PDA

View Full Version : Copy jig

wheelinround
13th May 2009, 05:59 PM
Picked up a new copy jig and some new bits to go with it today at OTGA gave it a test run now this is going to make life easy.

lubbing5cherubs
16th May 2009, 04:01 PM
What do you do with them Ray??
Toni

wheelinround
16th May 2009, 06:13 PM
Copy a pattern

If you look close the shape on the board is for a candle stick

I have to prepare a few for Sue to then do her Barley Twists it quick and they will all be close enough to the same.

Different shapes and patterns can be used

unicorn
6th June 2009, 09:46 PM
Hi, Wheeling, thanks for the offer, but I think our Presidente would have a fit!. There is a woodturning article from him on the latest woodworker (Les Roberts)
Good to keep in touch!
Cheers, Raul

wheelinround
7th June 2009, 02:00 PM
Hi, Wheeling, thanks for the offer, but I think our Presidente would have a fit!. There is a woodturning article from him on the latest woodworker (Les Roberts)
Good to keep in touch!
Cheers, Raul

:? Why would he have a fit

Will have to see if I can get latest Woodworker as I don't buy mag's

unicorn
7th June 2009, 03:39 PM
Hi, Wheeling, the reason is he turns single handed, and we all have trouble trying to emulate him, with our 2 hands!
In any case, I will pass on your offer; I think it will speed copy turning of repeat items, for sure.
Cheers, Raul

wheelinround
7th June 2009, 03:55 PM
Hi, Wheeling, the reason is he turns single handed, and we all have trouble trying to emulate him, with our 2 hands!
In any case, I will pass on your offer; I think it will speed copy turning of repeat items, for sure.
Cheers, Raul

Raul thats better than I can do for sure single handed :o (my grip is the problem)

Ray

hughie
9th June 2009, 12:45 AM
Ray, nice one :2tsup: did you grind those tips your self?

wheelinround
9th June 2009, 10:02 AM
:no: David Laird does them all HSS

unicorn
10th June 2009, 05:03 PM
Hi, Ray, sorry about the delay; I am meeting some of the other members tomorrow at the workshop,I'll pass on the offer.
I am sure we can make up whatever is needed, base, holder, etc; and as you say, it will be of help either to the beginner(like me trying to get 4 turned legs to look the same)!:U, or to someone with problems gripping a tool handle.
Do you have a sketch of the tool holder, or a photo to get the idea?
Cheers, Raul

unicorn
10th June 2009, 05:06 PM
Hi, Ray, I just saw your first post, with all the details in it!:p
That will teach me not to jump the gun!

wheelinround
10th June 2009, 05:11 PM
Hi, Ray, sorry about the delay; I am meeting some of the other members tomorrow at the workshop,I'll pass on the offer.
I am sure we can make up whatever is needed, base, holder, etc; and as you say, it will be of help either to the beginner(like me trying to get 4 turned legs to look the same)!:U, or to someone with problems gripping a tool handle.
Do you have a sketch of the tool holder, or a photo to get the idea?
Cheers, Raul

Raul o problem both your PM's came through with just my message no reply added by you.

Sketches plans dimension's no problem give me a couple of days send me your e-mail to [email protected] and I'll email them. :2tsup:

I'll organise the cutting bits.

Mike Wingate
28th June 2009, 04:15 AM
After some advice on this site in 1999, I bought an orange Copy Turn, by Woodfast. It has been brilliant when i need multiples.

wheelinround
29th June 2009, 10:22 AM
After some advice on this site in 1999, I bought an orange Copy Turn, by Woodfast. It has been brilliant when i need multiples.

Didn't know they make one got a photo

Mike Wingate
1st July 2009, 05:17 AM
Not yet, but I will assemble it on the lathe with it's bed and take a few photos and post. It is really simple and could be used blindfolded when set up. I got my daughters to run copies on it years ago. A bit of sanding after touching up corners with a skew chisel was all it needed. A terrific finish. From lace bobbins to stair newel posts for me.

Mike Wingate
6th July 2009, 12:34 AM
As promised, a couple of pics.

wheelinround
6th July 2009, 08:33 AM
Mike thanks looks a good set up :2tsup:

Mike Wingate
7th July 2009, 08:56 AM
I have a number of different length sub bases, to which the template supports bolt onto. I have cut a variety of "patterns" that fit the template support. The material is minimal length and as vibration free and exhibits less flex on long parts. This has to be one of the easiest ways of turning spheres.

wheelinround
7th July 2009, 09:30 AM
can do captured rings well to :2tsup:

Mike Wingate
7th July 2009, 09:33 AM
I made some babies rattles like that years ago, as well as captive rings on goblet bases.

Edwards
23rd July 2009, 05:25 PM
Didn't know they make one got a photo

Check out their web site as it has some nice photos that might be helpful.
Cheers
Edwards:)

wheelinround
23rd July 2009, 05:58 PM
Check out their web site as it has some nice photos that might be helpful.
Cheers

Have shame I have never seen one at a wood show but the handy fellows we are at OTGA we do like to tinker and see what we can come up with.

Edwards
24th July 2009, 03:28 PM
Have shame I have never seen one at a wood show but the handy fellows we are at OTGA we do like to tinker and see what we can come up with.

Good to see the photos from Mike. They should be helpful.

Cheers

Mike Wingate
24th July 2009, 08:36 PM
With hindsight and a block of cast iron, a copy device like mine is easy to make from scratch.

wheelinround
24th July 2009, 08:44 PM
Mike that cast base is almost like a very small bottle jack I have