PDA

View Full Version : Learning to Turn Part 3

jefferson
10th May 2009, 07:32 PM
was up here a few weeks back for some more lessons. A mix of spindle work and bowls. Or more correctly, tool control and confidence. Day 2 didn't go too well. Advanced sheer cuts on a hard lump of redgum that 2 valium and 8 beers barely took the edge off!

One thing above all that has helped has been the practice. Aside from today - Mother's Day - I have turned each and every day since, not matter what my mood. Some days, some tiny redgum bowls, others, honey dippers and dibblers. I've got 19 little redgum bowls ready to go, seeking a home in one of the local craft shops. Is $30 too much to ask for a little bowl? I'd post some pics but Shrink Pic and I are still negotiating.

This turning caper is addictive. I used to make furniture but not any more. Kitchens yes, under sufferance. But oh the pleasure in learning something new. ( insists I have office worker's hand but I intend to change that over the next year or so!).

Expensive? Most definitely. Turning recycled / KD redgum for the most part, I regret all my cheap chisel acquisitions. The best two I have - a 1 inch skew and a 1/2 inch bowl gouge are both Hamlets of the more expensive variety. ASP 2020 or something. They do indeed stay sharper for longer. No more skimping on tools! I have quite a collection now - Calm says you only need six chisels but I beg to differ. I have 5 skews and they all get a workout at some stage.

Next big projects are to get the cyclone and the VL100 up and running, complete with decent ducting. Bob L from Perth, thanks a million for your advice. I soon should have an almost dust-free lathe workshop and less dust up the nose.

So for all those budding turners out there, watch out.

I suggest lessons, then lots of practice. Start on pine, then progress to the hard stuff. Think small, not big. Honey dippers and tops are great practice.

And make some contacts! The guys on this forum have not only helped immensely but great friendships have developed.

In time, I hope to return some of the many favours that have come my way.

Stay tuned for Learning to Turn Part 4 as I intend to tackle the platters this week. No promises though!

regards Jeff

Calm
10th May 2009, 07:54 PM
Your buggared now Jeff - you got addicted as well as attitude -

Success is just around the corner.

Cheers

Sawdust Maker
10th May 2009, 10:29 PM
wish I could get into the shed every day:~

tea lady
10th May 2009, 11:59 PM
:2tsup: $30 seems pretty reasonable. It is all practice isn't it. After a while your hands just know.

So where they on the ye olde screw chuck? had me using the Double sided tape and nail chuck this week.:C Was only doing small blackwood (:rolleyes: ) things. It came off once or twice but I missed him both times.:doh: :D

Ed Reiss
11th May 2009, 05:03 AM
$30 dollars doesn't sound unreasonable, but some shop owners are:doh:...they'll surely let you know.:D

Didn't try for the 3rd time, TL ? :o

RETIRED
11th May 2009, 08:05 AM
It came off once or twice but I missed him both times.:doh: :DAs the song goes "better luck next time.":D

jefferson
11th May 2009, 08:43 AM
:2tsup: $30 seems pretty reasonable. It is all practice isn't it. After a while your hands just know.

So where they on the ye olde screw chuck? had me using the Double sided tape and nail chuck this week.:C Was only doing small blackwood (:rolleyes: ) things. It came off once or twice but I missed him both times.:doh: :D

Yep, Tea Lady, all done with the Vicmarc screw chuck. No double sided tape me for just yet.

I suggest you improve your aim too if you want to catch unawares.

Jeff

madcraft
11th May 2009, 03:18 PM
Is $30 too much to ask for a little bowl?

It depends on your market , i've had silky oak and spotty gum platters {8-10 inch) get buried by dust they sat so long , got plenty of jeez thats nice I must get it {for $30}

and I can't keep enough natural edge { 4-6 inch } spanish cedar bowls on the table {for $30}

Skew ChiDAMN!!
11th May 2009, 04:44 PM
Double-sided tape? :oo: UFO city!

I've used it for small lids, etc. but never anything larger... maybe I should sign up to one of 's "classes?" :U

RETIRED
11th May 2009, 06:12 PM

I've used it for small lids, etc. but never anything larger... maybe I should sign up to one of 's "classes?" :U"Tis all they was but I used to turn bread boards that way with tail stock support.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
11th May 2009, 07:01 PM
Ahhh... Maroondah Woodturners turned many of the wooden plaques for the Nunawading show's presentations and double-sided tape was the recommended mounting method.

That made for an... "interesting" activities night. :)

I'm soooo glad it wasn't bread-boards!

jefferson
11th May 2009, 07:14 PM
Skew (and others),

I'd be very wary about taking lessons from . He runs the variable speed lathe at the max where possible, enjoys showering your turning area with shavings and, invariably, takes it "to the limit".

I think the last couple of lessons has settled somewhat - learning that not all of us are blessed with the golden touch. Even on the sharpening score, I think now accepts that free-hand is not the way to go for beginners.

Mind you, I will get the bugger. My skew skills are improving by the day.

So stay tuned and stay safe.

Jeff

Skew ChiDAMN!!
11th May 2009, 07:25 PM
I'd be very wary about taking lessons from . He runs the variable speed lathe at the max where possible, enjoys showering your turning area with shavings and, invariably, takes it "to the limit".

I'd probably drive mad. I know damned well that I've got some bad habits, but they're pretty well in-grained by now. :-

Wish I'd met him several years earlier...

tea lady
12th May 2009, 11:32 AM
Skew (and others),

Jeff :think: Why he bothered with variable speed is a bit of a mystery, cos he does it on flat out all the time anyway.:doh:

I've used it for small lids, etc. but never anything larger... maybe I should sign up to one of 's "classes?" :U I was only doing small lids. The UFOs were about 10 cm, and the bottoms weren't flat enough. I found a roll of the "good" double sided tape. I'll see if I can do it by myself, or if it was only 's will power keeping them on. :D