PDA

View Full Version : Brassed Off - Goneostat

wheelinround
30th April 2009, 11:08 AM
A mate came along to Hare & Forbes open day recently and spotted one of the sharpening jigs a member had on display which was made of wood.

The Jig is called a Goneostat, its for sharpening cutters used in Ornamental work.

Made in 12 hours (not all at once he kept a time record) all Brass except Stainless Steel Hardware.

Adjustment is via the brass slide for angle on the vertical and the main body twists for horizontal.

jmk89
30th April 2009, 03:14 PM
Can I get this straight - the friend came with you to the H&F open day and saw a wooden one of these on display and then made one from brass and SS? Maybe I'm confused - which one is wooden and which one is brass?

Anyway it looks great.

If like me you've never heard of a goneostat before - here's a webpage on its use (http://www.turners.org/Articles/sharpen2.html):google2:

wheelinround
30th April 2009, 03:18 PM
Sorry Jeremy

Ok Mate met me at H&F's he gets day release for these events from where he works the Ornamental Turners group were doing a display there one of the apparatus on display was a wooden Goneostat (I think made from Jarrah). After discussion with the owner of the wooden one I was asked to e-mail plans for one.

The one in the photo's is brass all except nuts n bolts which are SS Edited and 2 nylon lock screws at each side

jmk89
30th April 2009, 03:23 PM
So you have aplan for one of these? Is a copy available?

wheelinround
30th April 2009, 04:27 PM
Sorry took so long Jeremy tried finding the link which was Society Of Ornamental Turners

pm me your e-mail if your still interested

artme
30th April 2009, 05:06 PM
Goneostats are an old type sharpening jig that fell out of favour and use many years ago, I guess when electric grinders became readily available. From what I have read they take some skill to use effectively.

wheelinround
30th April 2009, 05:39 PM
Grinders are ok but for honing these are ideal especially with small cutters and using either diamond paste or graphite carbarundum

President whiles away the hours doing his :roll:

Edwards
1st June 2009, 06:39 PM
A mate came along to Hare & Forbes open day recently and spotted one of the sharpening jigs a member had on display which was made of wood.

The Jig is called a Goneostat, its for sharpening cutters used in Ornamental work.

Made in 12 hours (not all at once he kept a time record) all Brass except Stainless Steel Hardware.

Adjustment is via the brass slide for angle on the vertical and the main body twists for horizontal.

Congratulations to the maker. A few graduation markings which I am sure will soon appear and its all go.

Cheers
Edwards :)