PDA

View Full Version : Billy Connolly's Chainsaw Adventure.......

WVB
18th May 2009, 11:44 PM
Hi all,
Jus a quick one. Did anyone catch the 'Billy's journey to the edge of the world' final episode with lumberjacks cuttting down an 800 year old infected pine + others with what looked like 1 or 2 pretty big husqvarnas in British Columbia.
i did also catch one of the jacks mutter dissappointingly at his mculloch!!
...and not one 'TIMMMBERRRRR" or any flannel in sight!!
either way, an awesome sight.
also, funnily enough every commercial break had a Stihl and a Husqvarna add it.
Cheers, Michael.:)

Claw Hama
19th May 2009, 07:41 AM
Eye, TUMBBBBRRRRRR ?? Didn't fancy that guys kick back scar.

Chesand
19th May 2009, 07:43 AM
Eye, TUMBBBBRRRRRR ?? Didn't fancy that guys kick back scar.

One lucky guy, I reckon

Bluegum
19th May 2009, 10:24 AM
One lucky guy, I reckon

Then he reckoned that cuting yourself with a razor hurt more than the cut with the saw did. I would have bought a few lotto tickets after that.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
19th May 2009, 10:32 AM
Then he reckoned that cuting yourself with a razor hurt more than the cut with the saw did.

To the ego, anyway. No bragging rights attached to shaving nicks. :D

Claw Hama
19th May 2009, 10:37 AM
100mm to the right and he would would have separated the left and right sides of his brain.

Bob38S
19th May 2009, 11:19 AM
Saw the program - love this bloke when he does his "documentaries".

Just a question for those who know - Is it still acceptable to "drop start" a chainsaw? I though that this was more than just discouraged.

Regards,
Bob

Chesand
19th May 2009, 11:59 AM
I would have bought a few lotto tickets after that.

I think he used all his luck with that episode

Pat
19th May 2009, 01:10 PM
I watched and enjoyed the series. The drop start had me concerned, as even 23 years ago when I was originally taught chainsaw safety, it was place it on the ground and put your boot on the plate and apply downward pressure on the handle to control the saw.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
19th May 2009, 01:24 PM
I can understand drop starts when you're all harnessed up and hanging from a tree branch.

But doing it when you're on the ground and can use a foot to hold her down...? :no:

Old farmer
19th May 2009, 01:37 PM
As with so many practises on the farm, are drop-starts but another expression of youth's "Up ya" to us oldies and any authority?

Drop-starts are potentially dangerous, we all admit, but actually dangerous in what ratio?

Our sons knew I wanted them to follow me in the 'foot on the plate start' but was it worth fighting over?

Thank God, they have escaped unscathed.......so far.

Andy Mac
19th May 2009, 03:05 PM
I did miss that one, but enjoyed his earlier ones of the series.
The handle held between the thighs and left hand on the front handle is a more preferred option to a drop start, but better when its warm...easier to pull etc.

Cheers

joe greiner
19th May 2009, 10:17 PM
I'm not sure we even get the show around here, but I must run the "drop start" by one of my mates.

If it means (almost) what it appears to mean, believe it or not, it can be done with a helicopter, too. BTDT, as a passenger.

Cheers,
Joe

bobsreturn2003
21st May 2009, 10:12 AM
nothing like a sharp chain to cut painlessly .and bloody quickly. its after the cut pain sets in . not keen on drop starting ,been a no no for years . need to have the saw under controll . not bouncing around . safe cutting . bob

Manuka Jock
21st May 2009, 10:53 AM
My training , both in the Sappers , and on a Civy course , was that drop starting a hot saw was ok , only if a log or large branch and the like , was between the saw and the operator.
That takes care of working in tight areas such as clearing log jams etc. , and working off the ground .

joe greiner
21st May 2009, 11:31 PM
Suppose the drop start is effective in starting the motor, AND the pull rope immediately breaks. Loose cannon? Tiger by the tail?:oo::oo:

Oh, and the helicopter thing is more of a jump start by autogyro effect, as with cars - part of pilot training.

Cheers,
Joe

BobL
22nd May 2009, 12:21 AM
Drop start has not been officially OK for some time in the official chainsaw operators TAFE courses in WA.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
22nd May 2009, 12:53 AM
Drop-starting is all fun & games until someone loses an eye. Then it's all fun & games, but without depth perception.

roygrady
22nd May 2009, 11:09 AM
drop-starting is all fun & games until someone loses an eye. Then it's all fun & games, but without depth perception.

Sounds like fun.