PDA

View Full Version : Revive a Lazy Susan bearing

Tiger
20th May 2009, 01:13 AM
I bought a Lazy Susan bearing a couple of years ago and it's been hanging on the wall waiting for the platter to be made and attached. So, I make a platter but the bearing has seized up a bit. Put some graphite on it and that helped a little but still becomes tight after some movement. Do you think I can make this bearing useable again?

oldiephred
20th May 2009, 08:37 AM
I suggest WD40 if you have it available.

Rum Pig
20th May 2009, 08:51 AM
I suggest lanolin (not sure of spelling) it seems to have a long lasting effect than WD40 and inox witch are both great products in there on right.
That is just my opinion I'm sure there is hundreds if suggestion for you.

RETIRED
20th May 2009, 08:53 AM
I bought a Lazy Susan bearing a couple of years ago and it's been hanging on the wall waiting for the platter to be made and attached. So, I make a platter but the bearing has seized up a bit. Put some graphite on it and that helped a little but still becomes tight after some movement. Do you think I can make this bearing useable again?
Unlikely. It will probably always feel "lumpy" due to rust patches on the bearing surface.
They are not that dear so would suggest a new one.

Rum Pig
20th May 2009, 08:56 AM
Fair point I would have to agree with you :D

Maybe you could make a rotating tool holder with it :rolleyes: the slightly bumpy ride would not matter then:U

Ed Reiss
20th May 2009, 12:02 PM
has the right idea...lazy susan bearings are the cheapest chiwanese bearings on the market and do rust easily - toss it and buy another.:cool:

DJ’s Timber
20th May 2009, 12:05 PM
I suggest lanolin (not sure of spelling) it seems to have a long lasting effect than WD40 and inox witch are both great products in there on right.
That is just my opinion I'm sure there is hundreds if suggestion for you.

Lanolin is too greasy for lazy susan bearings, it will make it harder to turn DAMHIKT

Barry_White
20th May 2009, 02:27 PM
I rejuvenated one that had been hanging my shed for four years. The first thing you have to remember is when it is hanging in a woodworkers shed it is going to get full of wood dust so the first thing you need to do is to blow the dust out with the air compressor. If you don't do that and you put any thing liquid in it, it just going to turn the dust lumpy and then it will be nearly impossible to clear it.

Maybe if you soak it in petrol and swish it around it may dissolve all the junk and loosen it up.

As the say they are cheap and even Bunnings sell them now.

Tiger
20th May 2009, 04:22 PM
Thanks all. The Inox actually freed up the bearing more so than the graphite.

Barry, you're right, there was a bit of dust in it and I didn't think to use the compressor but that is good advice.

Paul39
22nd May 2009, 10:38 AM
If it is still a bit catchy, put it on something level and put some diesel, kerosene, light oil, on / in the bearings and a kg or two of weight on it.

Every time you walk by it, give it a spin. In a few days it will have rubbed off the rusty places and run smoothly.

Tiger
22nd May 2009, 04:07 PM
Thanks, Paul, sounds like a good idea.

billym
22nd May 2009, 05:14 PM
Glad you got it working. Carrolls sell them dirt cheap I just bought three a few weeks ago. Thinking of getting a small one to use for routing circles