PDA

View Full Version : Incra or Leigh?

Greg Q
5th May 2009, 11:01 PM
Hello Incroids, I have a dumb question for you: I have an Incra system which I have never used for dovetails. A year ago a friend gifted me with a Leigh system complete which I have not used either. (I know...:-)

Has anyone here used both and can suggest which system I should spend time learning for basic drawer dovetails?

Thanks

Greg

Gwhat
6th May 2009, 08:25 PM
Hello Incroids, I have a dumb question for you: I have an Incra system which I have never used for dovetails. A year ago a friend gifted me with a Leigh system complete which I have not used either. (I know...:-)

Has anyone here used both and can suggest which system I should spend time learning for basic drawer dovetails?

Thanks

Greg

Greg

E-mail us for a free DVD and we'll send a Incra DVD that will at least show you how the Incra system works.

Regards

Grahame

Greg Q
6th May 2009, 08:45 PM
Excellent. Thank you for the offer.

Greg

damian
13th May 2009, 10:27 AM
Do you have the bits to do dovetails with the incra ? ie the right angle fixture etc ?

I haven't used the leigh, and I'm a bit of a incra evangelist, so bear my prejudice in mind.

With incra you can mass produce, you stuff, clamp up 4 or more boards and cut them at once. You can use any dovetail bit and any router you can mount in a table. You don't need specific bits or bushes or special bases.

The incra will also work as a table saw fence and cut sliding dovetails without the hassle and setup of the leigh. You can do double dovetails, cornerpost dovetails and any variable spacing you want.

But some people prefer the leigh and for some work pieces it is probably easier to handle. Both systems are very good. It sounds like I'm knocking the leigh but they are supposed to be very good, I just love the system I've got.

Mike Wingate
27th June 2009, 08:39 PM
I am a big fan of the Incra jig. I have an old Ultra that lay unused in my workshop with a Jessem router lift, for too many years. I had a job to do that used 6mm thick MDF to make LARGE boxes for my daughters stage design models, 4 foot x 2 x 2 containers to store and transport around the country. I made a router table 3 x 2 foot and quickly assembled the componants. Watched a few videos on the Incra site and on youtube and set to work. 3/8" offset finger joints for the construction, No problems. I have since used the jig to produce some oak boxes. No dovetails yet.