Ed Reiss
7th May 2009, 11:56 AM
thought he was making 500lb bunker buster bombs :doh::D

Tim the Timber Turner
7th May 2009, 12:23 PM
Technically interesting.

I love the handling system, brilliant.:2tsup:

Don't like the shapes.:no:

That amount of work deserves a nicer finished form.

Grumpy John
7th May 2009, 02:18 PM
:iagree:

orraloon
7th May 2009, 02:46 PM
Interesting!
Notice it is a regular size lathe and was surprised at the machine putting up with something that weight. For a second or two I was thinking only a few sheets of mdf and I can have a setup like that. Then visions of that flying around the workshop brought me back to normal. I do like his two stroke roughing gouge.
Regards
John

Manuka Jock
7th May 2009, 02:50 PM
Interesting!
Notice it is a regular size lathe and was surprised at the machine putting up with something that weight. For a second or two I was thinking only a few sheets of mdf and I can have a setup like that. Then visions of that flying around the workshop brought me back to normal. I do like his two stroke roughing gouge.
Regards
John

a regular size lathe with a 2 hp motor , and a well balanced load :2tsup:

Tim the Timber Turner
7th May 2009, 02:59 PM
a regular size lathe with a 2 hp motor , and a well balanced load :2tsup:

I suspect there was a fair bit of ballast hiding behind all that plywood surrounding the lathe.

Manuka Jock
7th May 2009, 03:15 PM
I suspect there was a fair bit of ballast hiding behind all that plywood surrounding the lathe.

Yeah , I reckon.
A ton or two of sand and a few tie-down bolts is all it needs eh ....
and well constructed boxes :p

I figure that the main trick there is to line up the centers perfectly , so as not to strain the bearings

ElizaLeahy
7th May 2009, 03:46 PM
I was on the phone talking to my cousin and watching it with the sound off. When he pulled out the chainsaw I almost yelled into the phone!

Ad de Crom
7th May 2009, 07:06 PM
Holy cow, what a guy.
Never saw such a performance.
Like the idea, but the inside is not what I like to see.
Ad

Tim the Timber Turner
7th May 2009, 09:50 PM
Like the idea, but the inside is not what I like to see.
Ad[/QUOTE]

Needs a bit of a touch up with some sandpaper?

Sawdust Maker
7th May 2009, 10:35 PM
Yep
I was wondering about the length etc of The "hughie ripsnorter" TM, needed to finish the insides of such a vase

hughie
7th May 2009, 10:48 PM
I was wondering about the length etc of The "hughie ripsnorter" TM, needed to finish the insides of such a vase[

No worries! It'll handle it. Just shove the handle in a bit of 2" pipe and a way you go :U

Texian
8th May 2009, 01:58 PM
Don't need no stinkin' carbide roughing tool!

Manuka Jock
8th May 2009, 02:19 PM
Don't need no stinkin' carbide roughing tool! true , thats' what 4 ft chainsaw bars are for :D

AUSSIE
18th May 2009, 05:41 PM
I noticed that no one was helping or even in sight.Could it be they were not game to hang around or have they all been killed with flying potplant holders.
By the way I like the outside as well as the inside,all nice and neat.Not the old boring turning.It is something with a bit of flair>You make something to a formula that everyone else does and it is only worth the same as what everyone else gets for theirs.
Not sure how long this guy will last,It wouldnt take too many hits with one of these to finish you off.
PS
A mate just suggested that we not tell Carl (Weisyboy') about this.He would be into it only bigger.Chain saw roaring and the lathe going even faster.Oh No!!:fingerscrossed::omg: