PDA

View Full Version : HM-30 Mill/Drill

Dingo Dog
7th May 2009, 12:57 AM
Blokes

Anybody ever done a replacement motor on a 240v HM-30 Mill/Drill or similar machine. My motor has lost reverse. Two years ago it lost forward, took it out and down to a local electrickery fella who replaced one of the big things on the motor now I think the other one is gone kaput. When I engage reverse there is sound like a cat farting.

Am looking at getting an Oz built electric motor for the replacement. All suggestions will be greatly appreciated or info on getting the pully off the existing shaft.

DD

Greg Q
7th May 2009, 10:06 AM
The traditional method of removing a pulley is to gently tension it with a bearing puller then heat the hub of the wheel. It should pop free without risking distortion of the pulley.

The big things on your motor are capacitors I imagine. I'd be surprised if they had different ones for forward and reverse.

I don't know what a cat fart sounds like so no help there.

Good luck finding an Australian built motor-they are around but spendy.

Greg

wannabe
7th May 2009, 10:18 AM
Does a cat fart sound like a dog fart?
Does it smell like a fart too? If it does it's probably the capacitor. Then again it may have just been the cat.:U

Greg Q
7th May 2009, 10:27 AM
Does a cat fart sound like a dog fart?
Does it smell like a fart too? If it does it's probably the capacitor. .:U

What have you been eating?:oo:

.RC.
7th May 2009, 11:28 AM
My mill/drill has two capacitors which I assume are for forward/reverse...Just replace the faulty one..cost about $15..

Sterob
7th May 2009, 07:59 PM
One cap will be the 'run' cap and the other will be the 'start' cap, if it has two caps.
I think to reverse such a motor one has to swap the leads of the run winding or the start winding. A switch is usually employed to do this job.
If the motor still runs in one direction, the caps and windings will be ok. I would suspect the forward/reverse switch as the culprit.
An easy fix for a Lecky and alot safer if you are not lectrickery inclined.
Good luck.