PDA

View Full Version : First Turnings

derekh
18th May 2009, 08:30 PM
Thought I would post pictures of my first real turnings using the pole lathe.

Two legs made from Blue Quandong (Elaeocarpis grandis) and a Honey Drizzler made from Bloodwood.

I'll do another leg and then make a stool.

tea lady
18th May 2009, 08:48 PM
:2tsup: And have a honey sandwich? :D

derekh
18th May 2009, 09:12 PM
haha, I actually had a honey sandwich to try it out :)

Here's a picture of the lathe also.

DsArt
16th June 2009, 08:25 AM
the turnins are a credit to you ,:o done on a pole lathe:o .I`m not up there on lathes but is that a repro of a foot worked old style one,that in itself is an amazing project, top marks, well worth the honey sanga:cool::2tsup::2tsup::U

prozac
24th June 2009, 01:23 AM
Good effort derek. Please, no need to post a photo of your stool :;

derekh
2nd August 2009, 09:00 PM
Here's a few photos from todays effort making a leg for a Windsor chair.

Groggy
2nd August 2009, 09:21 PM
Derek, nice work :2tsup:

derekh
2nd August 2009, 10:16 PM
A bit of information that I should of added earlier.

That's a piece of dry red bloodwood I'm turning. I use a $10 chisel from Supercheap to round off square stock, then use a 25mm roughing gouge, then clean up with a 25mm skew chisel and finish off by burnishing with shavings.

I have a problem with tear-out but I think thats a technique issue and I still get a few dig-ins with both chisels. I'm getting better and the pole lathe doesn't turn that fast anyway to be dangerous. Actually by the end of the day, it's not turning too fast at all because the motor gets a little weary :)

cheers
Derek

Skew ChiDAMN!!
2nd August 2009, 10:50 PM
You'll probably find that a home-made hook- or ring-tool will be of a lot more use to you than they are on a modern over-powered beast.

You should've made that stool, so you could rest one leg while driving with t'other. :;

vanzemaljac
19th August 2009, 08:43 PM
:2tsup:Veri good work.

mickelmaster
19th August 2009, 08:50 PM
Looks like fun :p Whered you get the blue quandong, because i heard its a ligthweight very hard timber which is perfect for the juggling clubs im hoping to make :)

derekh
19th August 2009, 11:03 PM
Michael,

A friend of mine has a small plantation (1ha) of blue quandong. She is planning to thin it and I hope to score the waste. I grabbed a log from a damaged tree we dropped.

I'll post more pics soon when all 11 turnings for chair are complete.

cheers

vanzemaljac
20th August 2009, 12:24 AM
I'm sorry, I do not know good English:?

mickelmaster
20th August 2009, 07:31 AM
Oh, would i be able to get some?

RETIRED
20th August 2009, 08:05 AM
I'm sorry, I do not know good English:?Your English is just fine. Better than my Serbian.:wink::D

artme
20th August 2009, 09:38 AM
All good :2tsup:.but why not in the wooturning sectiom????

ChairmanHare
16th September 2009, 10:20 PM
you will find the pole lathe is designed to use with greenwood ... and very hard work to use dry wood. With greenwood it should cut like butter and with dry wood the chisels will dig in and rip the wood as you say was happening. Hope this helps.