PDA

View Full Version : Tool addict's Ci0 addition

jefferson
15th May 2009, 08:31 AM
I was in need of some more cutters for my Ci1, which I use a lot for recesses and final scraping cuts where my other tools don't suit. In looking at the Easy Wood Tool website, I noticed a new tool - the Ci0 with round cutters. For finishing cuts.

Well..... it got the best of me and I invested (again). I tried it out yesterday on the inside of a small redgum enclosed bowl. It sure worked a treat. Previously, I would have used a 12mm scraper for the job with very light cuts, often with mixed results.

But the sheer mass of the Ci0 - and the 360 degree curve - made the task a lot easier and safer.

It's not a tool I'll be using all the time - my HD scrapers will do most of what I need - but it is very handy on convex/ concerve? insides.

BTW - you can't use the Ci1 with the Ci0 cutters. I ordered 10 inserts which should hopefully last a long lifetime.

When I get my photo problem sorted (thanks DJ and GJ), I'll post some pics.

Jeff

Rum Pig
15th May 2009, 08:34 AM
Sounds good I cant wait to see the photos:2tsup:

Cliff Rogers
15th May 2009, 09:34 AM
Also waiting for pics to see how they compare to the ones Vermec has.

TTIT
15th May 2009, 02:39 PM
I dunno :shrug: It's still just a scraper :C so you're still going to get the same finish unless you tilt it to shear scrape which would be really difficult with a square shaft :shrug:

jefferson
15th May 2009, 09:17 PM
I'm just a new hand at this turning stuff, so I may / will stand corrected.

On rock-hard fiddleback redgum, with lots of pick-out, I sometimes find the Ci1 and my scrapers set flat on the tool rest - if sharp I might add - give a reasonably result. Sheer scraping sometimes works much better, though all of my scrapers (except for the Oland tools that Ern made for me) have sqaure base sections. So I see no difference with sheer scraping with either the Ci1 or Ci0. Turn the tool on its edge and rely on feel. What scapers come with the round?

I have tried the Veritas burring tool, but the burr lasts only a few seconds on the hard stuff. It seems much simpler to go back to the grinder and get a fresh edge.

Now I know that a lot of turners are very much against scrapers. All I know is that Raffan uses them extensively, particularly on the inside of little bowls and boxes, which is what I am doing at the moment. Just got to keep the tool sharp.

If anyone can show me how to get a better "off the tool" finish - please tell!

Learning as always, and hoping for some replies.

Jeff

TTIT
15th May 2009, 11:47 PM
...........What scapers come with the round?
...........The Sorby RS200 system I have is a half round shaft. When hollowing you rest it on the flat side for stability but with the teardrop scraper attached you rest it on the round side so you can tilt for shear scraping (at least that's how I use it :shrug: ). I like using the teardrops for shear scraping so much that I also made one that fits on to a 16mm round shaft with an elbow so I can get into closed bowls and such as well.
When I get a few current projects out of the way (= gunna!), I'm going to try and make a "Reverse shear scraper" to cover the sections where shear scraping into the grain doesn't work so well. Will post it up here if it works :B

Skew ChiDAMN!!
15th May 2009, 11:52 PM
When I get a few current projects out of the way (= gunna!), I'm going to try and make a "Reverse shear scraper" to cover the sections where shear scraping into the grain doesn't work so well. Will post it up here if it works :B

I'm already perched on the edge of my chair in expectation... :U

Now I know that a lot of turners are very much against scrapers.

Probably because they don't know how to use them properly.

I know one bloke who ridicules anyone he sees using a scraper... but can't use a bowl gouge properly. He scrapes with it! Brings a smile to my dial every time. :wink:

All I know is that Raffan uses them extensively, particularly on the inside of little bowls and boxes, which is what I am doing at the moment. Just got to keep the tool sharp.

Exactly. For some jobs - and some timbers - scrapers are "the" tool of choice.

NeilS
16th May 2009, 12:27 PM
I'm going to try and make a "Reverse shear scraper" to cover the sections where shear scraping into the grain doesn't work so well. Will post it up here if it works :B

Sounds interesting.

Neil