PDA

View Full Version : Old Treadle Scrollsaws

Bruce K
20th June 2004, 01:47 PM
Having recently stumbled upon an old "New Rogers" saw with no original footplate I'm after any old treadle style saw anyone doesn't want or are finished with, I know its a long shot but am fasinated by the by gone era. I am not a dealer or oppertunist just semi disabled at home with only scrolling to do BruceK :confused:

Iain
20th June 2004, 05:21 PM
There is a copy of the New Rogers still in production but I am not able to find out where.
Would a sewing machine treadle work or is it a case of having to be authentic?
A google search turned up a lot of info on the saw, originally manufactured by Mills Falls (related to Miller Falls?) and suggest you have a look through the search engine.

Bruce K
22nd June 2004, 10:30 PM
Thanks will check it out ,In Speilmans Scrollsaw Book theres a photo of a New Rogerswith the different style "treadle" also in the states they are recreating the Velosopead style treadle..... Am trying to contact NSW people of scrolling to learn and exchange ideas and where going wrong with silly mistakes Bruce

AlexS
23rd June 2004, 08:35 AM
Bruce, there used to be an old cabinetmaker in Wellington, just up the track from you. Don't know his name, but he's on the left side of the highway as you head north out of town. His shop/workshop had all sorts of old goodies there, night be worth a look in if you're up that way.

Bruce K
25th June 2004, 02:45 PM
Thanks Alex, I know Wellington well , was based out of Duddo with work with NDC , don't get over that way much now though . I think I know where you mean just over the bridge just before the Mudgee turnoff Might scan the phonebook Any information is helpfull It's strange haw the "old era" can grab and fasinate you Thanks again Bruce

oges
25th June 2004, 07:15 PM
I grew up at Parkes ... had relo's that used to own one of the shops up from the Wellington caves .. next to the house with glass bottle walls.

AlexS
25th June 2004, 09:57 PM
just before the bridge on the left hand side Bruce.

fxst
26th June 2004, 06:52 PM
out of interest I am about finished (need a belt) a pedal scrollsaw.
the plans came from wildwood designs in USA and was fun to make and it does work (used a stocking :D ) I just need to paint it and sort out the pedals a bit more. Its made almost all of 20mm ply with only the fasteners, blades,lead shot (weight) and tensioners being metal
Pete