PDA

View Full Version : does that regular steel wool you buy got oil in it ?

JDarvall
30th April 2009, 07:04 AM
uno the stuff you buy from bunnings in a roll. seems to be supplied everywhere. blue in the label. forgotton the name.

read somewhere that some steel wools got oil in it, which wouldn't be good for water based coats.

bit worried that I'm using the wrong steel wool.

thanks

Shedhand
30th April 2009, 06:13 PM
uno the stuff you buy from bunnings in a roll. seems to be supplied everywhere. blue in the label. forgotton the name.

read somewhere that some steel wools got oil in it, which wouldn't be good for water based coats.

bit worried that I'm using the wrong steel wool.

thanksg'day Jake, The stuff with the Blue Label is fine. No Oil. I use it. And if you use it for French Polishing be aware that if you use bog standard metho to make your polish (in other words contains 5% H2O) then any fines that come loose from the steel wool will go rusty under your finish. Size 0000 is the one to use.
Cheers

JDarvall
30th April 2009, 09:55 PM
ta mate. I was just worried because thinking the oil residue may influence milk paint coats. thanks.

pawnhead
30th April 2009, 10:24 PM
What I can't get over is that you pay more than twice as much for steel wool without soap in it. :((

It's a bit like the scam they run with these 'light' milk types. I reckon that they just mix it with water, and double the price. :wink:

jatt
30th April 2009, 10:40 PM
It's a bit like the scam they run with these 'light' milk types. I reckon that they just mix it with water, and double the price. :wink:

Could not agree more. Its the full cream stuff or nothing for me.