PDA

View Full Version : A STUBBY gloat

Calm
3rd May 2009, 06:10 PM
Yep this is exactly what the title says a gloat that i got a stubby yesterday and you didnt.

So some photos

104134 104135 104136

104137 104138 104139

It was my birthday and also a BBQ at my house for forum members.

It was organsied to pickup on Friday afternoon in Carrum Downs so i went down with the trailer and picked it up, then picked up Skew and home to Ballarat.

We were wondering how to unload it so my SIL came around and after removing the bed, tailstock & banjo he lifted up the front of the trailer and Skew and i carefully (very very carefully) slid it out onto the concrete floor of the shed.

Skew made 2 chisel handles on it on friday night while i cut some blanks for the turners on Saturday, Then "claimed" it first on Saturday and it wasnt until after teh BBQ that i snuck out to the shed and finished roughing out the bowl had been mucking around with. (like a bloody old woman)

Then and Nalmo had another go and i finallly had a second attempt later in the afternoon.

Calm
3rd May 2009, 06:14 PM
So today i had to go to the farm for the morning and then this afternoon i got into the shed and roughed down the outside of the last 5 blanks that the others didnt do yesterday.

I am waiting for inserts for my SN2 chucks before i do the insides of these blanks. ( & Skew kindly brought theirs with them yesterday)

So hear they are some Silky Oak from the tree i slabbed in Queensland, some wasatree from the Main street of Ballarat and one peice that i was kindly given by MicD when in Queensland.

Suggestions on the final shapes is welcome. remember the inside is yet to be done.

When the big silky oak was on i started it at about 400 rpm without the lathe being bolted down at all.

So to all you losers who dont own a STUBBY do yourself a favour and buy one:D:D:D:D :p:p

In case you cant tell i am very happy with it. Now to pay off the bankcard. ah well that means more time in the truck and less time in the shed - just doesnt seem fair - i reckon work is totally overated.:B:C

Cheers all - i gotta go polish it up before my kids take me out for tea.

bobsreturn2003
3rd May 2009, 06:34 PM
very nice. please send to me in kuranda ,and i promise to clean it every day!!!! well done always wanted one . one day maybe . cheers bob

new_guy90
3rd May 2009, 06:38 PM
na dont want a stubby to big for me. have fun

dai sensei
3rd May 2009, 06:48 PM
Lucky man, I'm totally envious :((. Not just to have a Stubby, but to have the room to put one :U

Enjoy :cool:

jefferson
3rd May 2009, 09:27 PM
Calm,

I am so very disappointed - and happy - for/with you.

First, a man with 6 chisels doesn't need a Stubby. (You shoulda got a Vicmarc!). Are you now a tool sl*t?

But I know you have been so patient, so please enjoy and turn some really big stuff!.

regards Jeff

Calm
3rd May 2009, 09:34 PM
Calm,

I am so very disappointed - and happy - for/with you.

First, a man with 6 chisels doesn't need a Stubby. (You shoulda got a Vicmarc!). Are you now a tool sl*t?

But I know you have been so patient, so please enjoy and turn some really big stuff!.

regards Jeff

Thanks mate i am desperately looking for a peice of wood i can lift that is 750mm diameter. might have to be cypress. As for chisels you & Ern have been influencing me slightly and Jim Carroll is now a slightly richer man as a result.

Will get a big bit on there shortly and you can be sure there will be photos.

Cheers

RETIRED
3rd May 2009, 10:04 PM
So all those with VL 300's etc can safely leave their lathes unguarded now. The threat has passed and people can sleep safely in the fact that Ccaallmm (name changed to reflect the new status) seems happy with his new toy.:D

tea lady
3rd May 2009, 10:14 PM
So all those with VL 300's etc can safely leave their lathes unguarded now. The threat has passed and people can sleep safely in the fact that Ccaallmm (name changed to reflect the new status) seems happy with his new toy.:D Yeah! But now people with hoists (to heave those big lumps o' wood ) have to guard their workshops.:C :p

RETIRED
3rd May 2009, 10:46 PM
Gees you are right. Better lock the fork lift up and guard the gantry.:D

DJ’s Timber
3rd May 2009, 10:55 PM
Yeah! But now people with hoists (to heave those big lumps o' wood ) have to guard their workshops.:C :p

You do raise a good point there tealady.

Especially when you have people like me roaming with a crane truck and a recently acquired forklift :roll:

tea lady
3rd May 2009, 11:03 PM
You do raise a good point there tealady.

Especially when you have people like me roaming with a crane truck and a recently acquired forklift :roll::? Is your forklift all terrain? Or have you concreted the back yard.:think:

Calm
3rd May 2009, 11:13 PM
:offtopic::hijacked::negrep:

Hey come on this thread is about me not DJ & his bloo&y forklift - get back on topic:D:D:D

DJ’s Timber
3rd May 2009, 11:13 PM
:? Is your forklift all terrain? Or have you concreted the back yard.:think:

Couldn't tell you that, it'll take the suspense out :doh:

And no I haven't concreted the yard :roll:

Grumpy John
3rd May 2009, 11:36 PM
David, am I seeing double or are you a now a man of many letters :rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D. Congratulations on the new acquisition.

Calm
3rd May 2009, 11:47 PM
David, am I seeing double or are you a now a man of many letters :rolleyes::D. Congratulations on the new acquisition.

Copied this from another thread with his advice from another distinguished gentleman (anyone who owns a STUBBY is Distinguished and probably a gentleman)

Originally Posted by Calm
PS. a couple of questions for TTIT & RSSER & LITTLE FESTO
- do i need to change my log in to CCALM or a double letter name now i got a STUBBY YEP!

- Also do stubby owners still asociate with the rif raf NEVER(you know those with inferior lathes like vicmarks, GMC and MC900's, ryobi even those elcheapo VL300's) :p

- Is there a Stubby owners club YES and how often do the newsletters come out and that sort of stuff.:D VERY EXCLUSIVE EMAIL BASED THINGY

PPS the shed is now locked - hasnt been for the past 2 years :o GOTTA KEEP THE RIFF-RAFF OUT EH!

Following on from this advice i thought it only appropriate that some alterations be made to fit in with my change of standing in the community.:B:doh:

Although why i am answering posts from the peasants has me mystified at the moment:D:D:D:D:D

Cheers

Paul39
4th May 2009, 06:05 AM
It won't be right until it has a stripe of your favorite finish across the bed.

Then it will have been properly christened.

Congratulations.

Jim Carroll
4th May 2009, 09:37 AM
Look out Ccaallmm is forgetting about all those people who helped him get to the lofty heights of the Stubbie.

May be time to bring him back down to the real world he has had his day in the sun.:D

rsser
4th May 2009, 10:23 AM
Reckon maybe 48 hours is enough time for a gloat.

Now we move into 'Ah, David, I've got a metre wide lump of redgum, reckon I can come up and turn it on the Stubby?' ;-}

dai sensei
4th May 2009, 10:33 AM
Hmm, I've got that 650mm dia bluegum fork blank that needs to be roughed out :rolleyes: I wonder if the handles on my bag will support it on my next trip down :-

Ed Reiss
4th May 2009, 12:34 PM

Hey come on this thread is about me not DJ & his bloo&y forklift - get back on topic:D:D:D

Dear Lord...the evil Stubby has gone to his head....be no livin' with the bloke now:doh::o

artme
4th May 2009, 12:40 PM

Now,now David---cccaaallmm ddownn!:D:D:D

jefferson
4th May 2009, 12:44 PM
David,

I've had long theoretical discussions with and DJ. On your next interstate trip, we will pillage your shed, take your new Stubby to another home (probably mine) and relieve you of all your tools you so recently acquired. We'll leave you all the cr@p.

In place of all that is taken, you will find:

- a Delta midi lathe, complete with a long bed extension
- a cheap set of Chinese chisels, 5 in all
- a brief note of thanks

And we will ransack your timber supply as well, rest assured.

Jeff

orraloon
4th May 2009, 12:55 PM
Lucky beggar! :2tsup:

tea lady
4th May 2009, 02:10 PM

:C:rolleyes: Jeez! Looks like the name should now be " Streess outt" or "Knickkers in a twistt".:p If that's what a Stubby does to you I don't want one.:q

Groggy
4th May 2009, 02:12 PM
My BS detector just went through the roof!

If that's what a Stubby does to you I don't want one.:qOh, that's why! :rolleyes::p

tea lady
4th May 2009, 02:14 PM
My BS detector just went through the roof!

Oh, that's why! :rolleyes::p:whistling:

Grumpy John
4th May 2009, 02:53 PM
Ddaavviidd, you're gunna need an overhead hoist to do jobs like this:

104222 104221

Calm
4th May 2009, 06:55 PM
Jim your a hard man - 8.37 am on the 4th when my birthday is the 2nd. Talk about 5 minutes of fame or whatever - with you around a bloke is lucky to get about 27 seconds.:C:C

As for Jefferson i think 10 minutes in your shed would reap me bigger benifits than 2 hours in mine.:2tsup::oo:

GJ that is one of the things that i will definetely have when i finally get my OWN shed.

Tea Lady you been drinking coffee again - YOU KNOW YOU WANT ONE :roll::U:D

dai sensei and anyone else coming to Ballarat - your welcome to come and try it out.

And Ern this one is only a 750 i still cant handle a metre size lump:(:o:no: Dont do that to me.:?:?

Cheers

jefferson
4th May 2009, 06:58 PM
It's strange that some people have their mind set from the start. I think David did once he saw Ern's Stubby.

Stubby? Never heard of one until long after I got hooked on Vicmarc.

So why David, please tell us why you spent the $7-8K on the Stubby? Can it do 750mm table legs? Please also give us the estimated weight. A few of us are unsure about what sort of crane gear we need to remove it from your shed.

Jeff

Groggy
4th May 2009, 07:11 PM
Suddenly there are 6 VL300 lathes on eBay (http://groggy.homeip.net/Calm.html) :oo:

Calm
4th May 2009, 07:20 PM
Suddenly there are 6 VL300 lathes on eBay (http://groggy.homeip.net/Calm.html) :oo:

That is downright cruel :C:C:((:(( - you are a person of questionable humour - i already checked the trading post and ebay today to make sure.:q:q

I'm sure there will be one soon - been no VL300 or Stubby for over 12 months now.

Jeff - weight well ask Skew he lifted it off the trailer. Why buy a Stubby instead of VL300 - well why buy second best when you can have the best.:p:q:doh::doh:

Cheers

Grumpy John

Gotta admit I looked too :-.

rsser
Heheh. All moving to Stubbies ;-}

David, you can easily handle an irregular blank with a metre in max diameter. One hand working the gouge and the other on the reversing switch. Reposition on the spindle as you work off the high points.

Course you've gotta wear your ten gallon hat and suck on some chawin bakky while you do it. Welcome to Stubbyland.

jefferson
4th May 2009, 07:53 PM
Go get him Ern, and definitely no free advice!

After he's lost interest, I'll put an offer in.

Just to keep up with the Jone's.

Jeff

Calm
4th May 2009, 08:12 PM
Go get him Ern, and definitely no free advice!

After he's lost interest, I'll put an offer in.

Just to keep up with the Jone's.

Jeff

Sorry Jeff i just bought my last lathe - the only way you will get this is as a deceased estate:C:C

Cheers

DJ’s Timber
4th May 2009, 08:22 PM
Hhmmm, think I've one or two 150mm thick by 800 or 900 wide flitches sitting around here somewhere or alternatively you could do a rectangular winged bowl of of some of the 200mm thick x 500 or 600 so wide by 1200 long or maybe even turn some bedheads for me out of the 300mm square by 1200 long.

Oh and this is all in redgum :H

funkychicken
4th May 2009, 08:36 PM
Sorry Jeff i just bought my last lathe - the only way you will get this is as a deceased estate:C:C

Cheers

I sure we can arrange that:D

Ed Reiss
5th May 2009, 12:19 PM
So, David...won't be any problem at all to turn those pens now, eh? :D

Calm
5th May 2009, 04:37 PM
So, David...won't be any problem at all to turn those pens now, eh? :D

Ed i tried pens in fact i made 3 and without commenting on penturners i think the next one woll be just after starts making them although i do have about 10 kits in the cupboard.

No i like bowls and S&P shakers/grinders

Cheers

tea lady
5th May 2009, 06:20 PM
was thinking of doing a pen like this.

http://www.proserpinewoodturners.com/TheBigPen.html

jefferson
5th May 2009, 06:27 PM
Ed i tried pens in fact i made 3 and without commenting on penturners i think the next one woll be just after starts making them although i do have about 10 kits in the cupboard.

Cheers

Apparently David likes turning S & P grinders by the dozen - that way he tells me he ends up with at least one matching pair.

Yes, some challenges ahead on the Stubby....

Jeff

Calm
5th May 2009, 06:46 PM
Apparently David likes turning S & P grinders by the dozen - that way he tells me he ends up with at least one matching pair.

Yes, some challenges ahead on the Stubby....

Jeff

Jeff out of a dozen i would hope for 2 sets and the first of 8 other sets.

That is the challenge alright geting 2 close enough to be called a set.

You want to have a go at them they are good fun, beads, coves and with a big ball on the end - getting 2 of them the same is as challenging as any other part.

Cheers

jefferson
5th May 2009, 07:31 PM
David,

Two out of ten aint that bad.

left me maybe 50 25mm pine blanks about 180mm long to practice making honey dippers.

There is already a growing pile of scrap - skew catches on the long beads - and another pile that look remarkably dissimilar. Yep, not one the same. Practice, practice....

Jeff

Calm
5th May 2009, 08:29 PM
David,

Two out of ten aint that bad.

left me maybe 50 25mm pine blanks about 180mm long to practice making honey dippers.

There is already a growing pile of scrap - skew catches on the long beads - and another pile that look remarkably dissimilar. Yep, not one the same. Practice, practice....

Jeff

I know the feeling:~:~

GC
5th May 2009, 11:03 PM
Groggy, that was really wrong!

I spent 20 minutes looking before I clicked on your link........

Not sure if that makes you cruel or me stupid:rolleyes:

GC

Ed Reiss
6th May 2009, 03:18 AM
was thinking of doing a pen like this.

http://www.proserpinewoodturners.com/TheBigPen.html

......uhhhhhhh, now to find a shirt pocket large enough :o

scooter
7th May 2009, 12:21 AM
Gday all

David, HB for the other day, and congrats on the new lathe, sounds like a beauty. :)

Cheers......................Sean

madcraft
12th May 2009, 01:55 PM

Cheers

David

Seeing how Stubby users can't do pens I think you should send your kits here to one of the Peasants