PDA

View Full Version : Another Timber ID thread...

Ozkaban
4th May 2009, 08:38 PM
Hi,

i turned this up from a blank that I got from Pat at the Sydney forumite get-together, but I'm just not sure what it is. The outside was greyed and weathered so I didn't expect the grain to be what it is.

the wood is very light - like pacific maple light so it's not sheoak or something like that.

any ideas?

I know the turning is ordinary and there's a bunch of tearout on it, and it even cracked on one side when finishing it, but a bit of CA and a lot of luck got me through. It's sanded to 400, EEE, Shellawax Cream.

Cheers,
Dave

funkychicken
4th May 2009, 08:40 PM
Silky Oak

mic-d
4th May 2009, 08:44 PM
that's silky oak... of some type Grevillea robusta or Cardwellia sublimis
Cheers
Michael

Ozkaban
4th May 2009, 08:44 PM
hmmm, I wondered if it was. I'm quite allergic to the stuff and I did flare up yesterday (did the turning on Friday), thought it was the gardening I did on Sunday :doh:

Thanks Andrew and Mic.

Dave

Wizened of Oz
4th May 2009, 10:03 PM
Could be Silky Oak but could very well be Banksia. It's a bit lighter in weight but deeper in colour than Silky, and the ray structure is very prominent.

Claw Hama
4th May 2009, 10:06 PM
Northern Silky Oak would be my guess.

weisyboy
4th May 2009, 10:15 PM
yep thats silky alright.

Ed Reiss
4th May 2009, 11:20 PM
hmmm, I wondered if it was. I'm quite allergic to the stuff and I did flare up yesterday (did the turning on Friday), thought it was the gardening I did on Sunday :doh:

Thanks Andrew and Mic.

Dave

...some are quite allergic (me included) to lacewood (aka silky oak) ....hope it wasn't too bad:doh::C

orificiam
4th May 2009, 11:36 PM
Whatever it is--nice turning Dave:2tsup:
Cheers Tony.:)

Ozkaban
5th May 2009, 08:42 AM
...some are quite allergic (me included) to lacewood (aka silky oak) ....hope it wasn't too bad:doh::C
Hi Ed,

When it happened last time it was because I split 2 cubic metres of green wood up for firewood. It had been felled maybe a day before I got into it. The reaction was pretty terrible and took a couple of days to come up. I didn't recognise the grain as I'd never played with the dry stuff before. This time the reaction was maybe 1/3 of before, which is a relief. I would have thought the dust from sanding it on the lathe would have been far worse, but I guess the sap is the dangerous bit, or at least in my experience.

Will know what to watch out for next time! It's a shame as the timber is beautiful, it's light and it's reasonable to turn...

Cheers,
Dave

glenn k
5th May 2009, 06:26 PM

I thought Lacewood was plane, never heard Silky Oak called that before. Plantanus sp. have similar grain pattern to Grevellea but much finer.

Ed Reiss
6th May 2009, 03:06 AM
...here you go Glenn:

http://www.woodzone.com/woods/lacewood.htm

glenn k
7th May 2009, 10:49 AM
...here you go Glenn:

http://www.woodzone.com/woods/lacewood.htm

OK I new nothing of Cardwellia Sublimis I didn't know it was in Proteaceae same as real silky Oak. Only species in the genus (does look like a Grevillea) also known as Northern Silky Oak, Bull Oak, Golden Spanglewood, Lacewood, Oak and Oongaar I suppose anything to sell wood. Thanks for the info Ed.
We can buy Gippsland Oak now which has to be better than buying it as Vic Ash or Tasse Oak doesn't it?