PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Question

smidsy
17th June 2004, 10:59 PM
Hei Guys,
Hoping someone can recommend a good general use finish for wood turning.
The main timber will be pine, but I also plan on using teak, tassie blackwood and others and if possible I don't want to have to buy a different finish for every type of timber.
My budget is limited so buying one of everything in the shop to try is simply not an option for me.
When I was in school some 20 years ago I got good results with bees wax, but I have since developed a violent allergy to bee sting and I haven't been able to find out if bees wax is safe for me so I would rather avoid that.

Thanks in advance
Smidsy

Wayne Davy
17th June 2004, 11:04 PM
Smidsy,

I suggest you check out the owner of this forum www.ubeaut.com.au (http://www.ubeaut.com.au)

Best finishes available!!

smidsy
17th June 2004, 11:27 PM
Thanks, I've checked out the ubeaut website, and the Carbatec and Timbecon sites.
If I had the money I would buy one of everything and have a play but that is simply not an option so I was hoping for some recommendations on a good all round product.
Cheers
Smidsy

DarrylF
18th June 2004, 07:08 AM
Smidsy,

Ubeaut Shellawax cream. Works on just about everything, lasts quite a while, does a really nice job and works out as good value.

I doubt beeswax is going to give you a problem BTW - I'm seriously allergic to bee stings myself and have never had a problem with it.

PAH1
18th June 2004, 11:17 AM
"When I was in school some 20 years ago I got good results with bees wax, but I have since developed a violent allergy to bee sting and I haven't been able to find out if bees wax is safe for me so I would rather avoid that."

Most, but not all allergies, are to the protein components of whatever is causing the allergy. There is no protein in beeswax and so is very unlikely to be a problem.