PDA

View Full Version : solid metal rivets...help

fletty
15th May 2009, 12:21 PM
Hi all, I am restoring a VERY favourite set of laundry tongs and need to rivet the new legs onto the spring steel 'hinge' and I am having a lot of trouble finding any copper or aluminium rivets to do the job. In an earlier post (glen boulton, french cafe chairs), he got steel rivets from Coventry's but my local branch (Minto) advises that they don't carry any solid rivets at all.
I haven't drilled the holes yet so I still have choices of diameter but ideally what I need is 3-4mm diameter, grip length approx 15mm, non ferrous and I also want to invest in the heading tools to form the heads.
I'm in south west Sydney.... any suggestions?
Fletty

wheelinround
15th May 2009, 12:46 PM
In the box in my garage 3/16 by approx 15mm:D

Just Rang Custom Coaches Fletty they no longer have them but have a company name of Tool Fix at Ermington that supply them trying to locate their site address etc

wheelinround
15th May 2009, 01:15 PM
http://www.bylerrivet.com/products/solid-rivets.aspx?cat=41

wheelinround
15th May 2009, 03:55 PM
Blackwoods Smithfield have in stock 5/8 & 3/16 dia x up to 5/8 long

GraemeCook
15th May 2009, 06:17 PM
Hi Fletty

A saddlery or yacht chandlery should have copper rivets and roves.

Cheers

Graeme

bsrlee
15th May 2009, 09:29 PM
Laundry tongs? You must have a mean washing machine.

I have a pound of 1/8" (3.15mm) x 1/4" (6.35mm) round head brass rivets - a by product of a couple of months spent many years ago touring the USA buying tools & visiting museums among other things. PM if a few would do.

Somewhere in my old shed I have some rivet sets in 1/8, 3/16 & 1/4, but they will be a pain to find & I don't want to part with sets.

texx
15th May 2009, 09:48 PM
i was going to say ( but got beaten to it ) saddlery , also brake repair places

fletty
16th May 2009, 11:30 AM
Thankyou gentlemen, I now have many leads to follow. BSR, you must be a hoot to go on holidays with!
Fletty