PDA

View Full Version : railway spikes

weisyboy
18th May 2009, 08:29 PM
where can i get railway spikes?

can i still walk along the lines out round warwick and pick them up by the hundred like i used to or have they been cleaned up?

i want heaps as many as i can get.

any help apreciated.

Chesand
19th May 2009, 07:51 AM
I know it is a long way from you but when I was at the Restorers Barn in Castlemaine, Vic, a month or so ago they had a bin full of them at $2-00 each

Durdge39
19th May 2009, 08:20 AM
Sorry I cant help with sourcing any for you. But do you mind if we ask what you're going to make out of them? o.o?

RedShirtGuy
19th May 2009, 10:28 AM
Try a scrap/second hand metal yard.

I went to my local a few days ago to get some other small pieces and they quite literally had two or three piles of spikes and plates 4mt high in their "junk" section. (Usually that means it's rubbish that's getting sent away).

Granted, that was a probably not a common thing as I know they've been redoing a state-wide major line down here and it looked like all the pieces had been dropped off at once. But they've definately been there at other times too, just not in such a huge quantity.

journeyman Mick
19th May 2009, 10:42 AM
..........can i still walk along the lines ........

Legally speaking you cant come within 3m of the lines in Qld without a trackside induction ticket. Of course, if you approach QR and ask to do an induction and tell them what you want it for..................

Mick:doh:

weisyboy
19th May 2009, 06:58 PM
i dont give a #### about whether im alowed to or not. are there still heaps there?

i use them for coat racks, hat racks, horse gear hangers and many other things. and i have only 5 left.

Geoff Dean
19th May 2009, 07:30 PM
So, are you going to trespass on railway land and then steal the spikes? :rolleyes:

mic-d
19th May 2009, 07:33 PM
I think Weisy means to access decommissioned lines where the rail has been ripped up. It'd be handy to know Weisy.

Cheers
Michael

Geoff Dean
19th May 2009, 07:35 PM
So, does that make it OK to trespass and steal?

mic-d
19th May 2009, 07:38 PM
So, does that make it OK to trespass and steal?

I made a supposition, not a judgement, I'll leave that up to people like you.:D

Cheers
Michael

weisyboy
19th May 2009, 07:58 PM
it nobodys problem but mine how legal it is. i am just cleaning up the litter left by teh railway workers.

when u find a coin on teh ground do you hand it in to the nearest shop/house?

as kids in clifton we used to walk home along a railway line it was littered with old spikes that had rattled lose and been replaced. we used to collect tehm and sell them for pocket money.

al i wantto know is are the lines still litterd with spikes or dothey collect them now?

Geoff Dean
19th May 2009, 08:06 PM
i am just cleaning up the litter left by teh railway workers.

Call it what you like, theft is still theft.

terry arnold
19th May 2009, 08:29 PM
We all need to remember it is only stealing if you get caught.
good luck on finding what your looking for.

Cheers Terry

weisyboy
19th May 2009, 08:35 PM
aint that the truth.:2tsup:

journeyman Mick
19th May 2009, 08:50 PM
i dont give a #### about whether im alowed to or not..........

Just thought I'd give you a heads up, there's fines involved.

Mick

weisyboy
19th May 2009, 08:58 PM
yer no problems mate.

Geoff Dean
19th May 2009, 09:16 PM
We all need to remember it is only stealing if you get caught.
good luck on finding what your looking for.

Cheers Terry

Great attitude, hope no-one ever comes into your house or shed, takes what they want, and doesn't get caught. :((

Brisruss
19th May 2009, 09:18 PM
Carl,
Have you tried QR. Ring their stores section and see if they have any going to scrap. They might be able to tell you how to get hold of some. Worth a phone call.

Cheers,
Russ

Pheonix
19th May 2009, 09:24 PM
As JC once said "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone",didn't get any takers from what I read:D

mic-d
19th May 2009, 09:34 PM
As JC once said "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone",didn't get any takers from what I read:D

You have a fantastic memory, JC hasn't posted on here for some time:)

Cheers
Michael

Ashore
19th May 2009, 10:05 PM
If your going to quote from the bible why not start from the old testerment , with something like the ten comandments , something most of our laws are based on .
There's a "thou shalt not steal" in there , or do you just select random quotes to suit your arguement .
Now wheres my rock :rolleyes:

mic-d
19th May 2009, 10:09 PM
Weisy, if you get some, can you supply three...? sharpened please...:wink:

Cheers
Michael

weisyboy
19th May 2009, 10:32 PM
you got some vampires to kill

mic-d
19th May 2009, 10:37 PM
you got some vampires to kill

:doh:
Here's a hint:D

YouTube - Monty Python - Life of Brian

Cheers
Michael

Geoff Dean
20th May 2009, 08:00 AM

And as the victim of a break and enter, and losing about $10,000 worth of my possessions, I find theft abhorrent, and anyone who commits it, or justifies it, is just a low life, in my opinion. :((

silentC
20th May 2009, 09:37 AM
Let him go, Geoff. He might get that Darwin award yet :)

Geoff Dean
20th May 2009, 10:17 AM
Let him go, Geoff. He might get that Darwin award yet :)

I should, it is just that I can't abide thieves.

corbs
20th May 2009, 10:21 AM
Looks like there are a few precious people in here. Trying to equate picking up old railway spikes sitting on railway lines with a break and enter is a bit of a stretch. Carl has been told that its not above board and if caught could face fines but get off the moral high horses and calm down a little team. Carl if you were down my way I could point you in the direction of a disused railway line which still has thousands of railway spikes laying around everywhere. Hope you find what you're looking for:2tsup:

Thought I would add, that I have also been the victim of a pretty serious break and enter also.

weisyboy
20th May 2009, 10:25 AM
once teh rain stops i might go for a drive. i know of a few abandond railway lines.

Geoff Dean
20th May 2009, 10:28 AM
Looks like there are a few precious people in here. Trying to equate picking up old railway spikes sitting on railway lines with a break and enter is a bit of a stretch. Carl has been told that its not above board and if caught could face fines but get off the moral high horses and calm down a little team. Carl if you were down my way I could point you in the direction of a disused railway line which still has thousands of railway spikes laying around everywhere. Hope you find what you're looking for:2tsup:

Thought I would add, that I have also been the victim of a pretty serious break and enter also.

If you're comfortable with thieves, especially after being the victim, then good on you. Whatever floats you boat.

I don't appreciate being called precious for pointing out that STEALING IS BREAKING THE LAW.

Theft is theft, whatever the value of the item that is stolen.

mic-d
20th May 2009, 10:58 AM
If you're comfortable with thieves, especially after being the victim, then good on you. Whatever floats you boat.

I don't appreciate being called precious for pointing out that STEALING IS BREAKING THE LAW.

Theft is theft, whatever the value of the item that is stolen.

Geoff, you made your point well, and truly, on the first page. The thieves who stole from you no doubt can't even remember that instance, Weisy will do what he will whether good or ill, so where does that leave you, the only one angry over the crime against you, the only one angry over a post on the internet that may or may not lead to a 'crime'. Is that a good place to be?

Cheers
Michael

Darce
20th May 2009, 11:03 AM
Where I work, if your valuable possessions are left unsecured it is considered that you are inciting theft and may be charged accordingly.

Railway spikes become dislodged through movement of the timbers. They get thrown from the sleeper by passing trains and the work crews come though and replace the spikes with new ones. Why? Not being a rail crew member, I have no idea why they don't use the dislodged ones - perhaps because they are of no use?. Either way, they abandon the thrown spikes.

Being abandoned, they are therefore free for the taking.

The fines you're subject to are not for theft, they are for trespassing on railway land.

Rest at ease though Geoff, you can still revile the man - the bible reckons you shall not trespass either.

Oops, I forgot. The fourth commandment reckons you shouldn't revile your neighbours... where do you guys live again?

seanz
20th May 2009, 11:07 AM
Try a scrap/second hand metal yard.

Second that.

While we should all commend weisyboy on his 'guerilla recycling tactics' it is worth pointing out (again)........it's not a safe practice and it's not legal.
Somebody will have the contract to recycle the scrap from the linework and they may not look kindly on pilfering.
But they'll probably be happy to sell you a whole heap of old spikes.

That's if they still use spikes where you are.......modern concrete rail sleepers use a 'clip'.

silentC
20th May 2009, 11:10 AM
The fines you're subject to are not for theft, they are for trespassing on railway land.
How do you know that?

silentC
20th May 2009, 11:11 AM
it's not a safe practice
That's a red flag to a bull for our boy Weisy...

Geoff Dean
20th May 2009, 11:17 AM
As everyone seems to be quoting from the bible, I'll add my own quote, though not from the bible.

If you lay down with dogs, you will wake up with fleas.

Take that however you wish.

seanz
20th May 2009, 11:25 AM
That's a red flag to a bull for our boy Weisy...

No red flags near the traintrack either.....they're for authorized personnel only.
:wink:

Jerryj
20th May 2009, 11:56 AM
Weisyboy could you get me some as well

Cheers Jerry

Woodwould
20th May 2009, 12:18 PM
This is hilarious... sanctimonious protest, religious fervour, aiding and abetting, receiving stolen goods and who knows what else!

I'll have to try and remember this thread the next time weisyboy posts in the wanted/for sale section. :o

Jochicho
20th May 2009, 12:19 PM
Hi all,

Regarding spikes - I may be able to source some in Sydney - within an hour I will be going to a site that is getting rid of sleepers - they are contracted to Railcorp in NSW to renew and maintain lines. I will ask if they have spikes available while I am there.

If anyone is interested in any sleepers, let me know and I will see how many are available. These will be almost at zero cost also!!!!!!!!!!!

I have camera and tape measure at the ready as these are monster sleepers also - not the regular 2400mm.

I will lodge a new post with details or otherwise PM me if anyone interested!

weisyboy
20th May 2009, 12:40 PM
so who wants to put there name down for some spikes:U.

in these hard economic times even us not for profit master theves need supporting.

silentC
20th May 2009, 12:43 PM
Don't forget to wear your day-glo vest.

When are you going? I'll keep an eye on the news headlines :D

weisyboy
20th May 2009, 01:03 PM
"man killed on not so abandond line"

once teh rain stops and teh creeks go down i will be able to get out.

silentC
20th May 2009, 01:12 PM
When I was a young un, I decided to ride my pushy across an abandoned railway bridge. Two weeks later, I was riding my bike down near the same bridge and I saw a freight train on it. Turns out it wasn't as abandoned as I thought.

Pheonix
20th May 2009, 08:04 PM
I've got loads of copper wire too!:q

mic-d
20th May 2009, 08:37 PM
I've got loads of copper wire too!:q
Need a bit more attention do we?:p:)

Cheers
Michael

Scribbly Gum
20th May 2009, 08:54 PM
Let he who is without sin cast the first spike........

:no:

jmk89
20th May 2009, 09:13 PM
Time to spike his drink, I think...