PDA

View Full Version : snakewood

mkypenturner
14th May 2009, 08:47 PM
have read a few threads on snakewood cracking from heat now and in six months time for no reason at all has anyone tryied to stabilise it to strengthen it and change the makeup of the blank ? haven't got the gear to try it yet but am just throwing it out there to see if anyone has tried or would see if it works ? i can't see why it wouldn't

troy

PenTurner
14th May 2009, 09:00 PM
Troy, with snakewood, heat is the killer, heat while drilling and heat while sanding in particular. Drill slowly and use water to "cool" while drilling or drill a bit at a time over a few days. I in particular would use CA to finish if successful enough to get to that stage. Then wait a few days before assembling, also take care on assembling, too much pressure and "crack".!:- Amos:)

mkypenturner
14th May 2009, 09:04 PM
yeah have read that thanks amos but am wondering if it was stabilised could it prevent cracking ? it should also get a higher gloss due to the resin involved
troy

PenTurner
15th May 2009, 12:15 AM
Troy, usually for stabilization to be effective the wood needs to be fairly open grained so the resein can flow through it and then harden, not sure if that is the case with snakewood, The pens i made with it had a CA finish and were quite glossy. Maybe someone else can chip in their two bobs worth, Amos:)

PenTurner
15th May 2009, 07:27 PM
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=82120&highlight=snakewood
Troy see here for CA finish on Snakewood, Amos:)

dom1971
26th May 2009, 07:49 AM
Hi,

Ca glue works. I always work slowly and incrementally.

Regards,

Dom