PDA

View Full Version : Plinth and Colourbon fencing query

Melbournechris
17th May 2009, 11:29 AM
Hi there friends....

I am about to start on a backyard project.

Basically I am after a couple of hints/tips with the following:

1) Where in Melbourne can I get GOOD quality, straight, treated pine plinth..around 5 metres each length? Bunnings want $8.60 for 5.4m

2) What is the best "screw" to put the plinth against the colourbond fencing for a retaining wall? I believe the hex self drilling? I am unsure what they are called.

It is all new to me and I am ready to learn...

Thanks so much,

Chris

TermiMonster
17th May 2009, 12:43 PM
1) Where in Melbourne can I get GOOD quality, straight, treated pine plinth..around 5 metres each length? Bunnings want $8.60 for 5.4m

Chris
That price will be hard to beat, that's cheap. Where in Melbourne are you?
TM

Melbournechris
17th May 2009, 01:18 PM
I am north of Melbourne.....Epping way.

Just found this site:
www.atpine.com.au

Looks good with the prices.

Chris

Al B
17th May 2009, 04:19 PM
Chris
I have found ATP have a pretty good range of timber products, and the guys there very helpful. ATP are not to far away from where you live which is a bonus. The screws are called "Tec Screws" ATP should also sell them there but it always pays to shop around.

Melbournechris
17th May 2009, 06:31 PM
Thanks so much Al...

You were very helpful,

Chris

Bleedin Thumb
18th May 2009, 03:35 PM

Plinth? I think that you have the wrong term. are you after treated pine surround? otherwise known as lattice frame? has a squared U shape? If so Bunnings price seems OK to me

weisyboy
18th May 2009, 08:14 PM
what exactly is a plinth?

mic-d
18th May 2009, 08:22 PM
Timber section at the bottom of fences, often sleepers or that sized material is called a plinth. Used to fill gaps where stepped fences run down a slope or , placed there for design style or used to retain a bit of fill.

Cheers
Michael

here's (http://www.lifetimepine.com.au/fencing.html)an example
and one more (http://www.cvgf.com.au/index.php?pr=Picture_Gallery&curPhoto=1&curAlbum=BHP%20Bluescope%20Colorbond)