PDA

View Full Version : Chinese Cabinet Makers - Melbourne

Nermal
1st May 2009, 01:01 AM
Hello,

new here and not sure if this is the right place to post....

I have a Queen Anne style table with cabriole legs. It is stamped underneath with a triangle type stamp. In the middle it says "CABINET MAKERS CHINESE LABOR". Around the triangle edges it says "EASTERN FURNITURE 28 LITTLE LONSDALE STREET MELBOURNE"

All i have been able to find out is that from 1896 in Victoria, chinese cabinet makers were made to stamp their furniture stating chinese labor...

I cannot find any info about this particular furniture factory, or when this table would have been built, and what its value may be.

If anyone can direct on the right path, or help out in any way....it will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Nermal

BrettC
2nd May 2009, 02:28 PM
Try starting here (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=49266&highlight=furniture+stamp).

Lumber Bunker
2nd May 2009, 02:33 PM
We might be going back down that path soon.
A very protectionist policy that manufacturers used to keep Australian wages and working conditions.

Canada has funny manufacturing laws, if an item is made in Canada from parts made out side canada then it maust be stated on the item, (varrious %'s are allowed i think).