PDA

View Full Version : Beads on facework

Tiger
11th May 2009, 10:58 AM
I can do beads on spindle work pretty easily but on the weekend I was trying a platter and wanted to put a bead or two on the base, I found it difficult and while I can scrape one out I'd like to know what others do in that situation. I watched a Raffan video but it was a little too fast and I couldn't replicate the procedure. Any links, suggestions welcome.

orificiam
12th May 2009, 10:32 PM
Hi Tiger I've not done it myself but have seen it done. This Guy was doing Beads with a Parting tool. The parting tool is used on it's side similar to a Skew chisel. Hope this helps.
Cheers Tony.:)

NeilS
13th May 2009, 09:52 AM
There was a thread on this very topic some time ago. Think it was started by rsser. Search on: rsser bead bowl.

Neil

Tiger
13th May 2009, 06:20 PM
Thanks, Tony and Neil.

I can actually manage a bead on the side of a bowl, it's the beads at the base of a bowl or platter that cause me trouble and even then it's the right side of the bead that causes a problem because the centrifugal force forces the spindle gouge away and causes a catch.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
13th May 2009, 06:31 PM
Ah. I know what you mean... by the time you finish the bead, the outside edge of the bowl/platter looks like it has been textured with a spiralling tool. :rolleyes:

Technique be blowed... that's when I use a bedan or scraper. :B

joe greiner
14th May 2009, 12:19 AM
Try using the pointy end (toe?) of a small skew chisel, to slice notches for the base of the beads. Then roll into them from each side of the bead(s), still slicing. A parting tool, rotated to vertical, can function as a tiny skew chisel, but without the skew angle. On cross-grain work, I've found a bowl gouge works better than a spindle gouge, but I'm no expert - I probably read about it someplace.

Cheers,
Joe

NeilS
14th May 2009, 10:04 AM
Like Joe, I use a small skew and/or parting tool (with long bevels and used as bedan) and/or small bedan and/or 3/16" gouge. The profile on the last is similar to David Ellsworth's 3/8" Crown spindle gouge on this page (http://www.woodcentral.com/newforum/grinds.shtml). Any one, or combination of these, will do the job.

Expect to turn a small bead in two or three passes to get a good profile. Small doesn't necessarily mean quick, well not until you have done tens of thousands of them like Jean-Francois Escoulen... :)

Like all turning, start with an orthodox technique and practice. A small bead seems to require a disproportionate amount of body movement.

Neil

Ed Reiss
14th May 2009, 12:15 PM
Tiger...here's a small bowl made from Grandillo. Had to calculate the extra thickness required to develop the 2 beads - they are 3/16th" done with a 3/16th beading tool.