PDA

View Full Version : 4x6 mbs

wheelinround
5th May 2009, 08:51 PM
Looks like I have a problem with my 4x6 metal bandsaw twice now I have had bandsaw blades made up to fit it as standard size (no haven't stuffed em that often). Each time they have been made almost 2" to long.
Measured to be 64 1/2" at full adjustment, mate made the last couple he has his own he made them to suit his fitted perfect won't fit mine.

Brand name is Toolex there's a photo on here somewhere

anyone know if there is a standar size :?

bollie7
6th May 2009, 09:12 AM
Don't know about std sizes, so can't help you there.
My late father used to make his own bands up. Used to silver solder them together. I'm not sure of the procedure he used but they never came apart. He only had an LPG/air torch, no oxy.
Might be an idea to do some research on it.
The saw I've used a few times here at work has a small welding attachment and I think a special grinder for doing the bands. I've never used it or seen it used.(saw doesn't get a lot of use). I'm not sure if the welder butt welds the ends or if its a lap joint. I suspect it might be a lap joint because of the grinder but I could be wrong (which is not unusual LOL)
I would think to silver solder them you would have to do it as a lap joint.
Now that I think about it I seem to remember Dad telling me he made up two steel blocks with a shallow groove in the face of each that aligned the ends of the band. He used to grind a taper on the side of each end of the band, then he used to flux them, cut a bit of good silver solder (the real silver solder which I think is about 50% silver), put that between the two band ends and then clamp the lot together using the steel blocks. Then heat it enough for the solder to melt.
I think thats the basic idea.You obviously wouldn't make the lap too long. I think he used to make it about as long as the blade was wide.

As its at least 10 years since Dad told me about this it would be a good idea to experiment with some old band first I would think.

There is probably someone here who can give you more advice.

regards
bollie7

MacPuddock
6th May 2009, 07:12 PM
Here's a short article on silver soldering bandsaw blades - you must use solder with a high silver content. The 2% stuff from the plumber's suppliers won't be successful.

http://www.merseyturners.co.uk/learn_stuff2.htm

Here is a picture of a suitable jig;

wheelinround
6th May 2009, 08:13 PM
Thanks for that :? but you missed the point of the question

is there different size blades in length for the 4x6 ???

I saw 1640mm somewhere

bollie7
6th May 2009, 08:49 PM
I did say I "Don't know about std sizes, so can't help you there." but I think it would be quite easy to have a 50mm difference in band length between 2 different machines. particularly ones of asian origin. A few mm difference in dia on the wheels and a slight difference in centre distance between the two machines you could easily get 50mm on the band length.
Thats why I mentioned my Dad making his own bands up. If you are able to do your own you would get them the right length and more than likely save some money in the process.
I would think you would be able to buy blade by the roll. Maybe a group of bandsaw owners could do a group buy on a roll and split it up between them.

regards
bollie7

Grahame Collins
6th May 2009, 09:31 PM
Hi,
It should not surprise you you to find out that the subject has been discussed a time or two before.

Here's some links to keep you busy,

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=80044&highlight=bandsaw+blades

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=51141&highlight=bandsaw+blades

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=42007&highlight=bandsaw+blades

As for the discrepancy in the length,try this.

You may have to strip off the guards to get access to measure around your wheels.
Run a flexible tape or even a bit of string around the wheels and mark the overlaps. Do this with the wheels adjusted in so they are almost at the minimum adjustment.
This will give you a bit of flexibility if the blade stretches a bit. The opposite is to have the wheels adjusted out to the max and you have no where to go when the blade stretches.Don't ask me how I know this.

Cheers

graemet
6th May 2009, 09:43 PM
Ray, I just take an old blade that fits, along to Henry Brothers Saws and they make me what I want on the spot. (or they used to - I haven't needed new blades for a while now.) It would be worth a phonecall.
Cheers
Graeme

Woodlee
6th May 2009, 09:44 PM
Quote"The saw I've used a few times here at work has a small welding attachment and I think a special grinder for doing the bands. I've never used it or seen it used.(saw doesn't get a lot of use). I'm not sure if the welder butt welds the ends or if its a lap joint. I suspect it might be a lap joint because of the grinder but I could be wrong (which is not unusual" Unquote

The industrial band saws with the blade welder are usually found on metal band saws Ive never seen one on a woodworking bandsaw, that is not to say you can used a metal band saw to cut timber or vice versa.
They work by resistance welding the blade end together with a butt joint .
Basically to square up the two ends with the grinder (also usually on the machine ) slightly chamfer the edges of the ends .Clamp one end in the clamp ,set the gap while clamping the other end and activate the lever or whatever and one clamp will move to close the gap and power is applied and the weld is completed.
The grinder is then used to clean up the weld so there is no lump on the blade.
Been many years since I've used one but I could hardly forget , used to break a lot of band saw blades cutting tool steel and other tool making metals.

Kev

wheelinround
6th May 2009, 10:00 PM
Ray, I just take an old blade that fits, along to Henry Brothers Saws and they make me what I want on the spot. (or they used to - I haven't needed new blades for a while now.) It would be worth a phonecall.
Cheers
Graeme

Yep did this with the blade that was on saw when I got it when it broke. Mark at Henry Bro's measured it, left the old blade with them I took a new blade at the time with me. I ordered 4 other types of blades a wood blade, aluminium a blade for tool steel and one other, all (except the repaired one) including the one I brought home with me 2 inches to long :doh::o:roll:

They all went back and were shortened

wheelinround
6th May 2009, 10:03 PM
Quote"The saw I've used a few times here at work has a small welding attachment and I think a special grinder for doing the bands. I've never used it or seen it used.(saw doesn't get a lot of use). I'm not sure if the welder butt welds the ends or if its a lap joint. I suspect it might be a lap joint because of the grinder but I could be wrong (which is not unusual" Unquote

The industrial band saws with the blade welder are usually found on metal band saws Ive never seen one on a woodworking bandsaw, that is not to say you can used a metal band saw to cut timber or vice versa.
They work by resistance welding the blade end together with a butt joint .
Basically to square up the two ends with the grinder (also usually on the machine ) slightly chamfer the edges of the ends .Clamp one end in the clamp ,set the gap while clamping the other end and activate the lever or whatever and one clamp will move to close the gap and power is applied and the weld is completed.
The grinder is then used to clean up the weld so there is no lump on the blade.
Been many years since I've used one but I could hardly forget , used to break a lot of band saw blades cutting tool steel and other tool making metals.

Kev

I believe this is how my friend is doing them the ones he's making.

bollie7
7th May 2009, 08:41 AM
Yep did this with the blade that was on saw when I got it when it broke. Mark at Henry Bro's measured it, left the old blade with them I took a new blade at the time with me. I ordered 4 other types of blades a wood blade, aluminium a blade for tool steel and one other, all (except the repaired one) including the one I brought home with me 2 inches to long :doh::o:roll:

They all went back and were shortened
Aah, you didn't say that at the start, I got the impression that you had bought an "off the shelf" band and it didn't fit. Obviously the bloke who measured the broken one that you supplied made a stuff up when he measured.

bollie7

wheelinround
7th May 2009, 03:09 PM
Aah, you didn't say that at the start, I got the impression that you had bought an "off the shelf" band and it didn't fit. Obviously the bloke who measured the broken one that you supplied made a stuff up when he measured.

bollie7

One I first got from Henry Bros was off the shelf