PDA

View Full Version : Scrollers gathering Sydney Area ?????

Bruce K
25th June 2004, 03:24 PM
With what appears an increasing interest in Scrolling and with many names here not on the "Australian Scrollsaw Network" newsletter group ,( or possibly not aware that they exist as they don't have a web site up as yet) with scrollers on the Central Coast and numerous in the Blue Mountains and Sydney basin region, are there people who would be interested in gathering. The Scrollsaw Network gathers now every two years , which for those learning , or just mucking around is far off and as the next is in Adelaide far away. Any hobby is easier when you have a guy up the street or an Uncle who assists you or gives you a clip over the ears for doing something stupid, thats how you learn.I've noticed a lot of basic questions being asked on setup, dust, different saws, pricing and the big one LOCAL AUSTRALIAN PATTERNS...... My learning has been mainly Patrick Speilmans books however these can add up financially, a very informative demonstration by Theo Kampas at the Albury show answered a lot of simple questions and mistakes that none of the books cover, spraying , sanding/finishing.....However a better question time would have helped but time was short..The Central Coast guys at the Sydney show concentrated on exposing the art of Scrolling to the general public and other "non believers" but didn't have the area for more sit down and dicuss questions, some people are just interested in the basics to get started and are stumbling...I might be wasting keystrokes here but living in an isolated area its been hard to move forward with this hobby and its just a thought that a casual meeting of scrollers at a BBq somewhere might be interesting for everyone , it doesn't have to be regular or complicated but see if it flies if not nothing ventured nothing gained Sorry for typing too long,I'm not good at this kind of thing( initiating ideas or gatherings etc...) If I don't hear Good Scrolling to All..... BruceK :confused: :confused: :(

oges
25th June 2004, 07:33 PM
Hey Bruce,
I am a member of the ASN and associated with the Central Coast scrollers. Im the guy who will now be doing the ASN newsletter so next issue will be coming from me. I was going to work on getting a webpage up for the network soon, will see what the rest of the committee thinks first, but I have to get things organised for doing the newsletter before I worry about the website. Work is on the way for the Networks next meeting in Adelaide and more details will come when we have them. I believe the Albury/Wodonga group are going to have their exhibit still and will be running it on the alternate years to the ASN exhibit, I think they are having one next year. We are hoping to promote the network at next years WWW shows in each location so more people will find out about us, but nothing is definate about that just yet.

I was demonstrating with the Central Coast scrollers at the Sydney show on the Saturday, we choose to do simple puzzles at the shows so that people get the basics of the saw and also so the kids have something to take home. We are pretty limited in the space area due to the turners display of finished work so we make do with what we get. They did have some scrolling seminars on the friday and sunday for people to have a better area to ask questions.

Not sure where a good place to meet would be, but i'd be interested if its not too far away.

Tikki
21st September 2004, 09:06 PM
Hi Bruce
Just wandering through the scrollers forum and came across your question (some months ago) re patterns. I am putting together a book of Aussie http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif
patterns at the moment and should be finished in about 2 weeks. At the present time have plans only to market the books in SA, but will mail interstate if there is enough interest .... perhaps the scrollers that visit this forum could let me know so I can judge the interest interstate in such patterns. Happy scrolling all.
Regards
Tikki

oges
22nd September 2004, 10:03 AM
I would be interested in your pattern book, please let me know the details of it when you know more