PDA

View Full Version : not rocking horse

brontehls
11th May 2009, 11:24 PM
I have a farly new grand daughter who will be ready for a "horsie" by chriistmas. I was thinking that one of the small ones where the horse moves back and forwards over a base - on a couple of bent steel brackets (lousy description) might be a good starter - anyone know where I could get plans to give ne the angles and dimensions

Neil

Manuka Jock
11th May 2009, 11:50 PM
This sort Neil ?
they call them swing stands .

brontehls
12th May 2009, 08:03 AM
Thats the type of thing - I saw a small one and I was hoping that there might be somewhere that gives the arm lengths etc for various sizes as she will only 16 months at christmas

Neil

toolbagsPLUS
12th May 2009, 09:14 AM
I have a farly new grand daughter who will be ready for a "horsie" by chriistmas. I was thinking that one of the small ones where the horse moves back and forwards over a base - on a couple of bent steel brackets (lousy description) might be a good starter - anyone know where I could get plans to give ne the angles and dimensions

Neil

Very hard to get clean angles:no:, I tried and Failed:doh: then I discovered http://www.rockinghorses.com.au/rocking-horse-kits.htm got a nice new shiny set for $45.00:B

Cheers

Steve

keju
12th May 2009, 10:10 AM
Neil, for a little one that small I'd recommend a different kind of rocking horse.
You don't want to riks her falling off and hurting herself.... a regular horse is probably not a good idea until after she's 3.
Until then I like these ones better..... but sorry.. don't have a pattern for it.
Oh and I do remember mentioning here before that there was a very simple one, very low to the ground.... looks like low rockers with a board on top and horse head attached.... not far to fall.....

Juvy

thebullfrog07
12th May 2009, 06:51 PM
HI, first post

i am 15, i have made a rocking 'elephant', yes and elephant not horse, it was relativly simple. whole thing is made out of Tas oak, rockers and all, safety devices are on it so u cant fly forward or backs, holds over 100kg rocking on it.

still got template for body... i think also the plans, can only email picture say if you need.

brontehls
13th May 2009, 07:23 PM
The swing irons are what I need but the kits etc are all far too large - I have seen them around closed sides and quite low to the ground - a friend is an antique dealer and I know he had one so I am going to ask him to do a heads up and find one that I can measure - bensing the irons shouldnt be a problem as my next door neighbours son now runs the concreting business and I can get any kind of bar bent to any pattern I need

Will post pictures when it is ready

But thank you all for your help and the pictures of the swing irons give me the layout cos it was hard to see them under the side panels.

The little rocking chair is beaut - but this one is going to be like her mother - "I have to climb on it - fall off it try to do it standing on the saddle - sitting and rocking gently isnt how it is done

mick59wests
13th May 2009, 10:43 PM
Hi,

I agree with Juvy. I am making one with a back rest and sides. I got the pattern (full cut out of sizes) from Neil. If you do a search for rocking horse on this forum (I have not worked out links) and see one where he made 2 rocking horses, this is what I am making. If you are keen on this, PM me and I can send the cutouts for the head, side and back. My bub is only 3 months old and I figure he will be able to use in another 6 months.

cheers

Mick

keju
15th May 2009, 03:03 PM
I've found the site again... they have all sorts of really good looking plans... too bad it's in the US.
http://www.meiselwoodhobby.com/Products/ViewCategory.aspx?ID=2949&Path=53

hawkinob
15th May 2009, 10:19 PM
Hi,
I made one from a pattern in "The Triton Project Book", about five years ago now. It's on it's second rider! Had a problem getting the rod for the stirrups, ended up with mild steel from Bunnings and the sleeves are from drilled out hinges - the toilet door type that pull apart. I'll see if I can manage the picture bit.
Hope it helps.
Bob H.
p.s. Mine was out of roofing timber cut offs, a son in law also made one but out of Jarrah - too heavy.

powder monkey
20th May 2009, 11:55 PM
Hi finished mine a few weeks back [medium size Victorian era].
18mm ply wood cut & laminated, then craved with 4" angle grinder,
the stand is solid tassie black wood, my grand-daughter is 2 1/2 yrs and still much to small for it with out someone holding on to her.

bpj1968
25th May 2009, 12:21 PM
Powder Monkey, Nice horse. Did you have any plans to work from?

powder monkey
27th May 2009, 06:51 PM
Hi yes our club found this gent who came and tutored us, and suppiled us with plans@ a cost but then sourced all the parts we needed to complete our horses.
I still have mine ,and i'm in melb if you want to pm me , we could talk, as these plans are full size. kerry:)