PDA

View Full Version : Chuck help

dj_pnevans
12th May 2009, 09:52 PM
Hi all I have a MC-1018 Mini Lathe and have been using it for pens now I want to start making small bowls and tooth pick holders etc. Can any one give me the heads up on a chuck that is good value for money and not to pricey. I have looked at Timbecon and have seen 3 chucks. (TSC-50 for $129, Supernova $265,G3 Scroll Chuck $218) I know you get what you pay for but is the TSC-50 good value?
Thanks David
<o>:p></o>:p>

jefferson
12th May 2009, 09:57 PM
Sorry, David, I can't help with amy of the chucks you mentioned. Have you thought about a Vicmarc chuck? I have quite a few and am very happy will all of them.

Others may have different ideas of course!

Get onto Jim Carroll for a good price.

Jeff

Manuka Jock
12th May 2009, 10:02 PM
David ,
if possible , get one that uses an insert , so that if , and when , you invest in a larger lathe , the chuck will fit that too.
Having said that , get one that suits the lathe you have now.

Jock

orificiam
12th May 2009, 10:03 PM
What Jeff said :aro-u: I've used a Vicmarc for 7 years with no Problems
Cheers Tony.:)

Sawdust Maker
12th May 2009, 10:28 PM
I've a Teknatool SuperNova 2
am very happy with it.
Had it on the Hare & Forbes version of your beast. Now have it on a Nova Lathe - only had to change the insert.

I've noticed that Vermec (http://vermec.tripod.com/PDFs/vermecchuck.pdf) also sell one and it appears to have the added advantage that it will take both the Teknatool and the Vicmarc jaws. The teknatool and vicmarc jaws are not generally interchangeable without an adapter.

hughie
13th May 2009, 10:01 AM
David,

At the end of the day it is probably wiser to go for the brand name chuck. As they will come with an insert to match your current lathe of which can be removed later as you progress to a better one. Also they will be far better made in general, as to which brand, thats mainly a personal choice. I prefer and use Teknatool chucks only because in the beginning I managed to get them at bargain basement prices and now have several. Because the jaws are interchangeable between chucks it makes them more attractive. But in the end most turners get sick of changing jaws and opt for another chuck or chucks.

So the changability of jaws etc is really not that important, maybe handy in the beginning. But I think it might be smarter to look long term and go with what serves you best for now and the future.

As HenryFord said:

If you need a machine to day and dont buy it, tomorrow you will have paid for it and not own it.

Grumpy John
13th May 2009, 10:08 AM
I have one of these (http://www.cws.au.com/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_product_details?category_id=1107146818&product_id=1107452005) chucks and have found it to be excellent value for money. I prefer it to the G3 I also own and the bonus is that it takes the G3 jaws as well :2tsup:.

rsser
13th May 2009, 10:53 AM
If I were to start over with chuck purchases I'd opt for the smaller Vermec.

http://www.vermec.com/id1.html

The big plus is jawset compatibility as Nick mentioned, and Vermec build quality is good. QC on Teknatool gear has been a bit hit and miss lately, and the design of their spigot jaws and 75mm bowl jaws is wacky IMO.

That said you can get the T/tool SN2 for $200 from Jim Carrol and that's pretty good value (http://www.cws.au.com/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_by_category?category_id=1107144841). With Vermec adaptors you can fit Vicmarc 90/100 jaws to it.

So by now David you'll have realised that the chuck is just the beginning and you need to budget for further jaws :-{ From that point of view, the set GJ mentions also looks to be good value.

dj_pnevans
13th May 2009, 09:56 PM
Thanks for all the help.
David

Ed Reiss
14th May 2009, 12:30 PM
dj...I use an original Nova chuck and also have 2 Supernova's.

They meet my expectations and have never let me down. The only issue with them is that to tighten, it's backwards from the other chucks on the market.

Good luck:2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
14th May 2009, 10:41 PM
Which really isn't a problem if they are the only ones you possess :p

rsser
14th May 2009, 10:52 PM
Yeah and a PITA if you do. By def the 2nd system is wrong.

Just one other point: check the jaw travel. Eg the VM90/100 has about 30mm and the SN2 around 20mm IIRC

Mulgabill
15th May 2009, 04:35 PM
Hey dj_pnevans!
All good suggestions above. Avoid the Timbecon TSC-50. for memory (but I could be wrong) it only has one set of jaws and are not interchangeable although they do have a range of inserts.

dj_pnevans
15th May 2009, 09:52 PM
Willy Nelson has loaned me one of his many chucks (nova) so I will give it a go and have some fun with it if all works out wood show look out.
David

Skew ChiDAMN!!
15th May 2009, 10:57 PM
Onya Willy! :2tsup:

bellyup
17th May 2009, 11:22 AM
G'day David,
From a relative newbie, my thoughts echo what Hughie has said.

I have the Nova chuck copy as sold by Carrolls, good quality and value with 4 sets of jaws but I have found that you need to go around the chuck about 4 times and nip the jaws tighter each time ( a bit like tightening the wheel nuts on your car wheels) to get a really secure hold otherwise you may have to duck the odd flying bowl.:o

I only have the one chuck and you really do get tired of constantly changing jaws ( 8 allen key screws out and 8 allen key screws in and make sure the jaw numbers go to the right place) - I know why all the old hands have 3 or more chucks. I will look to get another in the very near future.
Bruce.

Calm
17th May 2009, 01:26 PM
I have 2 SN2 chucks and after 2 jaw changes yesterday i can see a new chuck coming for the STUBBY - i reckon this time the bigger Technitool one - i think it's a "titan" as all the jaws are intechangable with the chucks i already have .

Would like to get a vicmark - love the "Shark Jaws" but the Jaws i already have wont fit. so i think the Titan it will be. As said above you get over changing jaws very quickly.

Cheers

Manuka Jock
17th May 2009, 01:35 PM
I have 2 SN2 chucks and after 2 jaw changes yesterday i can see a new chuck coming for the STUBBY - i reckon this time the bigger Technitool one - i think it's a "titan" as all the jaws are intechangable with the chucks i already have .

Would like to get a vicmark - love the "Shark Jaws" but the Jaws i already have wont fit. so i think the Titan it will be. As said above you get over changing jaws very quickly.

Cheers

If you get the Titan , get the biggest jaws , the Titan Power Grip Jaw set , and the big faceplate ring too .
Saves getting them later .
Might as well test the Stubby out with a giant platter :D

Jim Carroll
17th May 2009, 02:39 PM
David the titan is not available, teknatool keep indicating it will come back but at the moment it is on the never never.

So the option is the VM120 companion (http://www.cws.au.com/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_product_details?category_id=1107146803&product_id=1107452504) with the particular jaws that you want. Build up on both over time

Manuka Jock
17th May 2009, 02:52 PM
David the titan is not available, teknatool keep indicating it will come back but at the moment it is on the never never.

So the option is the VM120 companion (http://www.cws.au.com/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_product_details?category_id=1107146803&product_id=1107452504) with the particular jaws that you want. Build up on both over time

Still none to be had ?

Mine is marked as a SuperNova Deluxe , even tho it has all the specs. of the Titan .
I was sent that 2 years ago , due to the , then , change over from the one to the other .

Have the titans fallen into that same hole as the cast iron stands ? :C

Calm
17th May 2009, 02:55 PM

So what jaws/chuck would you suggest to turn a bowl from a Redgum/cypress/white gum blank 750mm Diameter x 300mm thick.

Dont intend to do a lot (probably hard to get blanks) but are going to do a couple at least.

Maybe look at selling the 2 SN2 's (with jaws) and buy a couple of Vicmarks to change all over

Cheers

Tim the Timber Turner
17th May 2009, 03:01 PM

A Vicmark chuck on a new Stubby?:no: :no::no:

Major conflict there?:oo:

David has better taste than that.:2tsup:

So it looks like he is stuck with a faceplate and screws!!!:)

Cheers

Tim

Calm
17th May 2009, 03:17 PM
A Vicmark chuck on a new Stubby?

Major conflict there?

David has better taste than that.:2tsup:

So it looks like he is stuck with a faceplate and screws!!!:)

Cheers

Tim

Well i bought the best lathe :p:p:p:p:p and if the best chuck happens to be a Vicmark i can grind off any name on it so noone knows it comes from an inferior manufacturer.

Maybe i should talk to Rob about making a chuck good enough to suit a STUBBY:p:p

Tim i think it's time you went to the shed - too much time to think where you are:D:D:D

Cheers

Jim Carroll
17th May 2009, 05:22 PM
David it all depends on how big a foot you want to put on the base of the platter so there is a couple of different dovetail jaws (http://cws.au.com/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_product_details?category_id=1107146803&product_id=1107452506) that would suit.

rsser
17th May 2009, 05:37 PM
David, give some thought to the VM150 too ... their website says it'll take jaws from the VM100 and the VM140 if that's to be believed.

And you needn't sell the SN2s ... with Vermec adaptor plates you can use VM100 jaws on them. So you could kit up with VM jaws - the shark jaws are excellent - and spread them around.

Calm
17th May 2009, 06:00 PM
David, give some thought to the VM150 too ... their website says it'll take jaws from the VM100 and the VM140 if that's to be believed.

And you needn't sell the SN2s ... with Vermec adaptor plates you can use VM100 jaws on them. So you could kit up with VM jaws - the shark jaws are excellent - and spread them around.

Thanks Ern, i just started a new thread (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=96588)to find others thoughts - BTW love the Shark jaws you have. but i need to know about pin jaws, cole jaws and the others i have as well.

Not real keen on adapters gives more room for error and bad alignment causing wobble etc.

Cheers

rsser
17th May 2009, 06:07 PM
I'm quite happy with the adaptors David, and have medium Shark jaws permanently mounted on an SN2. There's actually less movement with them than with my VM100 though there may be jaw slide wear there.

More comments on the new thread.

GPW
18th May 2009, 09:12 AM
If you get the Titan , get the biggest jaws , the Titan Power Grip Jaw set , and the big faceplate ring too .
Saves getting them later .
Might as well test the Stubby out with a giant platter :D

I've got a few nova titan's in stock

Best Regards
Rohan Pye

rsser
18th May 2009, 09:50 AM
Yeah, the 130 mm faceplate ring, the Titan and the T. Powergrips is usually how I mount big stuff.

hughie
18th May 2009, 09:59 AM
As for the best chucks and jaws most likely it will come down to cost. But putting that a side I went for the larger dia SN2 at the time, from an engineeering point of view I prefer to have the larger capacity chuck, not that I turn at the larger end alot. But from the point of view of durability and length of service it should last longer...perhaps :U

Now that Teknatool has dropped the Titan off the list. its gone the way of the 150mm SN2,the Comet and Mercury. I would being looking at the Vicmarc range especially the 120 or 150 for at least one chuck and or the Vermec 120, 150 range.

For me a few burrs here and there on the chuck are not a major problem, annoying perhaps. But as long as the rest of the chuck is up to standard it'll do. I only stick with the same manufacturer for the sake on standardising the my chuck collection and parts etc.

Grumpy John
18th May 2009, 01:36 PM
For me a few burrs here and there on the chuck are not a major problem, annoying perhaps. But as long as the rest of the chuck is up to standard it'll do. I only stick with the same manufacturer for the sake on standardising the my chuck collection and parts etc.

The main point I have with the burrs on the jaws is that if they can't be bothered with properly finishing the parts you can see, it makes me wonder about the finish on the internal workings (the bits you can't see).