PDA

View Full Version : Makita tool less clamp conversion

bob.jager
19th June 2004, 02:01 PM
Has anyone out there in scrollers world retrofitted a tool less clamp onto a Makita?

I have no problems with the Makita apart from the frustrations of changing blades with the piddly little allen key. I noted in one post that a long Tbar allen may be an answer. But I was wondering if anyone had actually replaced the grub screws with something that you could get a grip onto, or actually replaced the clamps with something more civilised?

Here's hoping.

Bob J

Iain
19th June 2004, 05:01 PM
Maybe it is worth seeing if the Dewalt screws would fit, if the thread is the same size and pitch. They are like little wing nuts.
Bear in mind that the end of the screw is on a gimbal to prevent twist on the blade.

fxst
19th June 2004, 11:02 PM
I used the long t-handle allan key for my makita and worked well till the head stripped out .....replaced them and gave the machine to swambo and no more probs ....musta been holdin my toungue in the wrong way :)
my current machine has no such probs
Pete

scooter
22nd June 2004, 12:32 AM
Gday Bob, my GMC has allen headed grub screws in the blade clamps, they are a metric thread on mine.

I replaced one grub screw in each clamp with a knob which can be tightened sufficiently by hand. I made each of these by shortening a plastic adjusting knob scrounged off the back of an old car headlight, and inserting a 25 mm metric bolt throug the middle of it, so about 6 or so mm of thread was left exposed, to screw into the clamp.

Works a treat, much faster to change blades & no tools to lose. Looks pretty jazzy too (most important :o ), and is even orange in colour (eat your heart out Peter :D :D )

Small point, use a file or a diamond sharpening stone to flatten the ends of the grub screws and/or bolts, I found they gripped the blade much better.

HTH.........cheers.........Sean

bob.jager
25th June 2004, 04:19 PM
:) :)
Thanks for your replies and ideas. On the weekend I'll have a go at modifying my clamps.

Regards,

Bob J