PDA

View Full Version : Current WIP

Grumpy John
13th May 2009, 07:23 PM
I started this Silky Oak urn nearly 4 years ago when I first got my lathe, but lost interest in it. Having seen some really nice silky Oak pieces recently I thought I'd resurrect the project. I'm off the Ern's on Friday to try his laser guided deep hollowing system so I can finish the inside (I'll just tell myself that I don't need one :rolleyes:).

105132 105133 105134

I think I'll use this piece of Mallee Root for the top.

Ed Reiss
14th May 2009, 12:37 PM
John, it should look great when finished.

Did those cracks appear 4 yrs ago or just now?...seems that after 4 years it should be bone dry and not checking

You did say urn....planning ahead ? :doh:

Woodwould
14th May 2009, 01:36 PM
Turning the inside of that will make you pucker! :o I like the Mallee Root lid.

Grumpy John
14th May 2009, 01:42 PM
John, it should look great when finished.

Did those cracks appear 4 yrs ago or just now?...seems that after 4 years it should be bone dry and not checking

You did say urn....planning ahead ? :doh:

Ed, the cracks have been there for ages.

Calm
14th May 2009, 01:46 PM
JIM JIM, another order on the way:D:D

Good luck hope it all holds together. What is the use for the urn/ern going to be.

Not planning on an earthly rush for it are you?:o:o:no::D:D:p

Would love to come down and watch but after 3 weeks home work rang and said why havent you been in so i told them i only come in when they ring me - i also explained i have had counselling to get over it. They were disapointed that i didnt have the sh&ts cos i think they have been tryng to punish me but i have enjoyed it:B:B Was actually hoping they wouldnt ring again but aahh well all good things come to an end. So off to Adelaide about 4 pm today.

Cheers

Grumpy John
15th May 2009, 02:48 PM
Laser guided and ready to go....

unfortunately the batteries didn't last long :~ and it was back to more traditional methods.

105313 105314

Sorry Jim, no immediate plans to go laser guided :no:.

TTIT
15th May 2009, 02:55 PM
Laser guided and ready to go....

unfortunately the batteries didn't last long :~ and it was back to more traditional methods.

105313 105314

Sorry Jim, no immediate plans to go laser guided :no:.Aaaaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhhh!!!!:o There's a screw missing from one of your jaws GJ (shhhh - don't tell Ern!!!)

Grumpy John
15th May 2009, 07:08 PM
Aaaaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhhh!!!!:o There's a screw missing from one of your jaws GJ (shhhh - don't tell Ern!!!)

It's not missing................... that's my new balancing system :p:rolleyes::D

rsser
15th May 2009, 08:54 PM
Picked up no. 3 laser pointer this arvo. One that takes AAA batteries. It's sposed to be able to project an arrow but darned if I can see it. Mighta been handy: "push this way, the other way gives you a colander" ;-}

Sorry we didn't get further GJ.

Ed Reiss
15th May 2009, 10:33 PM
unfortunately the batteries didn't last long :~

...so that's why your grumpy :q:D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
15th May 2009, 10:50 PM
Sorry we didn't get further GJ.

Didn't test the form for "neck strength," Ern? :innocent:

munruben
16th May 2009, 11:22 AM
Looks like scary work to me. too delicate for my hands to work on. :oo:

Grumpy John
16th May 2009, 01:34 PM
Not that scary Alan, you've just got to have confidence in yourself, and a bottle of scotch handy :D.

More pictures......
I suppose I should have called this a vase not an urn :doh:.
105385 105386

I'm not happy with the "collar" for want of a better word, it just doesn't look right.... Any suggestions. It will be easy to fix as it's not glued in yet.

105387 105388 105389

rsser
16th May 2009, 02:22 PM
Didn't test the form for "neck strength," Ern? :innocent:

Why do you think GJ's turning a collar for it? :rolleyes:

GJ, I'd suggest a plain bead for it.

NeilS
16th May 2009, 04:16 PM
I'm not happy with the "collar" for want of a better word, it just doesn't look right.... Any suggestions.

Taper the bottom of the collar so that it visually blends/sweeps into the main form. As the two woods are so different in colour you don't need to make much of the transition between the two. The top lip of the collar could be a bit more voluptuous (in keeping with the main form) and then defined with something like a bead or incised lines at the point the lip ends and the collar leads down to the body of the form.

BTW - the main form is right on the money.

Neil

tea lady
16th May 2009, 05:10 PM
:whathesaid: :cool:

Hardenfast
16th May 2009, 06:10 PM
Most interesting thread and project - thanks for the pics. By the way, where did you get that work light?

Wayne

Grumpy John
16th May 2009, 06:20 PM
Most interesting thread and project - thanks for the pics. By the way, where did you get that work light?

Wayne

Thanks for the compliment Wayne. The work light is Erns, I think he bought it at Hare & Forbes.

Grumpy John
16th May 2009, 07:00 PM
Why do you think GJ's turning a collar for it? :rolleyes:

GJ, I'd suggest a plain bead for it.

Taper the bottom of the collar so that it visually blends/sweeps into the main form. As the two woods are so different in colour you don't need to make much of the transition between the two. The top lip of the collar could be a bit more voluptuous (in keeping with the main form) and then defined with something like a bead or incised lines at the point the lip ends and the collar leads down to the body of the form.

BTW - the main form is right on the money.

Neil

Thanks for the suggestions guys, however being a fitter & turner I respond better to pictures. Would either of you have any photos of the forms you are so eloquently describing (I'm not being sarcastic, I'm just a bit thick sometimes :-).
I have managed to find some forms I like whilst trawling the net.

105411 105412 105413

105414 105415 105416

rsser
17th May 2009, 09:19 AM
No 5 in the sequence appeals to me more than the others GJ.

Wayne, the light is in the Carba-tec catalogue. Just be aware that it has a fairly narrow focus.

Grumpy John
18th May 2009, 04:14 PM
How 'bout this?

105543 105544

tea lady
18th May 2009, 08:46 PM
How 'bout this?

105543 105544

Not bad, :think: I'd have a bit of a more definate curve oro maybe a bead on the rim. :shrug: Dat's just me though.:D

NeilS
18th May 2009, 09:28 PM
How 'bout this?

John

The transition of the collar into the body of the form is working nicely now.

Before commenting on the lip, any chance of a slightly downward looking photo. A similar camera angle to photo 4 in previous post would be ideal.

Neil

Ed Reiss
19th May 2009, 12:03 PM
John, that is a very good shape, nicely flowing :2tsup::2tsup:

Check out one of my turning club buddies web site for more ideas:

http://www.woodartforms.com

Grumpy John
19th May 2009, 12:04 PM
John

Before commenting on the lip, any chance of a slightly downward looking photo. A similar camera angle to photo 4 in previous post would be ideal.

Neil

Your wish is my command :D.

105643 105644

NeilS
19th May 2009, 03:53 PM
Your wish is my command :D.

105643 105644

OK... :D ... I can see where you were going with the lip now John. Similar approach to Vessel No 4 in your previous post.

If you look at that example, the inner edge of the lip (throat) is quite fine, which gives a feeling of overall lightness and levitation that suites the piece.

At this stage your collar 'throat' is quite deep/thick giving an overall chunky feel to the piece, despite the graceful form. If it was my piece I would be removing more wood from the underside of the throat, i.e. thin not widen the throat. As the reverse curve leading down into the throat is working quite well I would leave that as it is and achieve the thinning by turning away from the underside, but I wouldn't go as far as a sharp edge, just a fine rounded lip.

On a future piece you might like to have a go at a lip like the last one on this page (http://www.woodartforms.com/6.html) from Ed's friend's website, if you warm to that form and lip combination.

Neil

Grumpy John
19th May 2009, 05:12 PM
Finally........

Now comes the hard part, parting off.

NeilS
20th May 2009, 03:51 PM
Finally........

Perfect finish... :brava:

Now comes the hard part, parting off.

If you haven't glued the collar in place, just remount the piece via the shoulder recess (gently using jaws in expansion mode - too much pressure could break out shoulder) and gently turn away tenon to your preferred foot profile. This is quite challenging to execute as the jaws will not have anywhere near as much hold as when they were in contraction on the base tenon.

If you are not confident, do a parting cut part way through the tenon before removing it from the chuck and complete the cut with a handsaw off the lathe, then remount as above to complete the finishing touches to the foot.

It may also be necessary to turn up some wooden jaws (screwed to metal jaws) to hold the piece securely by the shoulder.

Go slow and gentle now John, you are almost there.

Neil

Grumpy John
22nd May 2009, 01:41 PM
All done, heart in mouth during parting off :sweat:.

Thanks to all for all the support and words of wisdom, SWMBO said that it's going in the good room :oo:.

105853 105854 105855

Calm
22nd May 2009, 02:11 PM
All done, heart in mouth during parting off :sweat:.

Thanks to all for all the support and words of wisdom, SWMBO said that it's going in the good room :oo:.

105853 105854 105855

Just remember to be good she might have plans for future use as an urn if youre not.:D:D

BTW good job

Cheers

Ed Reiss
23rd May 2009, 11:49 AM
Way to go John, knew it would turn out just great:2tsup::2tsup:

Harry72
23rd May 2009, 04:38 PM
Very nice :)

NeilS
24th May 2009, 12:37 PM
:2tsup:

Neil