PDA

View Full Version : buying salvage rights in queensland

felixpower
18th May 2009, 12:51 PM
has any one bought salvage rights from queensland gov or even sawmill logs im after an idea on cost. Also what department do i talk to:?:?:?

SilentButDeadly
18th May 2009, 02:42 PM
Sawmill should be able to quote you on supply of whole logs. Otherwise talk to the Forestry group within QLD DPI http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/cps/rde/dpi/hs.xsl/26_181_ENA_HTML.htm

Sigidi
18th May 2009, 08:06 PM
Dunno, But I'd be interested in finding out...

Ironwood
19th May 2009, 11:12 AM
I used to have a permit to salvage fallen timber on a minesite that I worked at 5-10 years ago.
DPI/forestry granted it to me, I had to have letters from the company that held the mining lease to say they didnt object, and the area's marked on a map that I was able to access. I had to re-apply every year, and the last few years I did it, I also needed written approval from the Indidginess/traditional owners as well.

There was a lot of rigmorole with safety standards to be met etc.
They would only allow me about 5 cubic meters a year to be still classed as a hobby woodworker.

I had to pay about $20 a cubic meter in royalties to the government. Itemized records were to be kept of each log.

Things may have changed by now, as it was getting harder to get the permit each year back then. Probably why there was a few guys just going out and poaching the logs.

I used to work 4 on 4 off, for the mining company, and do a bit of milling on my days off, the 5 cube a year, plus a few logs I used to buy here and there, plus what I could get out of the green dump, has given me a pretty good supply of timber

felixpower
19th May 2009, 01:07 PM
under the new guidline one does not have to keep trake off each log as :?far as i no

Exador
19th May 2009, 04:45 PM
What new guideline?