PDA

View Full Version : Vicmark step jaws

jefferson
30th April 2009, 08:12 PM
I will soon have two sets of bowl jaws - a big one for the VM150 that has adapted for easier use. A smaller version for a VM 100 chuck will arrive soon from Jim Carroll.

But I am still wondering whether the Vicmarc step jaws will be of use. The Carbatec catalogue states:

"Designed by woodturner and auther Richard Raffan, these jaws are used for holding a range of spigot sizes with a minimum of jaw movement and without the necessity to change the jaws. Boxes are easily turned by using the step jaws. The bottom can be turned by holding the rim without leaving unsightly pressure marks."

I am trying to turn lidded boxes - among other things - and perhaps the step jaws are another solution. (Raffan turns the bottoms off his boxes on his DVD using a turned pressure fit piece of timber fixed in chuck jaws).

I want to run high speed, unlike what is on offer with the Vicmarc bowl jaws.

Has anyone used the step jaws? Comments? On what size chuck? (My collection of chucks is growing by the day.....).

thanks Jeff

Calm
30th April 2009, 08:24 PM
Who is the tool sl_t on this forum?:D:D:p

Cheers

Tim the Timber Turner
30th April 2009, 09:16 PM
I find step jaws to be a PITA.

You can't use the inner jaws to hold the base of a bowl because the outer jaws make contact with bottom of the bowl before the bowl seats in the inner jaws.

Boxes and vases forms would be ok.

When holding with the inner jaws there is no access to the base of the work because the outer jaws prevent this.

There is usually a trade off in the depth of the steps and I find the steps are not deep enough to hold green timber when roughing out.

Both sets I own have had the centre step machined away to give more depth and are used as a one size only jaw set.

Like many multi-purpose tools, step jaws are a compromise.

That's been my experience for what it's worth.

Cheers

Tim:)

TTIT
30th April 2009, 11:13 PM
Gotta agree with Tim on that score. Thought I would use them heaps when I first bought them but rarely fit them up these days. :C

mick61
30th April 2009, 11:23 PM
G`day I agree with Titt and Tim I make a lot of boxes and always jam chuck than use the step jaws because the spigot has to be an exact size not to leave marks. Also if you want to do any work on the outside of the box once finished there is no room at the top so you have to jam chuck anyway. Good Idea doesn`t work for me.
Mick:D

jefferson
1st May 2009, 09:30 AM
Thanks for all the feedback. Raffan must use the step jaws for job lots where the jaws exactly meet the diameter of the boxes???

Anyway, I'll save my money based on your collective advice.

Jeff

TTIT
1st May 2009, 09:40 AM
Thanks for all the feedback. Raffan must use the step jaws for job lots where the jaws exactly meet the diameter of the boxes???

Anyway, I'll save my money based on your collective advice.

JeffTo be fair, they are still useable and I don't regret buying them. One trick I use if the diameter of the box/lid doesn't match well are pieces of PVC pipe a mm or 2 longer than the jaw depth with a split to allow it to contract with the jaws. This acts to not only alter the diameter but also cushions the contact to reduce marking on finished work. (It also reduces grip a little but works fine if you keep that in mind!):U