PDA

View Full Version : WOODWORKING QUIZ for 25 June 04

Ralph Jones
25th June 2004, 10:00 PM
Good Evening Friends,
Where do trees grow?

I know, I know what kind of a dumb question is that?

Trees grow every where but, the quiz is where do you think the most tree production comes from?

Pick one; North America, Europe, Asia/Pacific, Latin America, Russian Federation, or Africa.

Respectfully, :)

craigb
25th June 2004, 10:12 PM
O.K.
I pick Russia (not sure what you mean by Russian Federation)

E. maculata
25th June 2004, 10:27 PM
Latin America or Asia?

Bruce

Robert WA
25th June 2004, 10:43 PM
I would have said South America but am concerned about what is meant by "Latin America".

journeyman Mick
25th June 2004, 11:46 PM
Good Evening Friends,
Where do trees grow?.....
....Trees grow every where but, ......

It's a trick question, there's two continents that haven't had a mention, Australia and Antartica, I reckon the answer must be antartica. :D

Actually is that most trees grown, harvested or exported? And is it total volume or volume/tonnage per area or per head of population? :confused: Lies, damned lies and statistics! :eek:
Mick

Ralph Jones
26th June 2004, 09:52 PM
Good Evening Friends,
Many of you have arrived at your answers by logical thinking and some are close.

According to an article in the WOOD Magazine issue 124 on pg 84 it states that the industrial roundwood are produced by North America and Canada, with a combined account for approximately 40 percent of world wide industrial roundwood.

Here is the break down;
North America 40.4%
Europe 20.2%
Asia/Pacific, including Australia 18.1%
Latin America 10.1%
Russian Federation 6.7%
Africa 4.5%

Though most exotic woods come from Latin America which includes Mexico, Central and South America for a total of 27.5% of all round wood produced.

The middle East/Asia/Oceania which includes Australia produce 14.7%

Hope this quiz has been informative to those interested.

Thank you for your support.