PDA

View Full Version : tolex stick down glue query

old_picker
6th May 2009, 12:22 PM
what is the best having regard for the ability to move the tolex a little during the glueing process, not being poisoned by toxic fumes - availablilty

MICKYG
7th May 2009, 03:33 PM
Ray, the glue i have used on tolex is the same as is used for gluing laminex down, it is a contact adhesive 440t. Do not buy a big quanity as it goes off with time on the shelf. The stuff is a bit stinky but works well. This stuff goes tacky fairly quick but is a good job when finished. I doubt you could call it enviromentally friendly.

Regards Mike

soundman
20th June 2009, 03:06 PM
I've been using standard brushable sprayable contact for covering speaker boxes & road cases and fixing linings in cases

the brand does not matter but you are looking for a formular with high solids content...the laminex SR202 ( rebadged bostic) was always good.
If you want small quantities big w sell suspiciously similar stucc under the chevron brand in 1/2 and 1 litres.
I've been buying it ( untill recently) in 20l's and yes it does go stale after a few months... even if you freshen it up with thinners.

the trick with audio type upholstery, cases, speaker boxes is to lay it down a little green....lay up you main flat areas then freshen up your folds and laps before you cut your laps and corners.

yeh its a bit stinky, but the solvents are good honest stuff that with good ventilation present no problem.........they can get a but intense if you have to climb into a case to line it... but if you spray or brush away from where you are actualy working and let the job tack off before you put it back on the work bench... most of the solvent is gone.

I've looked at all sorts of other glues... but none of them have the workability.

cheers