PDA

View Full Version : Full Extension Drawer Slides

DavidW
21st June 2004, 01:22 PM
Does anyone know where I can source these items? I have an old bench obtained from a Defence Department auction some years ago which is quite deep and it's a pain in the butt to get things from the back

I want to put in some slide out trays ala Norms garage workshop project but my local Bunnies doesn't have the heavy duty full extension slides required to support my power tools etc.

Therapy
21st June 2004, 03:33 PM
Try Hafele Furniture Fittings.

Their web address is http://www.hafele.com.au/isapi/home/default.asp.

Click on Online Catalogues under Catalogues then Furniture Fittings, then Drawer Runners etc in the left hand margin.

I notice they have a store at Coopers Plains.

PaulS
21st June 2004, 03:44 PM
David
These are quite expensive (about $50 a go). I was thinking of making a nice wooden filing cabinet but the price of the drawer slides put me off. But what i am going to do is use the drawer slides from my old 4 drawer cabinet and make two, two drawer cabinets. So maybe you could pick up a second hand file cabinet and use them???

I have seen the full extensions drawers at Bunnings.

jackiew
21st June 2004, 03:58 PM
I scored a practically brand new filing cabinet in the hard rubbish collection in the summer ( the guy was moving house and was too lazy to sell it :confused: ) and there were probably 4 or 5 filing cabinets in varying conditions out on people's nature strips .... always worth going and having a look for useful bits and pieces ( equipped with spanners and screwdrivers for removing drawer handles etc).

soundman
21st June 2004, 04:15 PM
Don't get over keen about the drawer slides in filing cabinets, they arent all that flash.
Hafle have some verrry nice slides that will hold masive loads and their rating can be believed.
there are some cheaper full extenders about.
try lincon sentry
cabinet hardware suplies
and so forth.
And the prices often get much better when you buy a box of them.
cheers

Sturdee
21st June 2004, 05:46 PM
David
These are quite expensive (about $50 a go).

Earlier this year I bought some slide full extension drawer runners from Wilson & Bradley. The cost for 300mm was $12.06 a set and for 450mm was $ 15.95 a set.

Peter.

Ben from Vic.
21st June 2004, 06:19 PM
David,

You shouldn't pay more than about $30 a pr up to 600mm (some also stock 700mm for about $36) and they are the dear ones.

Much longer than that and you go "Heavy Duty". And you know what that means :eek:

Ben.

PaulS
21st June 2004, 06:35 PM
Looks like I need to shop around some more.
Thanks
Paul

GeoffS
21st June 2004, 06:59 PM
The ones I bought from Bunnies about 5 years ago are still supporting large drawers full of kitchen china and other kitchen ware. I think I'm probably overloading some of them but so far - not a problem.
Cheers

MajorPanic
21st June 2004, 07:57 PM
Hi ya David,

I bought 450mm fullextension draw slides form HAFELE Australia that will hold 45kg per draw for $14.25 a set. You can get either side mount or bottom mount slides and sets that will hold up to 120kg per draw.

Their on line catalogue is HERE (http://www.hafele.com.au/isapi/online/catalogues.asp)

AlexS
21st June 2004, 09:10 PM
And at least some of the Hafele side mounts can actually be concealed - ie they mount to the side of the carcase and the runner hides under the drawer. I paid about $20/pair, but they do have a minimum total order.

Oldblock
21st June 2004, 09:23 PM
If you are on a tight budget and you don't mind a challenge, Fine Woodworking did an article on full extension drawer slides made with wood.
It was in the August 2000 issue entitled 'Full extension Wooden Slides'
The cost would be peanuts.

scooter
21st June 2004, 09:40 PM
...Fine Woodworking did an article on full extension drawer slides made with wood.
It was in the August 2000 issue entitled 'Full extension Wooden Slides'.

David, I have a copy of this article somewhere. PM me if you're interested and I'll send the search party out - should find it by Christmas :p .

Cheers.........Sean

TOMARTOM
22nd June 2004, 01:06 PM
Try Elraco in SA,
pricing may be cheaper than otherwise mentioned

www.elraco.com.au
regards
tony

DavidW
22nd June 2004, 09:52 PM
Thanks for the wealth of info guy's.

I am not sure how to deal with Hafele, to get an online account it apears you need to be a business, however I will give them a bell and see how I go.

Same with elraco, they have a minimum of 12 sets when I require only 4 but I will give them a call, the price may make it worth it.

Scooter, I will give you a PM I am interested in those home made slides for another job.

Again thanks all for the info, this site is the best woodies recsource around.

steve the jack
22nd June 2004, 10:41 PM
david the company im with has a good friendship with haffele, if you let me know exact sizes it wouldn't be a problem for me to get them in at mates rates, then post them to ya, not sure how long it would take as they are usually pretty slow with the locks i order, anyways let me know!

steve the jack
22nd June 2004, 10:52 PM
not a full on plug but i was well impressed by the range of quality door/drawer furniture that this company has, both modern and traditional styles, it's worth a look. if ya need that finishin touch on your weekends efforts. the site is as follows. www.woodpend.com.au (http://www.woodpend.com.au)