PDA

View Full Version : before I pulled the lathe apart

bowl-basher
17th May 2009, 06:51 PM
Before I started on what I thought was a minor bit of maintance:gaah:
(See previous post)
I managed to get this P/P bowl finished The timber is a red gum I know it don't look that way in the pics but it is much redder(new word) than the photos
:?one day I will learn how to control the camera
This wood is from a stash I got from my brother's farm at Bodalla on the south coast the trees were loged about 40 years ago and I am cutting slabs of the standing stumps some are 1-1.5 meters high and up to 800 in dia.
Bowl-basher

Skew ChiDAMN!!
17th May 2009, 07:07 PM
Mmmm... it looks good. Not a form I'd choose but it does show the grain very, very nicely. Good finish, too!

one day I will learn how to control the camera

Don't hold your breath over it, though. I've been saying the same thing for years now...

Ad de Crom
17th May 2009, 08:00 PM
Graham, I like the upperpart of the potpourri bowl, In my humble opinion without the foot it would be better. But it's the choice you made, to make it that way, and I respect that. Lovely wood. Don't worry about the pictures, they are for me very good.
Cheers. Ad :2tsup:

rsser
18th May 2009, 12:13 PM
(I've bitten the bullet and got a colorimeter for the monitor. Course while that helps control the translation of colour spaces among my gear it'll do nothing for how my pics are represented on other folks' monitors.)

Ed Reiss
18th May 2009, 12:31 PM
I agree with Ad's assessment...lose the foot for a better overall flow.:U

Rum Pig
18th May 2009, 01:51 PM
Nice timber:2tsup:

I will have to agree with the mob, it would look better without the foot IMHO

jefferson
18th May 2009, 02:09 PM
Nice piece of redgum alright, I bet it weighs a ton!

Jeff

Skew ChiDAMN!!
18th May 2009, 06:36 PM
I wouldn't lose the foot. :no:

But I'd thin it down, removing that bottom cove. I reckon leaving just the top part of the foot would look less.. "chunky" while still keeping it stable on a bench.

munruben
18th May 2009, 07:57 PM
To each his own, I rather like it actually. :2tsup:

bowl-basher
18th May 2009, 09:15 PM
I wouldn't lose the foot. :no:

But I'd thin it down, removing that bottom cove. I reckon leaving just the top part of the foot would look less.. "chunky" while still keeping it stable on a bench.

Yo but I think you are right I looked at the bowl with it blanked as per your sketch and I agree......Now all I need to do is get the lathe working:~:~
thanks
Bowl-Basher

Paul39
19th May 2009, 10:27 AM
I agree with Skew in # 8.

Ed Reiss
19th May 2009, 12:07 PM
I agree with Skew in # 8.

...oh,sure listen to the guy that lives in a cardboard box along side the road:doh::q:o:D:D:D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
19th May 2009, 01:00 PM
Ooer! There's nothing wrong with your memory! :D

Sawdust Maker
19th May 2009, 01:18 PM
...oh,sure listen to the guy that lives in a cardboard box along side the road:doh::q:o:D:D:D

But it was a cardboard box with running electricity :D

Nice timber BB - I might have to come over and see if you have got any spare :rolleyes: where do you live again?

I have to agree, I'm not a big fan of the foot either. Skew's idea seems to work :2tsup:

bowl-basher
19th May 2009, 04:54 PM

Nice timber BB - I might have to come over and see if you have got any spare :rolleyes: where do you live again?

Will be going down to Bodalla again in June my bigest problem is cutting bowl blanks from the slabs. My "bunnies" band saw is not up to the task and my turning club get a bit unhappy with large slabs of very hard dry red gum:~:~.... not to mention the iron bark that I also collect from there going on there nice new band saw
Regards
Bowl-Basher

Ed Reiss
21st May 2009, 11:58 AM

I have to agree, I'm not a big fan of the foot either. Skew's idea seems to work :2tsup:

...of course it had electric, how else could he post on these forums:doh:

Manuka Jock
21st May 2009, 12:04 PM
...of course it had electric, how else could he post on these forums:doh:

by running a long lead from the neighbors shed .... :rolleyes: