PDA

View Full Version : Persist or give up??

Calm
11th May 2009, 10:32 PM
Decided to have a go at something i have been contemplating for some time.

Came up with an idea to make a candle holder with double axis

So here goes.

Spinning in centres first i used the parting tool to put a slot each end of the centre peice then a spindle gouge to form the ball (sort of ball anyway) and then shape the ends with a concave curve.

Drilled the 25 mm hole for the candle (on pedistal drill) and mounted on the pin jaws.

Then formed the curve (cutting outwards) from the centre to the edge

Then the bottom (cutting outwards again) sanded the top wth the 6 inch air sander and stopped lathe and sanded the bottom with a 3 inch (Ubeaut sander) in the drill.

Problems are to stop the edges chipping away - had lathe at full speed on low pulleys (that would be the STUBBY of course) - used the lightest of cuts - tried blackwood and it was worse than redgum for chipping out..

I think the shape needs work but not sure if the end result will be worthwile.

What do you think. persist or give up?? any hints welcomed.

funkychicken
11th May 2009, 10:35 PM
I'd do it the other way around, for want of a better explanation:doh:

watson
11th May 2009, 10:39 PM
Didn't you steal them from "STAR WARS"????? :D :D

orificiam
11th May 2009, 10:55 PM
:oo::oo: Give Up --NEEEVER. Is that dust I see on the Stubby?:no::no:
Cheers Tony.:)

Grumpy John
11th May 2009, 11:07 PM
"Great works are performed not by strength but by perseverance."
~ Samuel Johnson

watson
11th May 2009, 11:14 PM
~ MICK MALTHOUSE

:U....Sorry, Just couldn't resist

Grumpy John
11th May 2009, 11:34 PM
~ MICK MALTHOUSE

:U....Sorry, Just couldn't resist

It's not working tonight :((:C.

TTIT
12th May 2009, 12:07 AM
What do you think. persist or give up?? any hints welcomed.Definitely persist - unusual enough to turn out nice. Looks like a headless penguin :; at the moment but the idea has potential and limitless scope for the final shape.
I use a spindle gouge on its side to stop the chipping in those situations but I'd have to show you as I'm not much chop at describing technique :shrug:

Paul39
12th May 2009, 07:19 AM
Definately persist.

Whatever tool - scraper, bowl gouge, spindle gouge, right off the grinder, shearing cut, teeny, tiny, smallest cut, barest whisker coming off.

Still chipping - glue a piece of 50 grit onto a ping pong paddle and take the slightest cut with that. Then the usual sanding routine.

wheelinround
12th May 2009, 10:30 AM
Looks fantastic shape Calm brilliant idea every attempt should be video WIP so we can see and learn

Maybe the stubby is the problem :p

Grumpy John
12th May 2009, 10:50 AM
Maybe the stubby is the problem :p

Quite possible, or it could be the ice cold temperatures in Ballarat causing the wood to become brittle, making all future turning impracticable. Better send the Stubby to balmy Carrum Downs. :D:D:D

tea lady
12th May 2009, 11:24 AM
Certainly some potential there! :2tsup: Sometimes just doing more of them irons out the bugs, without even knowing exactly how.:cool:

Ed Reiss
12th May 2009, 11:50 AM
"10 percent inspiration - 90 percent perspiration" Thomas Edison

Nothing worthwhile comes easy, and as Anne-Marie says, there is potential there...you'll work it out David.:D

hughie
12th May 2009, 01:59 PM
David,

Persist, anybody can give up.

dai sensei
12th May 2009, 07:57 PM
You should have come to Turn-Fest2009 mate, Brendon Stemp did a fantastic demo on how to do it safely by using a bed support from scrap pine, avoids the chipping too. See photos from his collection

Skew ChiDAMN!!
12th May 2009, 11:16 PM
Neil, were those turned in the same way as Calms? They look more like they were turned as a "winged bowl" first, then trimmed back, which is a different process to making a spindle first.

I can't see any practical way to give sacrificial support to his, short of casting it in an easily removed resin. (One could turn a sleeve to fit around, but that'd be more effort than the original piece!)

NeilS
13th May 2009, 09:41 AM
You should have come to Turn-Fest2009 mate, Brendon Stemp did a fantastic demo on how to do it safely by using a bed support from scrap pine, avoids the chipping too. See photos from his collection

An article in a recent issue of Wood Review or Woodworking had a step-by-step article on how Brendan approaches these pieces.

Neil

Calm
13th May 2009, 04:06 PM
Got 2 finished one in redgum that i am not happy with as it is too chunky - i want to hollow out the inside of the legs but the redgum (on all other efforts) chips away when they get thin.

The 2nd one is unknown wood from the pile around the back of the shed and it was brilliant - no chipping away or cracking in fact when i got a catch hollowing the legs it actually stoped the lathe and made the belt slip. (yep on the stubby - high range) The next one i will try to get the legs thinner yet.

A couple of photos but still not that happy with them. I would like the curve from the legs to continue to the top instead of a different curve - but that requires a bit of practice on the spindle turned shape as that is when the bit with the hole is shaped.

Boy sanding and polishing these are hard on the fingers.:roll::doh:

Had a bit of trouble with the hole chipping out as a 25 mm spade bit is very tight for pin jaws, also the point was too long and tends to come through the bottom. But a 26mm forstner bit fixed that although the candle is a bit loose in that one. (wrapped the bottom in paper fixed that for the photo.)

What do you think - what is the wood.

Cheers

Calm
13th May 2009, 04:51 PM
Hopefully this explains what i would like to see the fiished one.

I think it needs a bigger diameter blank to start with and get the "ball" in the middle a bit flatter & longer.

Just a matter of interpreting the finished angles when i am doing the spindle turning.

Cheers

tea lady
13th May 2009, 05:32 PM
:think: Need some templates I reckon.:cool:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
13th May 2009, 06:39 PM
Hopefully this explains what i would like to see the fiished one.

I think it needs a bigger diameter blank to start with and get the "ball" in the middle a bit flatter & longer.

Just a matter of interpreting the finished angles when i am doing the spindle turning.

The way you're doing it, if you flatten the top while turning the spindle, you're also flattening the sides and bottom of the "ball." In effect, you'd be turning a barrel, not a ball.

Somehow I don't think this is quite what you want?

Calm
13th May 2009, 06:46 PM
The way you're doing it, if you flatten the top while turning the spindle, you're also flattening the sides and bottom of the "ball." In effect, you'd be turning a barrel, not a ball.

Somehow I don't think this is quite what you want?

I'm starting to think i wont end up with what i want.

i will stick one back in and see what it looks like to just flatten the top out as is - it will be close to the jaws though.

I wanted a round shape (ball) in the middle but i think it would look better if the same line continued to the foot. Maybe i need to keep the ends closer to the ball on the spindle then i can get a steeper slope to the foot? i think:roll:

I tend to think if the ball is too high off the table it does look like a spaceship and that is not what i wanted either.

Cheers

jefferson
13th May 2009, 11:03 PM
David AKA CCAALLMM

I think you need to have a long hard look at what you are doing.

Persist or give up?

The latter choice will please many of us, once you sell off that Stubby of yours at a super-cheap price!

I'll put my offer in - 4K, delivered please. (How heavy is it? DJ's truck can probably handle it though).

Plus, throw in a couple of chucks and anything else decent you've been buying lately. No cr@p though!

Otherwise, if you're going to stay with it, I've got some nice redgum planks you might want to play with - next time you're up, make a selection. Don't be too greedy though.

Sorry, I can't help with the techo aspects of what you're doing. Doesn't stop me from putting my two-bob's worth in.

Keep at it and give me another lesson once you've mastered it.

Jeff