PDA

View Full Version : Two for $1.00 Parting Tools

Paul39
20th May 2009, 11:23 AM
Stuck my nose in a thrift shop and saw a bin of kitchen knives for .50 each.

Picked out two and bought them. At home took a couple of swipes on the course wheel with the sharp edge and cut back the tips a bit, then sharpened on the fine wheel.

Photos: 1. Knives as found.

2. All my parting tools, the top was my only one for years until I bought a box full of odd turning things and got the diamond tool at the bottom.

3. Tips from side, I grind free hand so angle varies. I start the tool high , then ease it down until it cuts.

4. Tips head on. You can see how small a cut they make.

5. Diamond tip grind, top is concave to conform to 8 inch / 203 mm wheel, bottom I take a curving swipe to make it convex. I try to keep the point at the widest part of the diamond. When it needs a touch up, I give it a touch on the side that brings it toward the center.

Most of my tools are carbon, so when turning I turn on the grinder located two feet to the right of the lathe bed and let it run. I do a few cuts, give the tool a swipe, do a few cuts, etc. With practice I have found I can get close enough grinding free hand. When I resume cutting I move the tool around a bit until the wood comes streaming off and it makes that nice hissing sound.

I have one Crown HSS bowl gouge, and I do use the jig for that.

orificiam
20th May 2009, 09:27 PM
Hi Paul good job with those tools.I have had a couple of blades from a electric knife-for awhile now--
wich I intend on making parting tools sometime soon. I think you just gave me that
little bit of a push to do it very soon--Like tomorrow.
Cheers Tony.:)

hughie
21st May 2009, 01:19 AM
Lateral thinking I love it. :2tsup:

My parting tool is an old blade off a industrial shrink wrapper, carbon steel but ground in a diamond fashion after all those fancy parting tools.
Works a treat, just got to devise a hanlde as its only 20mm wide. Which does not leave much for a tang

Texian
21st May 2009, 01:51 PM
Well done Paul. My parting tool (in use for some years so it's shorter now) looks like upper knife in first picture with tip grind like last picture. Those should serve you well. Mine is stainless steel but have no idea which grade.

Gil Jones
23rd May 2009, 03:28 AM
These are pretty good thin parting tools.
1/16" x 1 1/2" x 5 1/4" (blade length) x 9 1/2" (overall length) or
(1.6mm x 38mm x 13.34cm (blade length) x 24.13cm (overall length).
The blade is HSS, and is quite rigid, the handle is of some hardwood, and I believe it is made in China (though there is no country of origin marking).
The actual cost was $8.80 USD ($11.20 AUD), no tax, and no shipping cost.

http://www.amazon.com/PSI-Woodworking-LCTEN-Lathe-Tenon/dp/B000KIED00/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1243008433&sr=1-4

I have no idea if they would ship to Australia with same deal, but it could not hurt to ask.

Paul39
23rd May 2009, 06:03 AM
PSI (Penn State Industries) has a reputation of selling decent Chinese tools.

I will some day try one of their bowl gouges.

I suspect one could find the same tools in AU under a different name.