PDA

View Full Version : Stain removal advice - maple veneer Sideboard/Bar.

Tikirocker
7th May 2009, 02:44 AM
G;day all,

I have recently picked up a large 1950's Art Déco styled maple veneer sideboard/cocktail bar. The overall condition is very good but the original finish over the veneer has large sections of very fine crazing and cracked finish which I plan to restore.

My main question comes regards a red ink like stain of some origin yet to be ascertained. It looks almost like the ink from a red texta that has seeped into the veneer - the size of the area is just under half the palm of your hand.

Before I do anything to make it worse I'd like some advice on best methods of lifting or removing the stain - in what order should I try various things to remove it? If I use very fine steel wool, I don't want to risk rubbing the stain deeper into the veneer etc. Should I be trying a damp cloth with methylated spirits first ... assuming this may be a spirit based stain etc?

I have read a little on oxalic acid but have not read anything that gives me a solid how to guide in application and use in my specific situation. And what would be the best finish for this sideboard in the final stage? Shellac or something else?

Thanks for your advice in advance.

Best, Tiki.

toolbagsPLUS
7th May 2009, 09:02 AM
Sorry can't help with the stain without actually seeing it but you could as you suggest try wiping it out with metho? But the finish would have been shellac.

Cheers

Steve

rightendup
8th May 2009, 07:21 AM
Try different solvents; spirits,alcohol,acetone or toulene, water!- never know. If something comes up unto your white rag, you know the solvent to use.
Also a low strength lye and water scrub with a fine bristle brass 'toothbrush' may help (with the grain). Can buy some drain cleaners that are 100 per cent lye.
For now, I would stay away from oxalic, as it may bleach the field and not the stain.
Red has always been somewhat fugitive in strong sunlight - maybe a little Sun bleach may help.

Tikirocker
8th May 2009, 07:25 PM
G'day Gents,

Thankyou for your replies ... I decided to keep it simple and tried a little metho on a clean white soft rag - and with a little work the red stain immediately began to lift and stain the white rag. It took a bout 20 mins with working most of the stain out - the more stubborn stuff came away with #0000 steel wool dipped in a little metho.

So now the stain is gone ... a fantastic result as I had my concerns at first.

My final question is this - would I be ok to refinish using BLO and a wax finish or would this not work - should I re-do it in shellac and French polish? I tend to prefer a more matt finish. What about padding shellac?

Thanks again, Tiki. :2tsup: