PDA

View Full Version : WOODWORKING QUIZ for 22 June 04

Ralph Jones
22nd June 2004, 09:56 PM
Good Evening Friends,
Since I am posting these quizzes in the evening where you fellows are and forget about the time difference and the fact that you fellows like to get a good night of sleep and fail to have the time or interest in them because I am using American terms. As per my answer to the previous post and my request for someone to help me learn your terms and uses, that I might make the quizzes more interesting. Any and all help would be appreciated. I will extend the answer time by one day my time, since you are some 14 hours ahead of me.

Todays quiz should be one that effects everyone no matter where you are.

What is a ground fault interrupter and why is it used?

Respectfully, :)

bitingmidge
22nd June 2004, 10:11 PM
Ralph,

I'm guessing you are referring to an Earth Leakage Breaker/ Earth Leakage Current Detector?

Over to one of the electrical boffins for an explanation!! ;)

P

Robert WA
22nd June 2004, 10:15 PM
I didn't have a clue so I looked it up. Electricity is all Dutch to me.

Ground fault interrupters are designed to protect from electrical shock by interrupting a household circuit when there is a difference in the currents in the "hot" and neutral wires. Such a difference indicates that an abnormal diversion of current from the "hot" wire is occuring. Such a current might be flowing in the ground wire, such as a leakage current from a motor or from capacitors. More importantly, that current diversion may be occuring because a person has come into contact with the "hot" wire and is being shocked. When a circuit is functioning normally, all the return current from an appliance flows through the neutral wire, so the presence of a difference between "hot" and neutral currents represents a malfunction which in some circumstances could produce a dangerous or even lethal shock hazard.

Robert WA
22nd June 2004, 10:21 PM
"When a circuit is functioning normally, all the return current from an appliance flows through the neutral wire"

Hang on, hang on!!!!
If all the current that goes in comes out again, why are we paying for it. Someone call the cops. The electricity people are ripping us off.

Sturdee
22nd June 2004, 10:45 PM
What is a ground fault interrupter and why is it used?

I think this is what we call a safety switch. Installed on the main fuse board to cut of all power in case of the fault described by Robert.

Peter.

Ian007
23rd June 2004, 07:01 AM
RCD = Residual current device
AS/NZS 3000 Clause 2.5.3.3, "Other Electrical Installations", requires RCD protection on socket outlets not exceeding 20 A where there is an increased risk of electric shock.

dont forget if you dont earth it you can still get a zap :eek:

cheers Ian :)

silentC
23rd June 2004, 09:42 AM
If all the current that goes in comes out again, why are we paying for it. Someone call the cops. The electricity people are ripping us off.

Not only that, but because it's alternating 50 times a second, you're actually getting the same electrons back and then they charge you for them again! And some of them belonged to you in the first place. It's the biggest scam in history.

Wood Borer
23rd June 2004, 09:52 AM
Using that theory, someone buying fine woodwork could argue that the cost of the finished article should be less than the timber purchased to make the article :D

Unfortunately we are charged (no pun intended) for the energy and not the electrons.

- Wood Borer

Ralph Jones
23rd June 2004, 10:14 AM
You fellows have no idea how much you are teaching me in your terms as compared to ours, and when I answer the quiz tomorrow morning my time, you will see how they parallel.

Thank you for my education.

Kev Y.
23rd June 2004, 04:25 PM
Not only that, but because it's alternating 50 times a second, you're actually getting the same electrons back and then they charge you for them again! And some of them belonged to you in the first place. It's the biggest scam in history.

I feel I should be defending myself here, but can not be bothered, keep sending me that money.. I have an expensive habit to support..

BTW I work here : http//www.loyyangpower.com.au (http://www.loyyangpower.com.au)

Kev :p :cool: :rolleyes:

silentC
23rd June 2004, 04:58 PM
My Uncle was at Hazelwood, that's not too far from you if I recall correctly. I'm a Mirboo North boy from way back.

Kev Y.
23rd June 2004, 07:30 PM
I know the suburn of WAY BACK in Mirboo North, I can hear the BANJO's playing even now........ :rolleyes: :p :cool:

Barry_White
23rd June 2004, 08:29 PM
The acronym for it is ELCB which is Earth Leakage Circuit Breaker of which you can have one installed on the Main Switch Board or there are portable ones that you can plug into a power outlet and then plug your power tools into.

I think you would find that they are compulsory on building sites in NSW.

Ralph Jones
23rd June 2004, 09:50 PM
Good Evening Friends,
Your EICB Earth Leakage Circuit Breaker is exactly the same thing as our GFCI Ground Fault Circuit Breaker as they both do the same job and intercept a possible short in a wire , tool or line and will automatically trip the circuit breaker.

As several of you have already stated that they should be or are mandatory on all construction jobs and also we too have the ones that you can carry in you pocket to check the extension cords for reverse polarity, which is just as dangerous as a short.

Thank you for your support.

silentC
24th June 2004, 10:20 AM
I know the suburn of WAY BACK in Mirboo North, I can hear the BANJO's playing even now........ :rolleyes: :p :cool:
Mirboo North has suburbs now? Must've grown since I was there last. I could never work out why everyone was everyone else's cousin...

Ralph Jones
24th June 2004, 10:44 AM
Too much inbreeding will cause that kind of situation.

Course some people always call others cousin anyway.