lee sharpening reference is Excellent!

scooter
21st June 2004, 10:19 PM
Squizzy, re flattening oilstones, I have used the coarse paper sold for use on floor sanders. It is very heavy duty paper that cuts and lasts well.

Re cleaning stones - I have boiled up old oilstones in a pot of water on the stove with a handful of washing soda mixed in - cleans them out very well. Just don't use the bride's good Bessemerware...DAMHINT :eek:

I also used a diamond cutting disk in the angle grinder to cut a stone in half & square up the edges.

I bought John Jurantich's book, Razor Edge guide to Sharpening I think it's called. It's pretty thorough with explaining the whys & wherefores of sharpening different sorts of edge tools. I have heard a million recommendations for the Leonard Lee book though so I'd probably go for that one.

Do a google search on sharpening, there is a ton of articles out there you could download & print out for reference.

Good luck........cheers...........Sean

vsquizz
25th June 2004, 05:09 PM
SquizCat & Midge

I'm STILL rubbing

jackiew
25th June 2004, 08:09 PM
and covers sharpening of everything except, hammers, mower blades and scissors. The latter is the only one I would have liked in there as well.
P

my mum sharpens scissors by opening the blades up and then closing them round the neck of a milk bottle ( still got doorstep deliveries in some places in uk) and then pulling the scissors away from the bottle while closing them further at the same time ... this runs the length of the scissor blade edge along the bottle as you do it. hard to visualise but you'll work out what I mean if you try it. This will work on beer bottles too, i just tried it :)