PDA

View Full Version : Fancy Slimline Satin Gold Penkit from Rizheng

madcraft
21st May 2009, 07:32 PM
Product: Fancy Slimline Satin Gold
Maker: xiamen rizheng penturningsupplies china

This is the first review on penkits that are available to us here in Australia

I picked the Fancy Slimline to start mainly because of Price and it is what most people starting to turn pens will get to learn on

I had pre-purchase ideas already which were due to the kits being cheap and from China , I was happily surprised that it wasn’t Chinese rubbish but turned out to be of reasonable quality.

Plating : The satin Gold plating is 24K and the coverage and finish is even and to high quality although I cannot comment on the durability as I haven’t field tested it yet

Finial: Good quality and heavy , I compared it to a Daycom and Berea Finial and I couldn’t tell the difference

Tip: I found the tip a bit annoying as there is a raised area near where it fits into the barrel and you have to turn the barrel a bit proud of the bushing to get a smooth transition fit between the tip and lower barrel

Clip: this was the only real complaint I had about the kit , the clip was light and felt cheesy after the the clips From Berea and Dayacom

Mechanism : good tight movement very good quality , I couldn’t tell the difference between these and ones from Berea and Dayacom

CenterBand : matched the rest of the kit a bit light and cheesy but not a deal breaker ,

Overall view

Although I don’t like slimlines the kits are worthy of a look especially if you are starting out and don’t want to outlay a fortune ,
Would I buy them again : probably although my personal preference is for a streamline style and I would probably spend the extra and get them instead

While not the best kits that money can buy Rizheng as a supplier opens an avenue up to learners due to the price and range they have available ,

I would give the kit a 8 out of 10 depending on the durability of the plating

artme
21st May 2009, 07:50 PM
Good review Glenn. I think you have covered things well.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

I know lots of people don't care much for slimlines but they are an excellent kit for beginners and when your skills are at a good level they are a great kit for experimentation. The fact that the Rhizing is inexpensive is a good feature as you can afford even more experimenting than you normally might attempt.

I am inclined to agree with Peter - Penpal - in saying that the Slimline is under rated. Its close cousin, the Streamline is, IMHO, an excellent pen kit and opens up even more design possibilities.

I_wanna_Shed
21st May 2009, 10:51 PM
Thanks Glenn. It would be good to get reviews of all the different types out there - there's heaps!

Off topic though... I'm not sure why Slimlines are constantly refered to as 'beginner' pens. I definately would have thought a Sierra would be for the beginner. There's one blank to turn, and at a larger diameter it is also easier. Assembly is also a cinch on a Sierra.

I also think Slimlines are underrated though, they give a great chance to show off nice timbers, and the smaller diameter can also help in showing off some colour variations and patterns. As Artme mentioned, once you add in different tube lengths and centrebands, you really can get some unique designs.

Nathan.

madcraft
22nd May 2009, 12:39 AM
I think the reason the Slimmie is seen as a beginner is its usually the kits that are the cheapest and you get the slimline bushings with the mandrel so are usually added in the "Beginner " packs

I haven't moved up to sierras yet stick fiddling with the streamlines ,
the reason I prefer streamlines over Slims I think is the Streamline feels a bit more substantial in the hand { not sure why } even though apart from the centerband they are the same , I even made a centerband the same size as a streamline but it still felt like a slimline, weird , I find I do the same stuff with the stream that I would do with the slim { overthick barrells tapers, coves etc and still enjoying it so no need for the sierra or cigar etc yet