PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Sydney www show 7 weeks to go

Pages : [1] 2 3

Greg Ward
4th May 2009, 11:53 AM
About time someone started a thread for NSW woodies.....
Show on again 19-21 June at Fox Studios Moore Park next to the fig trees.
Plenty of wood and every thing else you need to fill the shed.
Rain has been arranged again this year to show timber colours of the wood for sale outside the hall
Regards
Greg

Wongo
4th May 2009, 12:08 PM
Don't worry I will be there.:cool: :U

wheelinround
4th May 2009, 02:02 PM
With or without Money Wongo :;

Other than Greg & Mal and the displays of fine works I believe many have withdrawn their lot. :rolleyes: Now should this mean we are paying less :roll: entry fee

Wongo
4th May 2009, 02:04 PM
Both. With money before, without money after. :D

graemet
4th May 2009, 09:48 PM
Now should this mean we are paying less :roll: entry fee
You wish!
"Tell 'im 'e's dreamin' "

Liz Falloon
6th May 2009, 01:22 PM
Hello there - I have been meaning to be part of this forum for so long now but everday these Timber Shows throw up some new challenges!! Just to introduce myself we are the new owners of Timber Working with Wood Shows the real show for the Timber Industry and enthusiasts We are a family run business and have passion and heart for the industry. We have already started our reinvestment back into the shows. The previous managers (not the owners) really let the shows slip backwards have been told they wouldn't even recognise these forums! Well we want to be part of the forum and will accept and listen all of your comments and suggestions - good and bad for the shows. Can't promise we will be able to do everything but we will give it our best shot. Already for the shows you will now find the inclusion of visitor seating areas, a totally new presentation program, and hopefully a much more congenial environment when you visit the shows. Through the support of the forum we have also been able to offer a special entry price to forum members. I look forward to being part of the forum and receving your questions and suggestions on how to make your shows better. Regards Liz

Wongo
6th May 2009, 02:48 PM
Well done Liz :2tsup:

BobR
6th May 2009, 02:52 PM
Welcome Liz and I wish you well in your new venture. Some fresh blood has been needed.

ubeaut
6th May 2009, 03:49 PM
The previous managers (not the owners) really let the shows slip backwards have been told they wouldn't even recognise these forums!

Oh they recognised it alright, believe you me Liz. But they certainly didn't make use of the forums, the free advertising and promotional space, etc, that was offered.

We currently get around 19.5 - 20 million hits per month and almost 1 million unique visitors. No idea why anyone with a woodworking show or exhibition would pass up such a great opportunity to promote their show, but they do and more fool them.

Good to see you and some of the EEE Team here Liz. Hope you're able to make use of the forums as a part of your effort to bring the Timber and Working With Wood Shows back to their former glory days and take them on to even greater heights.

Please take criticism in here for what it is. Mostly it's constructive and done with the hope that someone may try to fix it or at least acknowlege there is a problem, and look into it.

I know you've already implemented some of the concerns that have come from here like visitor seating areas and I applaud you for it. That one thing alone will make a difference to how long people stay and the amount they spend, although I have to admit it's never really been a major problem with Brisbane as there has always been a lot of outside seating at that venue.

The former team took most criticism as a slight against them and rather than come on here and talk to people and try to address the problems they chose to ignore them, saying they didn't want to get into arguments.

Please don't do what they did and stick your head in the sand. I hope you and others from EEE continue to visit here and respond whenever possible. I'm sure it will be greatly appreciated by all.

I wish you every success with the shows and hope they go gang busters for you.

Cheers - Neil :U

Old farmer
6th May 2009, 06:38 PM
Liz, am delighted to see you here and thank you for giving us your time.

Am very pleased, too, to know there will be visitor seating as I am on a stick and cannot stand or walk for long. In fact, last evening when I gave my wife the newly-arrived copy of Australian Woodworking and asked her to enter the dates into her diary, she remarked, "There will be much walking. You will not be able to do it".

Will you tell us, please, if Bett has a point?

Liz Falloon
6th May 2009, 06:48 PM
Really nice to hear from you. Tell Bett that we have included on the floor plan a visitors lounge where there will be comfortable seating for you to relax in. We have also included a cafe inside this year, which will have tables and chairs and will be somewhere else to relax and have a cup of coffee etc. This of course is in addition to all of the outside catering areas. As an extra instead of the general seminar area on the floor we have placed all of the seminars on the 'stars' stands and that will provide another area where you can take in a seminar and be seated rather than in the past shows where people were left standing for 45minutes listening to seminars. I hope you enjoy the day and notice some improvements. Liz

Old farmer
6th May 2009, 07:05 PM
Liz, you can tell your man that you are a darling. Thanks very much.

May I impose once more, please, only when you have a moment tomorrow?

Is there parking on-site or do we use the old parking area in Moore Park opposite, across Driver Avenue?

I am thinking of the walk from the car to the exhibition.

Liz Falloon
6th May 2009, 07:15 PM
ah now you have got me.........leave it with me and I will get back to you - I am sure we will be able to help you in someway.

Thanks for the comments which I will pass on to my man - his name is Rick and as well as being my husband he is also partners in the company with me - so we really are a family business.

Be back to you if not tomorrow night real soon!

PEN
6th May 2009, 07:32 PM
I stopped going to the WWW Show for a few years back because I thought the standard had dropped terribly. I went again last year for the first time in three years and whilst I spent dollars, I didn't think it had improved.

Like many of us, I think we get somewhat a buzz in going and maybe our expectations are too high. I am not worried about the admission cost if the value is there. Lets face it, with today's communications we can search out almost any product from our homes, never mind walking around for hours, getting tired and at the end of the day feeling let down.

Congratulations Liz on taking over and I wish you well with the venture.
I will be going this year and will use it as a litmus test for future attendances. The WWW show was and should be a very desireable event to attend. I do hope you can reinstate that status.
PEN:):)

Liz Falloon
8th May 2009, 03:03 PM
Pen
good to have your comments. We have an interesting program of presentations, workshops and seminars as well as all of the product available so hope this year when you visit the shows you will see a marked improvement and you get to enjoy the day. Liz

Pat
8th May 2009, 04:20 PM
Liz, do you have a discreet website for the new management of the www&t shows or is it the old one?

It may also be better if you could start a separate thread, with a moderator's help. (There I go again, giving mods more work :)) )

Like a lot of us I have been attending the shows for a few years, enough to notice the downward spiral of quantity & quality of exhibitors (eg Magic Pillows and some Mop, either have nothing to do with woodwrecking) and the ever increasing cost of admission and food within the show area. What is being done to balance the equation. eg Lower cost of exhibtors area to entice the larger ones to risk the show.
I realise that you may not have any influence on the pricing of and quality of the food outlets within the show precinct, but the quality for the price is not there and I am one to eat almost anything:U

Liz Falloon
8th May 2009, 04:50 PM
Pat
our website address is www.eee.net.au (http://www.eee.net.au) - on it you will find we do a number of shows. Re your suggestion of the seperate thread will investigate that.

On the matter of the 'other' exhibitors - yep we do get comment about some of the different products. We will endeavour to keep the products to like products for timber. Many visitors love to be able to buy a bargain and many of these exhibitors provide that something that they can carry home.

Re costs - the admission cost will reamin the same (there is of course the forum special admission price) as it has for the past two years.

We are working with every venue to try and ensure we have a selection of food - rather than let them (the venues) choose what they are going to serve.

Hope I have answered all questions - if not let me know. Regards Liz

Claw Hama
8th May 2009, 07:01 PM
Good on you Liz, good luck with the show.

wheelinround
8th May 2009, 07:04 PM
Liz its obvious you are trying otherwise you wouldn't be here on the forum for starters top idea. :2tsup:

I agree about seating these old blokes just need a place to park and chat.............me I take my own :D at least if they are seated I won't end up with a stiff neck from looking up especially at Wongo.

I see already via a H&Forbes e-mail they will be at this years show :2tsup:

My first show was 2005 and we/I found it very cramped for moving between isles as did those who ended up with handle bars in tender places.

Getting in and around the vendors sites can often leave me frustrated no room to move which then leads to abled's getting annoyed as I try backing out.:roll:

Hardenfast
8th May 2009, 07:30 PM
Through the support of the forum we have also been able to offer a special entry price to forum members. Regards Liz

Thanks for the updates and for the offer of subsidised entry for forum members, Liz. Where do we access that offer?

Wayne

Old farmer
8th May 2009, 08:41 PM
Thank you very much, Liz, for the courtesy of your PM and e-mail, and for all the help you are organising.

You said you would get back to me today, and you did.

We shall be in touch.

munruben
9th May 2009, 09:43 AM
Good on you Liz and best of luck with your venture I am looking forward to the Brissie show and seeing the changes you have mentioned.

Pat
9th May 2009, 10:14 AM
Liz, thankyou for your reply, it answered my questions and hopefully will answer the questions of most of the members of this BB.

wheelinround
9th May 2009, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the updates and for the offer of subsidised entry for forum members, Liz. Where do we access that offer?

Wayne

Hi Wayne just watch the forum for the announcement Brisbane just got there offer:2tsup:

jw2170
9th May 2009, 01:50 PM
Thanks Liz,

I will definitely be going again this year.

And best of luck with this venture.

James

Hardenfast
9th May 2009, 06:14 PM
Hi Wayne just watch the forum for the announcement Brisbane just got there offer:2tsup:

Excellent - thanks Ray. So I'll see you there demonstrating again?

Ross
10th May 2009, 08:21 AM
Last year I missed the show and I wasn't fuss about it. This year there is more interest in the show and I am looking foreward to it.

Ross

VEK TOOLS
10th May 2009, 01:29 PM
well done Liz for the new ideas to revitalise the show.....we beleive in what Liz is doing to revamp the show so we have commited to increasing our stand size from last years show to 90square meters....if anyone has any other ideas of what they would like to see at this years show please let us know on the forum

Groggy
10th May 2009, 01:33 PM
If you do a search on woodworking shows you will find a thread with hundreds of replies (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=38485). That thread I collected and sorted then gave to Neil to pass on to the organisers. It was full of ideas (and complaints). I am pretty sure Neil passed it on.

wheelinround
10th May 2009, 01:53 PM
Excellent - thanks Ray. So I'll see you there demonstrating again?

No Wayne not this year but will be going one day for shopping/browes etc. The OTGA stand will still be there.:2tsup:

Liz Falloon
12th May 2009, 10:13 AM
Thanks everyone for the comments - as you can image we are flat out putting the final touches on Brisbane. We are really hoping its going to be a great show, we have already sold over 1,000 pre purchase tickets, 400 schools and 260 clubs - but no denying its nerve racking. We had a great meet with the Sydney Woodclubs last night and things are starting to hot up for their involvement with the Sydney Timber competition. Did I tell you that we are introducing to every show this year 'Ask Me' experts. Rather than an information counter we are having 'experts' roam the floor in bright orange vests with information about everything to do with the show. This of course is planned for the visitors who are looking for something or someone........the suggestion was put to us from the Clubs and we thought it worthwhile to give it a try!

To answer some of the questions - yes a Sydney offer will be posted within the next week. Neil has passed on the last report on suggestions that were made previously and am working my way thru it - catering was an issue as was seating so hoepfully we can tick those boxes..............more to come!

Wheelin around I will ask our Ask Me guys to keep an eye out in the aisles for people on 'movers/frames' etc and offer assistance.

Hope I have answered everything if not let me know.
Talk soon Liz

wheelinround
12th May 2009, 10:43 AM
Liz thanks, for myself assistance not really needed but the fellows who walk up behind me might need it when I reverse not knowing they are standing there:roll:
Those handle bars on the back now have bright red handle grips...........hides the blood :D

Liz Falloon
12th May 2009, 10:49 AM
Wheelin Around now I am going to make sure I give you plenty of room when i see those red handles in the crowd!!!

wheelinround
12th May 2009, 10:56 AM
Wheelin Around now I am going to make sure I give you plenty of room when i see those red handles in the crowd!!!

Its the old fellows with walkers you should watch out for Liz they offer you the world but ask for much more.:roll::;

Old farmer
12th May 2009, 11:24 AM
From an old fellow, free of a frame now, that was clever, Wheelin'!

Liz., thanks for all your attention. Bett and I intend to go on the Friday, pG., and we do not want to put you to the trouble of organising a wheel-chair, thank you very much.

Only when you have a moment!, could you tell me where we find the Disabled Parking, please?

Liz Falloon
12th May 2009, 01:55 PM
The Fox Studio car park - that's the one near the entrance to the Show has the ground floor avaiable for disabled car parking - it is however on first come first served basis. You call me if you need help. Liz

Old farmer
12th May 2009, 02:07 PM
Liz., we are very grateful for your courtesy, your PM and help.

You and your husband deserve every success.

Australians are as good as any, when motivated.

Thank you.

zelk
12th May 2009, 02:45 PM
Few months ago, a lot negative things were said about the WWS and it didn't seem worthwhile going. Well, after reading this thread I will definitely be going. Neil has also reminded me of what a great forum this is.

Zelk

wheelinround
15th May 2009, 12:05 PM
One good thing will change next year it wont be STWWS it will be Rosehill Timber and Woodworking Show :2tsup:

Pat
15th May 2009, 12:12 PM
One good thing will change next year it wont be STWWS it will be Rosehill Timber and Woodworking Show :2tsup:

Rose blessed Hill, I don't travel that far for my holidays. It's way out west, where the rain don't fall and Ray lives! :q

wheelinround
15th May 2009, 12:18 PM
Rose blessed Hill, I don't travel that far for my holidays. It's way out west, where the rain don't fall and Ray lives! :q

Pat now you know as well as I do your hard earned $$$$ end up there every race day even though you don't go there seems lots of Jackasses race there
:D

As for rain well at least tools dont rust like on the coast :roll:

Me i live even further west

Wongo
15th May 2009, 12:28 PM
Liz, sounds like it is going to be a great show in Sydney this year.

Is there a chance that you could ban all students from the show, or don't let them in before 6pm?

:U

wheelinround
15th May 2009, 12:31 PM

Is there a chance that you could ban all students from the show, or don't let them in before 6pm?

:oo: Hey what you think your doing thats penalty rates for teachers and being Friday night they'd want double time & 1/2 plus extra for not being able to get away early friday afternoon.

AUSSIE
15th May 2009, 12:50 PM
Any of those free show bags?
You know the ones.
All full of promise on the outside
and full of crap on the inside?:D:D
Just joking guys
Hope all goes as well as planned
Give us poor people some photos of the show,
and info on the great deals you got.
Have a good one
Aussie:2tsup:

Liz Falloon
15th May 2009, 06:38 PM
Now guys - since I have been missing for a day you are getting up to no good, and I have to put you straight on a couple of things!! Wheelinround you have jumped the gun about Rosehill (I know this will make you happy Pat you won't have to travel so far) we were considering Rosehill as our Sydney venue but have ultimately decided against it for next year - this is not to say we won't revisit it again, but for 2010 we are staying with Fox. Sorry guys!!

Re the kids - they are the new woodworkers and will keep the craft alive. I will have a chat to them as they come in the door to make sure those teenage boys behave themselves!

Thanks everyone for the good wishes - we kick off with Brisbane next week - not much sleep happening here!!!

Talk soon Liz

Pat
15th May 2009, 06:49 PM
Now guys - since I have been missing for a day you are getting up to no good, and I have to put you straight on a couple of things!! Wheelinround you have jumped the gun about Rosehill (I know this will make you happy Pat you won't have to travel so far) we were considering Rosehill as our Sydney venue but have ultimately decided against it for next year - this is not to say we won't revisit it again, but for 2010 we are staying with Fox. Sorry guys!!

Re the kids - they are the new woodworkers and will keep the craft alive. I will have a chat to them as they come in the door to make sure those teenage boys behave themselves!

Thanks everyone for the good wishes - we kick off with Brisbane next week - not much sleep happening here!!!

Talk soon Liz

Liz, good news on the Rosehill front, Ray :q

The kids don't annoy me much, maybe my body language gives them the impression of bodily damage if they dare trifle with my happy attitude, being at a Wood Show.

On a serious note, do you keep a record of behaviour of the various schools students to decide whether they be invited back the following year?

Liz Falloon
15th May 2009, 06:54 PM
Ray
you have just provided a great idea and will introduce for the Brisbane Show - we have a register of all schools attending so will not be difficult. Lots of thanks Liz

Liz Falloon
15th May 2009, 06:55 PM
Actually think I got my names mixed up there - was it you Pat who provided the idea? If so lots of thanks Liz

witch1
15th May 2009, 07:53 PM
liz,
thanks for your great efforts to get the show back on the rails, I am sure we will all be happy little campers again. regarding the school-kids, I live in the immediate area of the showground, and have a good knowledge of the attitudes of people of all ages who attend the many diversified attractions held there.
I have no problem with school- kids who would attend the wood show rather than terrorise the local neighbourhood ripping up newly planted trees, smashing bottles, kicking in car doors, and so on. How any-one can take umbrage at young people pursuing an interest similar to their own, rather than encourage it to the best of their ability, is quite beyond me. We have a number of young men on this forum, still attending school, or recently left to further their knowledge, of whom we can feel quite proud. I have never missed a www show at Sydney show-ground and have usually attended on all three days, at one stage I had only been out of hospital for two days when the show came around and attended the show on crutches with a foot swathed in bandages and a "ski-boot" (for protection).
I had no trouble at all with kids, or for that matter anybody else, jumping on my foot, or knocking me over.
hope I didn't offend anybody with my little rave but thats the way I feel about it, and I am sure that there will be many other people on this forum who agree with me.
best wishes to all
witch1

jmk89
15th May 2009, 07:58 PM

Wongo

You're too young to be a Grumpy old man!

Besides, I'm bringing my son to the show this year and if you're grumpy at him::smack:

bsrlee
15th May 2009, 09:21 PM
As someone who has been to several camping & caravan shows at Rosehill Racecourse, it has several disadvantages for those travelling by public transport and even more if you try to carry away any goodies.

The local train station has no disabled access provisions- its up and over via 2 sets of old fashioned steep steps. There is no regular STA bus service that I have seen.

The car parking is all exposed in rough grass paddocks - there is a bit of 'disabled' parking - in that it is a kilometer or so closer to the main area over unpaved rough dirt. The main public parking is about 5 km by road from the main road/entrance, the long way round the back of the racecourse through the local industrial estate.

There was a 'courtesy bus' that ran to the outer car parks, it was about 20 years old, no disabled access, no luggage space. I have heard rumours of a bus to Parramatta, but have never seen it run.

The 'parcel pickup' was a small tent in the middle of a paddock - hope it doesn't rain.

Inside it is pretty nice, big multi storey main stand building, plus several new-ish 'pavilions' easily as big as the Showbag & 'Hordern' stands at Fox. Food may be a bit of an issue - there are a couple of hot food stalls that opened for the camping show, about the same as those inside the show at Fox - the main dining area was not opened for shows.

If racecourse food does not suit, there is a Hooters over the road, along with KFC & Macca's at the servo.

Hardenfast
15th May 2009, 09:32 PM
Shame to see that Mr Pye & Co are not attending the Sydney show this year. I have spent some reasonable dollars with him at each of the last two Sydney events, but I guess I'll have to spend my hard-earned with someone else. I've bought some Saburr Tooth shaping wheels from Jim Carrol recently and found him/them great to deal with, so looks like he'll be my preferred vendor this year.

Wayne

Pat
15th May 2009, 09:33 PM
Witch, I have no problems with School children whom are there to learn and enjoy the show. It's the ones that are there for a day out of school, so they don't care for the exhibits(ors), demonstrators or other patrons.

I don't have to endure them this year as I am going on Saturday :U Although I'll have to put up with Wongo's attempts to drain my wallet of all money:q

Wongo
15th May 2009, 11:05 PM
OK OK let me try again. What about banning those pensioners? You know who I am talking about right? You know those who get cheap tickets and spend bugger all at the show. Or those who stay at a stand for more than 15 minutes without making a purchase. Ban them all.

witch1
15th May 2009, 11:24 PM
wongo,
what about self funded retirees?
witch1?

Wongo
15th May 2009, 11:31 PM
:think:

wheelinround
16th May 2009, 10:40 AM
Ray
you have just provided a great idea and will introduce for the Brisbane Show - we have a register of all schools attending so will not be difficult. Lots of thanks Liz

:D Liz thanks for that :; but it was Pat that suggested it

In the ears when driving the ankle bitters around there were many places did this, the end result was that a few very few schools were notified "Do Not Return" unfortunately this can have problems as its one year/group of pupils not the whole school or future classes.

wheelinround
16th May 2009, 10:55 AM
OK OK let me try again. What about banning those pensioners? You know who I am talking about right? You know those who get cheap tickets and spend bugger all at the show. Or those who stay at a stand for more than 15 minutes without making a purchase. Ban them all.

I may not be there at all this year after all/anyway Wongo

As for spending 15 mins at stands without making purchases if the vendor doesn't have what your looking for or isn't interested in dealing with you if yo are there to spend money but would rather talk Beer, and tall stories with basketball players :roll:

AUSSIE
16th May 2009, 12:09 PM

Hey Wongo,yah there, Some would say you talking some of that stuff from under your rocking horses,and it aint sawdust:hpydans2::wtf3::roflmao2:

Liz Falloon
17th May 2009, 11:48 AM
Heh everyone think I have some great news for you all. Have just heard from Neil about an idea I put to him and he has agreed. Starting from the Brisbane Show we are going to incorporate into every show's floor plan a U Beaut Forum Meeting Point. The Brisbane Show because we haven't got much time will be pretty basic, but planning ahead we will endeavour to make it a private area where only forum members can meet - seats, tea and coffee etc. In Brisbane the meeting point will be at stand 74a. Let me know if you don't think this is a good idea, or if you do think its a good idea what you would like included in future areas. Regards Liz

Pat
17th May 2009, 12:03 PM
Sounds like a good idea. Entry conditions? Forum Cap or shirt? Login and Password? Silly handshake or walk (ala John Cleese's The Ministry of Silly Walks)? Does Neil entertain a computer for new members to join? Signage?

Please forgive my ramblings, it'll be a good area to catch up with those I've already met and to meet others that I may have corresponded with on the fora but never met.

Liz Falloon
17th May 2009, 12:32 PM
Pat, thanks you have helped with one of the problems of identity of forum members. Will work on that for the future shows - Brisbane will be open to the show floor. Liz

Old farmer
17th May 2009, 04:51 PM
Liz, I know you are flat out like the proverbial lizard, so please do not reply if you have no time.

Have you published anywhere the list of exhibitors, and demonstrators, who will be at Sydney?

wheelinround
17th May 2009, 05:38 PM
Sounds like a good idea. Entry conditions? Forum Cap or shirt? Login and Password? Silly handshake or walk (ala John Cleese's The Ministry of Silly Walks)? Does Neil entertain a computer for new members to join? Signage?

Please forgive my ramblings, it'll be a good area to catch up with those I've already met and to meet others that I may have corresponded with on the fora but never met.

I taught John his silly walks:q

jmk89
17th May 2009, 05:41 PM

I reckon:

Must wear a Forum cap or shirt (or both) or be accompanied by someone in such garb
Must sign in using Forum username
We must keep silly waking riffraff out.....:U

wheelinround
17th May 2009, 05:42 PM
Liz, I know you are flat out like the proverbial lizard, so please do not reply if you have no time.

Have you published anywhere the list of exhibitors, and demonstrators, who will be at Sydney?

Old Farmer this is the best place to check for that http://www.eee.net.au/showwood.php?id=sydney

wheelinround
17th May 2009, 05:48 PM
I reckon:

Must wear a Forum cap or shirt (or both) or be accompanied by someone in such garbage (sorry Jeremy spelling mistake) .... Damn that means I'll have to find someone who has one
Must sign in using Forum username.......now I'll have to learn to use a pen again or will there be a keyboard handy :p

We must keep silly waking riffraff out.....:U I have you seen how the Nth shore people walk I agree :D

Old farmer
17th May 2009, 06:13 PM
Thanks wheelin. I have been there, have seen the dmonstators, but cannot find a list of exhibitors.

Five Thumbs
17th May 2009, 10:49 PM
Hi Liz

May I extend my best wishes for the success of your shows. I like all the ideas you have put forward so far. One more to consider please. I really love buying old tools i.e. 'pre loved'. Is there any chance that you could lure some of the previous 'old tool' dealers who used to appear at the Wood Shows to future shows?

Cheers

Five Thumbs

Tex B
17th May 2009, 11:22 PM
Starting from the Brisbane Show we are going to incorporate into every show's floor plan a U Beaut Forum Meeting Point.

Great idea, Liz, thanks.

Although, the more I think about it, can't actually understand why I'd want to go the the timber show to hang out with this (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showpost.php?p=897054&postcount=23)crowd :D

Definitely looking forward to the new and improved show this year.

Tex

Liz Falloon
18th May 2009, 09:27 AM
Hi All
countdown has begun - we leave for Brisbane tomorrow, now am really excited but nervous as well. Have a really good team briefing on Friday and believe everyone in the team knows what we have to do!!! Phone has rung all weekend with last minute orders for tickets - so lets hope we have a good roll up and everyone enjoys the show. I know you guys will give me honest feedback!!!

Re the Sydney list we will post on the web 10 days pre show - this way we find that we can give an accurate list and one that relates to floorplans rather than turning up to find everything has chnaged. We are also working with The Australian Woodworker with a tighter deadline to make sure all information is relevant rather than outdated news because of changes to both floor plan and exhibitors which happens!

Love the idea of pre loved tools (Stan the Man Ceglinski runs a seminar on pre loved tools at 10.30 each day. He also invites you to bring any of your tools along. Will work on getting more at the show.

Looks like we have agreed for entry into the forum meeting point it will be by identification of shirt or cap. Starting from Sydney we will have a computer there for you. Remember the Brisbane meeting point has been put together in haste, and will be open to the show floor. I will make sure I stop if I see you there and introduce myself, as will the rest of the team.

Talk soon Liz

Old farmer
18th May 2009, 11:23 AM
Liz., I wish you, your husband and your team the very best of luck. You deserve it with your courtesy and willingness to listen and help.

Tex, that is cheeky.........and very good! Thanks for the laugh.

Liz Falloon
18th May 2009, 12:59 PM
thanks for good wishes!! Tex I am definetly on the lookout for you!!
Liz

switt775
18th May 2009, 04:25 PM
I notice that GPW say they won't be at the Brisbane show this week, but WILL attend the Brisbane show in Nov 09.

Comments?

Liz Falloon
18th May 2009, 08:23 PM
Not sure what they are doing but Northwood Tools who I believe have competitive products have a big stand at the forthcoming Brisbane Timber Show. Liz

switt775
18th May 2009, 08:43 PM
The point is not that GPW will miss the Brisbane show. The point is that they are declaring their intent to be at the next Brisbane show.

Quote from their website:

"We will attend the new Brisbane wood show in November 09"

New woodshow.

In 6 months time.

In November 2009.:?:?

So I can see 3 possibilities.

1) This was a simple typo. They meant to put "May 10" but instead got every keystroke wrong, and put "Nov 09". And somehow typed "new" instead of "next".:cool:

2) The Brisbane show is being switched from a May date to a November date, and rather than have an 18 month gap between shows, you are going to have a 6 month gap (giving Brisbane a bonus).:2tsup:

3) You are trying out the idea of having 2 shows per year, but are trying to keep it low key for now.

Obviously there are other possible explanations, not all of which involve aliens, but those are the only 3 I can come up with at the moment.

My money would be on option 2.

Liz Falloon
18th May 2009, 09:03 PM
Sorry if I missed the point! The original Timber Working with Wood show now over 20 years old is running in Brisbane this weekend as all of you are aware and as traditonally has been the case it will run in Brisbane again in tweleve months time in May 2010. Liz

mic-d
18th May 2009, 09:26 PM
The point is not that GPW will miss the Brisbane show. The point is that they are declaring their intent to be at the next Brisbane show.

Quote from their website:

"We will attend the new Brisbane wood show in November 09"

New woodshow.

In 6 months time.

In November 2009.:?:?

So I can see 3 possibilities.

1) This was a simple typo. They meant to put "May 10" but instead got every keystroke wrong, and put "Nov 09". And somehow typed "new" instead of "next".:cool:

2) The Brisbane show is being switched from a May date to a November date, and rather than have an 18 month gap between shows, you are going to have a 6 month gap (giving Brisbane a bonus).:2tsup:

3) You are trying out the idea of having 2 shows per year, but are trying to keep it low key for now.

Obviously there are other possible explanations, not all of which involve aliens, but those are the only 3 I can come up with at the moment.

My money would be on option 2.

Nope, this (http://www.handsonexpo.com.au/brisbane/shows/woodworking-show/) is the totally independent show on in November. Many of the old show performers have 'switched' to this show, eg Richard Raffan, Richard Vaughan, others...

Cheers
Michael

switt775
19th May 2009, 07:57 AM
That's the 4th option I was looking for. So now we have two competing shows 6 months apart.:2tsup::2tsup:

Will be interesting to see if there is enough money floating around to support both.

TEEJAY
19th May 2009, 05:57 PM
That's the 4th option I was looking for. So now we have two competing shows 6 months apart.:2tsup::2tsup:

Will be interesting to see if there is enough money floating around to support both.

There won't be enough money about for both.

Put simply if the November option is good value for money the May will die.

Tex B
19th May 2009, 11:05 PM
Hey guys.

This thread is the Sydney thread :wink:

Surely there's a Brisbane thread around somewhere :whistling1:

AUSSIE
20th May 2009, 05:34 AM
Hey guys.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=86821:doh::no:

TEEJAY
20th May 2009, 11:23 AM
Hey guys.

Sorry Mex Tex - I'm gone :- - not a big fan of hijackers either :wink:

Ross
26th May 2009, 10:35 AM
24 days to go.

Christopha
26th May 2009, 06:46 PM
24 days to go.

Bloody hell!
I had better get in training, those Sydney blokes and blokesses are tough!

DJ’s Timber
26th May 2009, 08:36 PM
Bloody hell!

Your not worried are you Christopha :o? This isn't like you :q

wheelinround
27th May 2009, 10:13 AM
Bloody hell!

I should put that video up from last years show Christopha :D

Christopha
27th May 2009, 02:10 PM
Strewth DJ, at least I'm not a complete softy like you mate, and we will have no videos without my agents consent and the suitable remuneration.

wheelinround
27th May 2009, 02:34 PM
Strewth DJ, at least I'm not a complete softy like you mate, and we will have no videos without my agents consent and the suitable remuneration.

You already gave consent :D besides it was screen test done for free................:q

nz_carver
31st May 2009, 02:10 PM
19 1/2 days to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Christos
31st May 2009, 11:18 PM
I think the count down is going well. :U

Christopha
1st June 2009, 06:07 PM
Well look out you lot! Me plane thing ticket are bought and paid for. And it didn't cost extra for a Virgin!!!! :)

witch1
1st June 2009, 06:50 PM
dont get your hopes up christuffer the cheap virgin tickets come without any extras whatsoever, you get what you pay for.
sorry
witch1

Broda
1st June 2009, 10:58 PM
Will I have to book tickets to go to the show in sydney or can you just pick them up on your way in?
I plan on going on the friday if that makes any difference

nz_carver
2nd June 2009, 01:28 PM
Will I have to book tickets to go to the show in sydney or can you just pick them up on your way in?
I plan on going on the friday if that makes any difference

no mate it dont make a difference
i think you can book them online and save a little but you can get them on the day to:2tsup:

anyone know who will be there this year???
i know carba tec is:2tsup:
bench works will not be there:((
H&F are not:((
mic jings i think:?

nz_carver
2nd June 2009, 01:29 PM
16 days to go:2tsup::2tsup:

Wongo
2nd June 2009, 02:26 PM
Keep it coming nzc. I can't wait to see more.

nz_carver
2nd June 2009, 07:30 PM
trend timber:-
the wood works:?

that dam pie cart outside thats gets you for $4.00 for a 1/2 cold pie:oo::(

nz_carver
2nd June 2009, 07:35 PM
Daily Demonstration Schedule

(Correct at time of publication)

Seminar 1
Demonstrations by: Major Award Winner Guilio Marcolongo
Sydney Stand: 214
10.15am Turn a Table Leg – Incorporating the use of the skew, the roughing gouge,
spindle gouge, and detail gouge.
11.30am Mushroom Box Pieces – This demonstration is what one can do with a small
waist incorporating jam fit chucking
1.00pm Basic Bowl - Incorporating the use of a bowl gouge, and different angles for
turning the use of scrapers.
2.30pm End Grain Box – You will learn how to hollow out end grain. Also covered in
this demonstration will be the use of a chatter tool and how to do an insert into
the lid, sanding and applying the finishes.
Seminar 2
Demonstrations by: Bruce Bell
Sydney Stand: 202
10.30am Off Centre Turning- With the help of a balancing system Bruce will
demonstrate the turning of several bowls within one larger piece. He will show
how the use of chucks makes turning easier.
12.00noon Mastering the Skew - Bruce will demonstrate an easy way of understanding
how the skew works. He will show you how to turn beads and finish your
spindle work with out the need for abrasive. He will also show how the detail
gouge can work where the skew doesn’t.
1.30pm Selecting timber to Turn - Learn the tricks in selecting suitable timber for
woodturning. Understand how a tree grows and how to process it so that your
work gives you the best results. Bruce will discuss the drying of timber and the
roughing out prior to you finishing your work.
3.00pm Tools sharpening - This session is on sharpening your turning tools to get the
best results from them. The type of grinder and wheels needed and looking
after same is just as important as just turning the wood.
Seminar 3
Demonstrations by: Tim Skilton
Sydney Stand: 202a

Come and Try Woodturning – Demonstrations throughout each day of the show
Sponsored by Vicmarc Machinery
Tim’s workshop is centred upon an informative, hands on approach that aims to inspire and
entertain. He is particularly passionate about assisting the ‘next generation’ of wood
turners in discovering and enjoying the art form and its benefits as a productive and
creative interest for young men and women.
To celebrate the 1000th person to attend Tim’s workshop each participate in Tim’s
workshop will create their own honey dipper and receive a pot of honey. One participate
from each state will be chosen to go into the grand final in Melbourne including: return
airfares and accommodation for two to attend the Melbourne Show, plus transport to and
from the show as well as $200 timber dollars to spend at the show

Daily Demonstration Schedule – Sydney Timber & Working With Wood 2009

Seminar 4
Demonstrations by: Roger Gifkins
Sydney Stand: 39
10:30am Boxmaking couldn’t be easier! - About as simple as a box can get. A great first
project for people new to boxmaking. Learn confidence building techniques
so you can consolidate skills with this easy project. Once perfected, it makes
a great gift!
12:00noon Getting the most from your Dovetail Jig - Go through setting up and using the
jig with the inventor! Includes demonstrations on cutting trial joints, adjusting
the jig to give a perfect fit, cutting finger joints, variable spaced joints, angled
joints and more. A must for those that want to get the most out of their jig.
1:30pm Special Jewellery Box - From Roger’s third set of plans, this box challenges the
more experienced woodworker with an elaborate Jewellery Box that is ideal for
that special gift. This demonstration will see the box dovetailed, glued up,
split in half and hinged. To learn some of the finer points for finishing this
project, come along to the Jigs, Jigs, Jigs session.
3:30pm Jigs, Jigs, Jigs - Roger’s most useful jigs, designed with safety and accuracy in
mind. These are all jigs that you can make up yourself. This session includes
demonstrations of fences and techniques for the Drop Saw, cutting mitres,
shaping on the router table, fences for the router table and “how square is
that”
Seminar 5
Demonstrations by: David Foster
Sydney Stand: 7
David will present a series of furniture restoration, with two other experts from the industry.
On the program will be the ‘experts’ all working with wood surfaces in different ways:

• traditional way with traditional products

• modern techniques and modern products

• innovative products that require little work
David invites you back to the stand at 1pm (bring your sandwiches and coffee) and sit in on
a discussion by the panel on the different techniques they each used.
You will also have the opportunity to ask questions and make comments.

This is a NEW demonstration for Timber Shows.

Seminar 6
Demonstrations by: Stan Ceglinski
Sydney Stand: 70
10.30 am Traditional Tools– Maintenance, sharpening identifying their use and safe
working practises. If you have any old tools & you need any advice or help,
bring them along and ask Stan...he may be able to help you!
11.15 am Resource today…(where we can get our timber) -where to find some great
timber, it doesn’t just grow on trees...or does it? A talk and demo that will
convince you that it does!
11.30 am Kitchen Stuff!- How to make some great kitchen based items that will make
your cooking a pleasure and make you feel good…(cause you made them)
items may include...wok stirrer, salad servers, cooking spoon, and rolling pin.
12.00 am “Smoko” - A cup of tea and talk time….got any questions….axe not holding an
edge, saw cuts “crooked”, marriage falling apart, your kids going crazy, can’t
manage to catch a fish …“Big Stan” just may have the answer ! (or may send
you round the bend)
12.30 pm “The Great Saw Race” - Have a go with a friend or loved one– re enact
something that your family ancestors did on a daily basis (probably)...it’ll only
take a minute & you’ll never have more fun. Come & have a go!!!

Daily Demonstration Schedule – Sydney Timber & Working With Wood 2009

1.00 pm “Stan goes to lunch” - A very important demo, he’ll be back though, fresh as a
daisy at 2pm.
2.00 pm Have’n some fun with tools & a log! - See what can be found within a tree
trunk...a cricket bat, some stumps, a fruit bowl, maybe just some grubs or a
cocky?
3.15 pm ”The Great Saw Race” - Your last chance today to get a 30 second, fun filled
workout. Win a prize for your effort.
4.00 pm Makin more stuff from a tree trunk - h’mmmm, what can we find in there….a
comfy stool, a toy of sorts….it’s just so much fun & so easy!!!! See you there!
Seminar 7
Seminar by: Kevin Inkster
Sydney Stand: 73

NEW Seminar for Timber Shows – Making Money from Woodworking
Three seminars per day 10.30, 12.30 and 2.30
This timely seminar presented by award winning inventor, entrepreneur and woodworker
Kevin Inkster, will tell you how to make money from doing something you love. A seminar
not to be missed!

Christos
2nd June 2009, 07:41 PM
I was planning on going with two friends one that is sort of into wood working and another that does not know where wood comes from.

Then on the second day I will be going with some one that does not under stand wood.

I know that they are going to be out numbered. :U