PDA

View Full Version : Scraps

MBUMIK
20th May 2009, 08:22 PM
howdy doody

just wondering what everyone does with their scraps

i mean the little bits, 20-30mm long that are left off of the blanks when you get the bits you want

i have only been making pens for 5 minutes compared to some of you guys and gals and i have a box full already

MIK

gawdelpus
20th May 2009, 08:45 PM
Some make centre bands at times for a change , I made a pen with as many cutoffs as I could fit at one time as a demo of the woods ,it got sold ,ugly as it was lol. depends on what your imagination can come up with , possible glue a lot on a board and sand flat and finish as a demo board of available timbers :) waste not want not hehe, by the time you have a biccy tin full something will come to mind , cheers ~ John

mick61
20th May 2009, 08:52 PM
G`day save them for finials when you start turning boxes. When you get right into it you can use them for legs for you boxes.
Mick:D

corbs
20th May 2009, 09:50 PM
Good for laminations and as already said, custom centrebands. I have started using my acrylic shorts to make bushes which I use when applying CA finish.

Corbs

HazzaB
21st May 2009, 01:31 AM
There isn't such a thing as scraps, as said above, centre bands etc, I do Key rings with some, so you get a matching set, the girls like them.

HazzaB

corbs
21st May 2009, 07:59 AM
... Key rings with some, ...

HazzaB

Can't believe I forgot key rings:doh:, quick, easy, cheap and look good.

salty72
21st May 2009, 10:42 AM
.......... I have started using my acrylic shorts to make bushes which I use when applying CA finish.
Corbs

As our 7,000 Acrylics (17 Colours) will be here in the next day or so we are planing to offer them in long lengths (sometimes upto 1000MM in length) this Should eliminate the need for a scrap bin,

Until then we face all the off-cuts and glue them together, (if not drilled) sometimes we glue them at 45degrees to give better contrast once you have a length suitable for a pen blank cut it length ways, sand and glue 180degrees about face (makes a really nice harliquin pattern)

MBUMIK
21st May 2009, 10:22 PM
thanks for the ideas guys

questions

what sort of glues do you use for glueing the different bits together

i am also going to make a celtic knot so i am just wondering what people have found to be the best glues for but joining as such, pva wouldn't be strong enough i would suggest

thanks again

MIK

NewLondon88
22nd May 2009, 10:12 AM
If the blank is long enough, I might turn a finial right at the top of the upper half
of the blank (before drilling it out, obviously) that way the grain will match the upper
barrel just like you match the upper and lower. Once I part it off, then I start my drilling.
Haven't done it a lot, but it looks kinda neat .. and different than the usual kit.

ElizaLeahy
22nd May 2009, 10:34 PM
I believe that titebond III is considered the best for laminating timber.

ColW
23rd May 2009, 12:17 AM
I put mine through the mulcher catch them in a bucket of water
let them soak for a few days then throw the mulch on the worm
farm

Ed Reiss
24th May 2009, 11:59 AM
I believe that titebond III is considered the best for laminating timber.

Titebond lll is weatherproof and dark color...use Titebond ll for interior work. Both work really great.