PDA

View Full Version : Pine Bathrrom

Twelvey
26th June 2004, 02:58 PM
Hi
I'm new to the forum and was hoping for some advice.
I am thinking of lining a bathroom with pine - 140mm x 12mm T&G .
The floor will have ceramic tiles with one tile approx 150-200mm as skirting on wall. How can I make a neat join between tile and pine boards?
Boards will go to ceiling (2.7m) Should I use Gyprock cornice or is there a neater way to finish wall to ceiling joint?
Also can anyone suggest a suitable stain/laquer for pine in a "light usage" bathroom?

Many Thanks Paul

journeyman Mick
26th June 2004, 03:59 PM
Paul,
I would not recommend pine for bathroom lining use at all and especially not the commonly available VJ. The pine used to make VJ lining boards is pretty much bottom of the barrel stuff (actually, I wouldn't even make the bottom of a barrel from it :eek: ). It's extremely soft and prone to cupping, bowing and twisting when exposed to humidity fluctuations. To make a neat join between lining boards and your tile skirting it would be best if the lining boards came down over the tile edge. This might mean packing out the wall behind your lining to bring it out flush with the tiles. Otherwise you could make a cover moulding but this would tend to look like an add-on afterthought. Alternatively you could finish the tile backing flush with the lining and finish the edge of the tiles with a plastic moulding ("Tilelux" is one) or a small timber quad mould.

Mick

Twelvey
26th June 2004, 07:06 PM
Thanks, Maybe I better go back to tiles.

Gumby
26th June 2004, 07:35 PM
I've got a bathroom lined in pine which was here when we bought the house. It looks awful and one of my projects is to pull it all down and repaint the plaster underneath. If you want my advice, don't do it.

glock40sw
26th June 2004, 07:45 PM
G'day.
I help my old man do the bathroom at home.
We used 80x12 VJ.
The skirting tiles were fixed with a black tile glue that allows movement.
I think it was called resaflex?

The VJ was sealed on the ends with Polyurethane clear and then glued and nailed to the wall on top of the tile skirting ( tile was glued to wall, pine started where the tile finished). We left a 10mm expansion in the corners and covered the corners with a 38mm pine scotia.
The ceiling to wall joints were done with a pattered cornice. Where the V joint met the cornice, we just filled it will gap filla.
Looks bloody great (If you like Pine).

Hooroo.
Regards, Trevor
Grafton

wombat47
27th June 2004, 10:13 AM
I remember reading years ago (must have been when pine T&G first became readily available and was popular in bathrooms) that after cutting each piece to fit, apply marine lacquer to front, back and ends before fixing. Had visions of some poor sod wandering through a house full of various lengths of pine spread out to dry and wondering which bit went where.

Would you settle for a pine towel rack?

seriph1
27th June 2004, 10:34 AM
bathrooms can be a fun project! Lots of stuff can be done with small spaces

Twelvey may I ask ..... How old is you home? What style are you seeking to get with your place, and what general "feel" are you trying to achieve with this Bathroom ? eg. are you looking to get a country, "warm and homey" feel? etc. etc. - Many moons ago I lined a bathroom entirely with pine on two walls (4 inch floorboards..... go figure)- slate on the other two. For its time it looked fine and still does to a certain extent, but a LOT of other things have been done to that room to "help" it. Bottom line though, I didn't achieve the country feel I was seeking...... and years later I realise all the things I did wrong...... anyway, enough of the Sunday morning sermon - please let us know re: the look .... I have several pics that may help give you some ideas (maybe a cpl of your room or place would help too)..... and if you decide to go ahead with Pine Lining, think about other finishes than clear as it will probably either go yellow or orange over time......all this before we even get into the issues of rusting nail heads in this environment :)

Cheers

Shane Watson
27th June 2004, 11:10 AM
Paul,
I would not recommend pine for bathroom lining use at all and especially not the commonly available VJ. It's extremely soft and prone to cupping, bowing and twisting when exposed to humidity fluctuations.
Mick

And yet my parents lined their bathroom walls with Pine VJ board several years ago and it still looks as good today as when it was put in. Mind you looking good is one thing, taste is another arguement entirely.

Normally I would agree with the sentiments shown here by others and also in the industry (not just mick, sorry mick just used you as an example, wasn't targeting your post at all) against the use of pine VJ in bathroom environments, but I have seen it used and abused without any complications what so ever. High humidty levels that rise and fall on a large scale throughout the year have not affected it at all.

My parents being a large koppers retailer then used koppers log quarters to trim the bathroom out.

If you are concerned about the quality of timber available that is pre milled t&g, make your own. It ain't hard, I've made thousands of meters of the stuff using varing timbers from 150yr old recycled red cedar to plantation Tassi oak. Once you've bought the cutters from a reputable router bit manufacturer your laughing. I use a Jesada bit and it does a great job. It is a bit that should be used in a router table though.

Cheers!

journeyman Mick
27th June 2004, 10:57 PM
Shane,
No problems, I tend to be overly cautious and I'm sure there are bathrooms lined in pine that have survived well, but it's still not something I would personally advise.

Seriph,
no rusty nail heads if you use silicone bronze boat nails. I did a sauna in WRC at a resort, secret nailed with bronze nails but it was painfully slow compared to using my finishing gun.

Paul,
if it's the look you want then go for it but be aware of possible problems and perhaps prefinish the timber (esp. end grain) to minimise problems.

Mick

Tip hunter
27th June 2004, 11:17 PM
We have a cedar bathroom that i would never have chosen but have grown to like in some regards. It is a little dark but the wood resists mould and never looks dirty. It only requires a wipe occaisionally but no chemicals. The tiles are met by a strip with a rebate on the back edge at the bottom and simply cover the top edge of the tiles but is the same thickness roughly as the rest of the timber. I don't know if ours was treated at all. If anything it may have had a very light oiling when installed. Its on walls and roof and is around twenty years old and still looks good. If you like the style.

dzcook
29th June 2004, 12:33 AM
when i had the bathroom built on here a while ago the builder actually suggest that i line the SHOWER with t&g pine boards said that if they where sealed properly would last for years

i chickened out but and went for lamey panel instead

david

Theva
29th June 2004, 07:00 AM
I have seen some bathrooms lined with WRC, looked great. Not my cup of tea but if you are after that look then WRC is a better option.

Regards,

Theva

seriph1
29th June 2004, 09:10 AM
main issue with WRC is damage from objects being pushed against, or scraped along it. Nice looking stuff though, if it's the look you want.

dzcook - I think you were VERY wise to NOT have put timber in your shower recess...... hope you arent relying on that builder's advice any longer

:D

dzcook
30th June 2004, 11:49 PM
no im not i dont think he is a builder any more lol
spoke to building inspector said he had done work for me and he asked if it was still standing

really builds your confidence lol in picking abuilder

bye
david