PDA

View Full Version : WOODWORKING QUIZ for 19 June 04

Ralph Jones
19th June 2004, 09:49 PM
Good Evening Friends,
Well, Monday the 21st of June starts our summer, so I imagine that it is the start of your winter aye?

Now for the wood quiz;
When a softwood log is cut so the annular rings form an angle greater than a 45 deg.with the surface of the board/timber, the lumber is called__________________.

Respectfully, :)

Ian007
19th June 2004, 10:43 PM
1/ nay!
we just start it on the first of the month to make it easyier

it does not matter in the big picture as the weather will do as it wants!!

2/ Pine? HaHaHa
no bloody idea
cheers Ian

macca2
19th June 2004, 10:44 PM
Our winter starts on the first of June, but the 21st of June is about the shortest day of the year here.

Why is softwood cut on an angle greater than 45 degrees different to hardwood cut on the same angle.

macca :confused: :confused:

Tonz
20th June 2004, 12:08 AM
Not quite sure what you're asking for here Ralph nor why you are restricting it to softwoods.

Lumber is generally cut in one of three ways...

In flat- or plain-sawn lumber, the growth rings are generally parallel to the board's surface

In quarter-sawn lumber, the growth rings are generally perpendicular to the board's surface

In rift-sawn lumber the growth rings are generally at 30 to 60 degree angles to the board's surface

so I'm guessing the answer you are seeking is rift-sawn... Either that or I'm completely on the wrong track...:)

Ralph Jones
20th June 2004, 10:38 AM
Good Morning Friends,
Tonz you are probably correct with you rift sawn as I am not quite familiar with your local terms on the matter. Other wise you are pretty much on the money.

Following is the American terms for them;
Most lumber is cut so the annular rings form an angle less than 45 deg. with the surface of the board. This produces lumber called flat - grained if it is softwood, or plain sawed if it is hardwood. this method produces the least waste.

Lumber can also be cut so the annular rings form an angle more than 45 deg. with the surface of the board. this method is called Edge - Grain if it is softwood, and Quarter sawed if it is hardwood.

Thank you for your support.

Respectfully, :)