PDA

View Full Version : Grease Trap

cqvillas
14th May 2009, 10:11 PM
I heard recently of an old turner that uses grease on the ends of logs or slabs as a sealer to reduce cracking. Has anyone tried this method before & had success and if so how much do you need to apply?

In all my research on this subject, this is the first time that I've heard of this method & I wonder if it's a no no.

Anyway thought I would put it out there for discussion.

Cheers,
Nev

Skew ChiDAMN!!
15th May 2009, 12:58 AM
I've said before, and will say again: anything is better than nothing.

Whether it be a commercial end-grain sealer, paraffin wax, bituminous tar, polystyrene in turps or leftover paint.

It's the first time I've heard of grease :oo: being used, and wouldn't use it myself; I'd imagine it'd play havoc with your finish if you weren't careful... especially if 'twas a silicone grease.

But I can't see any real reason to poo-poo the idea... beyond the inevitable mess. :wink:

Rum Pig
15th May 2009, 08:37 AM
:whs:

hughie
15th May 2009, 11:17 AM
Yup:aro-u: any port in a storm

NeilS
15th May 2009, 01:12 PM
I heard recently of an old turner that uses grease on the ends of logs or slabs as a sealer to reduce cracking.

Hi Nev - is that petroleum grease or fat from a grease trap?

If the latter, then hot fat that will solidify when it cools is worth a try if you have a ready/cheap source of it.

Neil

TTIT
15th May 2009, 02:24 PM
I did once use Lanotec (I think that was the name!) which is basically wool grease. Buggerin' stuff to apply but keeps the air out and the moisture in as good as anything else and makes for a pretty nice buffed finish to boot :2tsup:

gtwilkins
16th May 2009, 07:13 AM
Nev,

I also had an old timer years ago tell me they used to use goose grease on roughed out bowls to slow down the drying and stop cracking.

I have been thinking about starting again as we are over-run with Canada geese as the buggers won't migrate any longer and all the playing fields, golf courses and parks are ankle deep in ca-ca, they really are filthy birds.

Trevor

Ed Reiss
16th May 2009, 12:21 PM
Damn....now we got to take up bear hunting to seal our green woods...this turning thing is getting awfully complicated:doh:

Manuka Jock
16th May 2009, 01:45 PM
Nev,

I also had an old timer years ago tell me they used to use goose grease on roughed out bowls to slow down the drying and stop cracking.

I have been thinking about starting again as we are over-run with Canada geese as the buggers won't migrate any longer and all the playing fields, golf courses and parks are ankle deep in ca-ca, they really are filthy birds.

Trevor

Canada geese are a pest here too . As well as their crap killing the grass , they tear it up by the roots .
The grease sounds like a go , dependant on how it works in with finishing compounds .