PDA

View Full Version : Two Small Platers

orificiam
10th May 2009, 11:42 PM
Hi Guys it's been a while since i posted something,Been to busy building a new workshop. anyway I.ve missed the lathe so i got stuck in to it again.
I've had thi block of Ash for a few years now,I was going to turn another bowl but not wanting to waste all that beautiful wood into shavings I decided to make 2 small platers out of it.Most of the work was done with 13mm bowl gauge and then finished with a scraper. because this wood is very light in colour I used french polish for the first coat then two coats of organoil mixed with linseed oil 50/50
hope you like them. one is 15 x 45cm second 140x35 cm.
The last photo is of my new workshop but that another post.
Cheers Tony.

Manuka Jock
10th May 2009, 11:59 PM
Top marks Tony . Nice finish too.

What were the dimensions of the blank to start with ?
Also , what parting tool did you use ,

Ed Reiss
11th May 2009, 04:56 AM
About time you got around to buggering up some timber, Tony:D

What do I think of the 2 platters.........:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Ad de Crom
11th May 2009, 05:35 AM
Tony, good use of that ash. The endresult 2 very nice and good looking platters.
Ad :2tsup:

Farnk
11th May 2009, 11:51 AM
Good choice of finish mate, has brought them up well.
I hear what you're saying about wasting fine timber, I've been meaning to look into one of those bowl saver thingies...

Rum Pig
11th May 2009, 01:54 PM
Nice one...... or should that be two???:2tsup::2tsup:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
11th May 2009, 04:47 PM
I'm not a great fan of "bowl-saving" methods, but the results of this one came out looking good.

I can easily imagine them sitting on someone's kitchen bench. :)

Hmmm... how close does the shallow one come to fitting as a lid in the big one? A finialled knob of a contrasting timber... :innocent:

orificiam
11th May 2009, 05:43 PM
Top marks Tony . Nice finish too.

What were the dimensions of the blank to start with ?
Also , what parting tool did you use ,
Thanks guys you're very kind.

Hi Jock the Blank was 155x70 .
the parting tool is a home made from a HSS brobo metal cutting Blade. 2.5mm x25mm it's one of the best tools I've Made.

Hi Skew-How close? --almost perfect with minimal work it wold work OK.even the grain matches .here's a Pic. It never crossed my mind to try what you've suggested
but I gues that's a good reason to be part of the forum. you learn everyday from others Thanks.
Cheers Tony.:)
I

Skew ChiDAMN!!
11th May 2009, 06:16 PM
Hi Skew-How close? --almost perfect with minimal work it wold work OK.even the grain matches .here's a Pic. It never crossed my mind to try what you've suggested
but I gues that's a good reason to be part of the forum. you learn everyday from others Thanks.

That could be an interesting exercise.

Something to keep in mind for future pieces, anyway. :)