PDA

View Full Version : Turning To The Future

Paul39
4th May 2009, 05:49 AM
Went to an art gallery this morning after church and looked at a bowl / turned object exhibit. Turned & carved, turned on ornamental lathes, one turned and drilled so that there was more air than wood. Natural finish, burned, ebonized, dyed, etc.

Prices to $2,800. Some of the high priced stuff was signed and dated 5 - 6 years ago so I suspect the guy is not getting rich.

From the apparent amount of work on some of the pieces I would guess you would be making about a dollar an hour.

See: http://www.grovewood.com/turning_to_future.php

Click on the names to see photos. Show comes down May 11, so look soon.

dai sensei
4th May 2009, 10:54 AM
Once you make it to gallery class it is a different price range, but sales can be few and far between, especially in these times.

Ed Reiss
4th May 2009, 12:25 PM
Paul...the craft sales started on the decline in 1998. Not only did us "smaller" turners take a hit, but the big names hit that steep hill as well.

There are exceptions though, a few of the bigger names still are in demand with the high price tag in accompaniment.

I'll be doing my first show this July in ten years...and I don't mind saying that I haven't a clue as to pricing. Chances are if I put pricing on them like I used to ($300 - $1500) probably won't sell a blessed thing...so will have to re-think the prices, but don't want to just give the stuff away.

Suggestions anyone?

jefferson
4th May 2009, 12:49 PM
Pricing is certainly an issue for woodturners. Unlike other woodies - who have something on the large side to sell - our small turned objects probably command less respect than is deserved.

One little bowl may take an hour, even for the pros, and probably more for those like me learning the craft. Add in the cost of the wood, consumables like sandpaper, dust filters, finishing wax etc etc, and the returns appear minimal.

But so long as we charge a reasonable rate and not give the stuff away, we will all prosper.

Jeff

NeilS
4th May 2009, 02:48 PM
And, if you take 33% or 50% off the selling price for gallery commission, less your materials, equipment depreciation, running and transportation costs, you get very little for your time, even at those prices.

Very few craftspeople make a comfortable living from just their craft. At least in Australia. Most supplement their incomes from teaching, demos, selling tools or supplies, writing books and magazine articles, tool reviews, and honorariums from sitting on judging panels and committees, etc. And, not everyone has the complementary skills and aptitudes to capitalise on those options.

Production work can generate a steady (for some modest) income that is OK when you are young, but it gets harder to sustain as you get older.

For many turners it's a serious hobby supported by their full time job, or they wait until they are retired to take it up full time.

It's nicely compatible with an alternative lifestyle, if that's your choice. Just don't expect to afford all the latest fancy gear that those with well paid jobs get to play with in their few spare hours, but rarely ever fully use, and perhaps never really needed...:roll:

In my case, (nowadays retired, if that is what you can call it) my woodturning manages to pay for itself without adding to, or drawing upon, my pension. I enjoy my woodturning and my buyers seem to enjoy what I make. That's enough for me!

As for those that are trying to make a full time living from their woodturning craft, in my opinion, they deserve to get the prices they need to sustain them in making high quality work. We all benefit from that.

Neil

joe greiner
5th May 2009, 01:21 AM
The very wealthy are probably still buying $10,000 toilet seats, but there aren't as many of them as there used to be. And Conspicuous Consumption has taken on other forms, as well. Pets seem to be the current rage; look at all the ink (especially virtual ink) generated in behalf of President Obama's family dog.

Our WT club had a recent exhibit in a local gallery. I'll try to get some feedback Tuesday evening (Wednesday morning in Oz). Listed prices were as low as US$30, and as high as $725. About half of the pieces were NFS (i.e. teasers). Simultaneous oil paintings were about $1000 to $5000.

I haven't yet run out of shelf space or "victims," so I haven't yet had to sell anything to support the habit. One of our members typically maintains a kiosk at our Saturday markets. He reports that he makes enough to pay for the kiosk, and a little more. I suggested he leave blank spaces on the shelves to create the perception of pieces just sold. <-- Food for thought.:rolleyes:

Almost any profession can be degraded by competition on price alone. Unless the satisfaction is derived from improved production techniques. BTDT.

Cheers,
Joe