PDA

View Full Version : HELP The STUBBY STOPPED

Calm
16th May 2009, 04:47 PM
:(:((:C:C:C:CYep thats right the STUBBY stopped.:C:C:C:C:((:oo:

I was turning blanks round and waxing them and changed from the face plate to the chuck and i heard the whine of the VFD stop. and thats right it wouldnt start again

So PLEASE realise this is a very very very sensative thing so no bullsh*t or smart remarks are required.

I tried the drill in the extension lead and it works fine.

HELP RSSER or TTIT is there a reset switch on these things or what.

Thanks in advance

DJ’s Timber
16th May 2009, 04:53 PM
You haven't got the spindle lock on?

watson
16th May 2009, 04:55 PM
That's a GLOOM!
No idea about reset...but just adding an "Oh My God" thought.

Manuka Jock
16th May 2009, 04:55 PM
David .
The manuel that I googled said this.

"Emergency mushroom stop switch Item#4 cuts all power to lathe and must be purposely reset by twisting knob once hazard is corrected.
DO NOT use this switch for normal Stop/Start "

Does that make sense to you ?

Calm
16th May 2009, 04:57 PM
Done that before but not this time.

The VFD has stopped the whine it has so i assume the power is not getting there.

I wonder if there is a reset on the Electrics somewhere.

Yep i know read the manual

Thabks for trying DJ.

weisyboy
16th May 2009, 04:58 PM
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!:o

Calm
16th May 2009, 05:01 PM
David .
The manuel that I googled said this.

"Emergency mushroom stop switch Item#4 cuts all power to lathe and must be purposely reset by twisting knob once hazard is corrected.
DO NOT use this switch for normal Stop/Start "

Does that make sense to you ?

You are a bloddy life saver Jock - never touched it before but must have bumped it with my leg whit putting the chuck on.

Goes now:doh::D:D:D :brava:yippy::clap3::yippee:

Thanks everyone - make mental note check kill switch next time you dckhed

tea lady
16th May 2009, 05:04 PM
:C lucky! :D

watson
16th May 2009, 05:07 PM
Just got to say how good this place is.
In less than 20 minutes David's problem.....including platitudes......has been fixed.

Groggy
16th May 2009, 05:21 PM
Yeah well, wouldn't have happened with a VL300 :D

Do try to stay err, well, 'calm', next time.

Good to see it turnin' again, we'd never have heard the end of it :doh:.

Manuka Jock
16th May 2009, 05:38 PM
You are a bloddy life saver Jock - never touched it before but must have bumped it with my leg whit putting the chuck on.

Goes now:doh::D:D:D :brava:yippy::clap3::yippee:

Thanks everyone - make mental note check kill switch next time you dckhed

No worries cobber :2tsup:

wheelinround
16th May 2009, 06:08 PM
Calm a quick fix is to cut your leg off that knocked it :;

Grumpy John
16th May 2009, 07:16 PM
David, I bet your face is as red as the button you accidently bumped :D.

munruben
16th May 2009, 07:18 PM
Phew!:o, had me worried there for a tick. Thanks goodness for the forumiites:2tsup:

dai sensei
16th May 2009, 07:43 PM
...So PLEASE realise this is a very very very sensative thing so no bullsh*t or smart remarks are required....

So now the problem is solved, the critical moment over, we can all get stuck in eh :U:U

Well done Jock

jefferson
16th May 2009, 07:43 PM
:(:((:C:C:C:CYep thats right the STUBBY stopped.:C:C:C:C:((:oo:

I was turning blanks round and waxing them and changed from the face plate to the chuck and i heard the whine of the VFD stop. and thats right it wouldnt start again

So PLEASE realise this is a very very very sensative thing so no bullsh*t or smart remarks are required.

I tried the drill in the extension lead and it works fine.

HELP RSSER or TTIT is there a reset switch on these things or what.

Thanks in advance

No smart ar#e replies! You gotta be kidding David, you shoulda bought a Vicmarc!

Jeff

Skew ChiDAMN!!
16th May 2009, 07:49 PM
:rotfl:

Wish I'd been there... :p:D

Ad de Crom
16th May 2009, 08:00 PM
Your lathe had just a bad temper that day :)
Luckely it runs again after thinking over what he did to such a nice guy.
Ad:2tsup:

efgee88
16th May 2009, 10:12 PM
Aah! My heart bled . . . . . just a little.

and now I'm just enjoying the comments coming thick and fast.

FrankG

Ed Reiss
16th May 2009, 11:03 PM
...would have thought "rebooting" the electronic beast would have come to mind as the first thing to try:rolleyes::D

Calm
17th May 2009, 08:58 AM
Thanks yep it was a tad embarrassing - but probably not the first time - as to reboot. Yep turned everything off unplugged power, tested lead reconnected everything just never thought to check the "emergency stop" switch was released. As i said i never use it so it never occured to me that it could be off, also didnt realise it killed the VFD just thought it killed the motor.:-:-:B:B

As for Jeff i didnt really think that line would have any effect. Groggy just ignored it. - it wouldnt if the boot was on the other foot, what was that song - "never let a chance go by" - who sung that GJ.

Having only worked thursday night /friday in the last 3 weeks i was getting used to being home but some "fool" has me going to Barnawatha tonight (leave Melb about 9pm) for a full week - must think i want to work or something - I still say work is overrated.:B:q

Cheers all.:2tsup:

rsser
17th May 2009, 09:23 AM
Ah, the old SSDS .... Sudden Stubby Death Syndrome :wink:

The whine you mentioned David is prob the inverter ... so no whine, no power to the motor.

jefferson
17th May 2009, 09:45 AM
Having only worked thursday night /friday in the last 3 weeks i was getting used to being home but some "fool" has me going to Barnawatha tonight (leave Melb about 9pm) for a full week - must think i want to work or something - I still say work is overrated.:B:q

If you find some time David, drop in. Barnie isn't too far from here.

Jeff

Calm
17th May 2009, 09:49 AM
If you find some time David, drop in. Barnie isn't too far from here.

Jeff

Will get there about midnight tonightr with a 7 am timeslot to unload - i think then maybe back to Melb to load for Adelaide (probably 2 of them to finish the week) so probably wont get the chance this time but you never know

Cheers.

Ozkaban
17th May 2009, 10:53 AM
Is this the "Now coming back down to earth" from your avatar? :D:D:D

Very glad to hear it's up and running again. Could you imagine the effort required to "Just pop it back into the shop for us to take a look"???

Cheers,
Dave

Groggy
17th May 2009, 11:21 AM
As for Jeff i didnt really think that line would have any effect. Groggy just ignored it. - it wouldnt if the boot was on the other foot, what was that song - "never let a chance go by" - who sung that GJ. To be fair, I'm pretty sure everyone left you alone until the fix was found as it is not fair to kick a man while he is down. After you find the solution though, well, that is a different kettle of fish. :wink:

Calm
17th May 2009, 01:31 PM
To be fair, I'm pretty sure everyone left you alone until the fix was found as it is not fair to kick a man while he is down. After you find the solution though, well, that is a different kettle of fish. :wink:

Thanks Greg you are a real gentleman - all heart:2tsup::2tsup:

As for moving it - well if someone held up the front of my 8 x 5 trailer (so the tailgate was on the ground) i reckon i could lift/slide/walk it in the back (headstock end first) and then slide it up on my own - Would get the heart pumping but i reckon i could do it. :; I can actually lift either end on its own.

Cheers

Groggy
17th May 2009, 02:16 PM
It would be great to have a block and tackle in the shed to move heavy stuff around; or a crane like DJ,s, then you could move the shed too! :U I shudder to think how I am going to move the 400kg lathe over to the window :think:.

rsser
17th May 2009, 05:39 PM
Cover the floor with ball bearings Groggy ;-}

Skew ChiDAMN!!
17th May 2009, 05:41 PM
Invite Calm over. :U

Groggy
17th May 2009, 06:30 PM
Invite Calm over. :UHe has his own 400kg beast to look after.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
17th May 2009, 07:18 PM
That's OK. He could bring it with him. :p

Grumpy John
17th May 2009, 07:34 PM
"never let a chance go by" - who sung that GJ.

Climie_Fisher (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climie_Fisher)