PDA

View Full Version : more whistles

burraboy
30th April 2009, 02:49 PM
this probably isn't the greatest pic, but here are some whistles not far off finished. Would anyone like to speculate on the woods involved?
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk103/synwhistles/wood.jpg
A mix of natives and fruit/ornamentals.

Sebastiaan56
1st May 2009, 06:07 PM
Its a bit difficult to see the timbers but the whistles look well made! Are they D whistles?

Ill guess Maple, Cooktown Ironwood, Jarrah

burraboy
2nd May 2009, 07:38 AM
Thanks Sebastiaan, they are indeed D's, the one at the top has a C body as well. Not close on the woods but I'll try for a clearer pic.

burraboy
4th June 2009, 08:02 AM
Whoops, sorry but they just sort of slipped away from me before I could get a decent photo. The woods involved for anyone interested are;
Manchurian Pear, very stable and easy to work but a bit plain looking
2 Lancewoods, light and dark just showing the colour variation
Beefwood
Marran
Cotoneaster, looks a lot like European box, works beautifully

Sebastiaan56
8th June 2009, 07:40 AM
Ho hard is Cotoeaster? I have a front yard full of the stuff.

burraboy
9th June 2009, 08:04 AM
How hard is it? If you've got a yard full of it the answer is close at hand! Lovely to work and stable but does not take a high finish. If you want some pruning done let me know, I'm not so far from you and stocks are down.

issatree
13th June 2009, 08:17 PM
Hi Burraboy,
Cotoneaster is almost my favourite Turning Wood, so hard, & very,very stable. I love to make small kitchen Scoops, String Pull Spinning Tops, & other articles as well. There is a certain c/easter, that has long straight "sticks" & they make great walking sticks, & of course there is a bit of work to do for the handle. Just thought I would give you my thoughts.
REGARDS.
ISSATREE.