PDA

View Full Version : Gloat - power hacksaw

jmk89
16th May 2009, 06:10 PM
A lesson for all eBayers - I bought a power hacksaw for $110. I was a bit worried that it was so cheap ($250 or more is the ruling price) because the picture made it look pretty tatty.

I picked her up today and the seller and I cleaned it up with some degreaser. When I got her home I used the water pressure cleaner to shift some more cr@p.

Here she is. I will let you know how she goes when plugged in.

glen boulton
16th May 2009, 06:53 PM
spewin
thats exactly what i'm after...
i have about 10 "I" beams i need to cut..250x 200 x 15mm
so i have been looking out for one
lucky you

pipeclay
16th May 2009, 06:58 PM
I have similar if not the same,can you tell me what is hanging of the back of the saw (it looks like a counter weight)
Also when you get it up and running,if the coolant works would you mind if I had a look to see how it is set up.

jmk89
16th May 2009, 07:08 PM
I have similar if not the same,can you tell me what is hanging of the back of the saw (it looks like a counter weight).
Yep,it's a counterweight

Also when you get it up and running,if the coolant works would you mind if I had a look to see how it is set up.

Certainly, but the seller says he never used it so I am not sure there is much hope

Big Shed
16th May 2009, 07:11 PM
Seems like a great buy Jeremy:2tsup:

jmk89
16th May 2009, 07:13 PM
Seems like a great buy Jeremy:2tsup:

Will be if it works!:D
Fingers crossed

pipeclay
16th May 2009, 09:39 PM
Did you happen to ask the seller what the purpose of the counterweight was for.

Rossluck
16th May 2009, 09:58 PM
Did you happen to ask the seller what the purpose of the counterweight was for.

To adjust the weight on the blade (like how much pressure you put on a knife when cutting tomatoes compared to when you're cutting potatoes:).

Good buy. :2tsup:

Woodlee
16th May 2009, 10:11 PM
Looks like a good one .Bit of tlc and and it will last you for years to come.
The part which wears the most in these saws are the dashpot piston and seals , they lift the blade on the return stroke so it doesn't drag the teeth of the blade backwards.
Not all saws had this arrangement ,but yours looks to have some kind of hydraulic or mechanical lift for the blade..
Id take a guess and say the counterweight is a user added thingy ,maybe because the bits that regulate the weight on the blade are worn and not functioning properly .

Mine was in pretty grotty condition when I got it , but every thing was there , just took a bit of time to get it back to working condition.
Still not running yet ,not far off though , need to do some work with motor and drive pulley and then set up the motor on the rear mount.Next job on the list .

Trying to cut solid steel bar for machining with a friction saw has knobs on it.

Kev.

pipeclay
16th May 2009, 10:15 PM
To adjust the weight on the blade (like how much pressure you put on a knife when cutting tomatoes compared to when you're cutting potatoes:).

Good buy. :2tsup:
If you say so but if you take a better look the weight is at the rear,these saws allready have considerable weight in the cutting arm.

wheelinround
16th May 2009, 10:23 PM
good score :2tsup::2tsup:

wheelinround
16th May 2009, 10:25 PM
spewin
thats exactly what i'm after...
i have about 10 "I" beams i need to cut..250x 200 x 15mm
so i have been looking out for one
lucky you

Oxy torch

glen boulton
16th May 2009, 10:28 PM
hey pipe clay
i think rossluck meant that the weight is on its counter side. in other words it takes some of the balance off the blade because the cutting arm is so damn heavy, so it is not cutting so hard. different types of steel cut better with different blade weight.
thats my take on it anyway
glen

glen boulton
16th May 2009, 10:33 PM
hey wheeling
i dont want to oxy as all the work is seen. i am recycling the steel from another job that we pulled down. i will probably buy a lay over bandsaw as it has so many other uses and is a little faster. just the $2000 is a bit to jump over for a hand full of cuts. i do have a gooseneck trailer to start soon so i will use it lots on that.
glen

wheelinround
16th May 2009, 10:38 PM
hey wheeling
i dont want to oxy as all the work is seen. i am recycling the steel from another job that we pulled down. i will probably buy a lay over bandsaw as it has so many other uses and is a little faster. just the $2000 is a bit to jump over for a hand full of cuts. i do have a gooseneck trailer to start soon so i will use it lots on that.
glen

Be a slow process Glen but looks do count :2tsup:

Rossluck
17th May 2009, 08:36 AM
If you say so but if you take a better look the weight is at the rear,these saws allready have considerable weight in the cutting arm.

What I'm suggesting is that the counterweight is an adjustable component. The one on this hacksaw can be removed and a heavier or lighter one used. Mine has a sliding weight.

The idea is to adjust the weight on the blade depending on the hardness of the steel. High carbon steels would require a lighter, slower cut, and bright steel you can hook into. If you go too hard at high carbon steels you'll overheat and start destroying the teeth on the blade.

In practice we mainly ignore it. :D

jmk89
17th May 2009, 08:47 AM
What I'm suggesting is that the counterweight is an adjustable component. The one on this hacksaw can be removed and a heavier or lighter one used. Mine has a sliding weight.

The idea is to adjust the weight on the blade depending on the hardness of the steel. High carbon steels would require a lighter, slower cut, and bright steel you can hook into. If you go too hard at high carbon steels you'll overheat and start destroying the teeth on the blade.

In practice we mainly ignore it. :D

To confirm that view, the counteweight on mine has three elements so you can have 3, 2, 1 or 0 - probably more adjustment than most would use!

jmk89
17th May 2009, 02:49 PM
OK, here's a report.

This machine cuts like a champion. It even has an auto-off switch. You can leave the little beast to cut a decent piece and do another job.:2tsup:

30mm RHS with 3mm walls was too easy! So I fed it a piece of 50mm dia rod in mild steel. Took about 10 minutes - but it was dead straight and much easier than using a hand hacksaw!

As for the pump, it works too. A belt drive works a small pump attached to the reservoir and drops a small squiret out of the directing nozzle each stroke. The liquid drops into the drain channel and runs back to the reservoir. So if pipeclay wants pictures, I'm happy to add them and also happy for him to come and look, if needed to get his up and working.

I am a very happy camper.:D